Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

Random Grundy pics…

13 Likes

My goodness, she looks good here! Hardly the same pony you brought home!

7 Likes

Sounds like you are going from one that’s not so smart or curious to one that might be too smart and curious for her own good. :laughing: BTW, I definitely prefer the later and ponies are fun.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same. Like, dang girl, you have a neck that doesn’t belong on a llama!

She is definitely a sassy little thing, too. My favorite - spicy mares. <3 <3

4 Likes

My trainer teases me all the time bc I say I only want geldings, but everytime she’s had to loan me something while mine was hurt or something, it’s been a spicy pony mare and I have a blast with them!

3 Likes

My grade pony, Salt, was too smart for his own good. He opened gates and untied our mare if he could get to her when she was tied. He figured out how to open panic snaps without being obvious about it, then he would just stand there and laugh to himself. The first year we had him, he probably thought his name was “Salt, QUIT!”.

From a very standoffish guy, he became very affectionate (probably when he figured out we wouldn’t hit him for his antics). I moved him from Colorado to South Carolina when he was in his 30s, and he was very happy with the move. He loved hot weather.

Rebecca

4 Likes

Got our first real bath. We had LOTS of feelings about standing in the crossties to dry off. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such angry pawing. :rofl:

5 Likes

Well, this morning I found the third substantial kick mark on the Old Man. I’ve witnessed Grundy backing up towards him to kick him, for no apparent reason.

To put it bluntly - If Grundy keeps it up, she’s going to find her way out of here. The Old Man has mega tenure, and I’m not going to tolerate him getting beat up, and I’m also not going to make my life miserable trying to keep them separated. Wonder if that’s why Shayney was so mean to her, keeping her in check.

At any rate, I’ll try some mare supplements, maybe Regumate? Here’s a maybe stupid question - why are kick chains labeled as safe for a stall but not safe for turnout? I have less stuff for it to get caught on in my pasture than I do my dry lot/stalls, by a long shot.

If you can supervise, go ahead and try it, is what I say. I wouldn’t tolerate that crap either.

Best damn trail horse I ever had was the yearling I raised (my user name) doing exactly what you are doing - hand walks and lots of them. Exposure to any and every thing I could think up. Ground driving down the road… yeah I know… but back then it was a quiet road and I was young enough…lol…

4 Likes

I imagine when they’re on the pasture there’s enough grass to keep everyone happy. The kicks are happening overnight in the dry lot area. I admittedly only have one hay area, so that’s order number 1 is to get two or more places for hay, that aren’t inside.

If the chains are like 6-9", what are they going to get caught on, other than them stepping on them which will happen in a stall too? It’s not my favorite solution, but if she’s going to stick around she’s gotta cool it. He’s too old for this crap.

2 Likes

Do you have panels or anything to confine her for a bit in the dry lot?

Kicking isn’t easy to break, but multiple hay piles might solve it. I doubt she’s mean, just hangry like every other pony. Probably resource guarding.

1 Like

One hay area is a tough ask, especially for a horse who may have had to fight for her share in the past.

My assumption on kick chains not being labeled safe for turnout is because of how the chain might whack the horse or wrap around the limb if they move faster than a walk.

I’ve had good luck with chaste tree berry for weird hormonal stuff, and it’s a lot less expensive and safer to handle than regumate. I like the liquid from Gateway. Not sure this really sounds hormonal, though, rather than straight up resource guarding or sorting out herd dynamics. Spicy mares often want to be top dogs.

3 Likes

There’s literally hay out every second of every day, and they can stand on opposite sides like a hay hut.

One more hay area is pretty easy to work out tho.

I will also put the kick chains on her overnight. She used to be submissive to Niko but is trying her hand at being head honcho. I’ve noticed a few casual swipes at me, too (swiftly dealt with), so she’s just going through “things” I hope.

I should note too - I have her on video being a butt to him even with no food around.

I have chasteberry and raspberry leaves on order, and she will wear kick chains if needed.

In the meantime I may rotate one of them being in a stall overnight, to give them a break from each other.

My youngster pony is a punk (for valid reasons) and will pick on anyone for no reason at all 🤷 I have to keep him separate unless supervised… he only gets to socialize over the fence. I’m hoping he will grow out of it. I hope yours grows out of it too.

2 Likes

Horses that have been low on a totem pole will often make their move when they think they can establish control. We are super careful about putting two formerly lower power horses together b/c of that, something that my inlaws learned the very hard way decades ago when they put two UNDER the totem pole horses together in a small pen. Maybe she’s being a hormonal filly or maybe she’s a bit in survival mode. I’d probably separate them just b/c it’s not worth it; bad things can happen when horses start throwing hooves and attitude. Learned that the hard way too.

3 Likes

They will have to learn to live together or Grundy will have to go.

Niko has always been king. He was king when Shayney was on site but now that she’s off site on lease, Grundy is trying to make the move. I don’t mind her taking over if she’s fair, but Niko has new marks and they had 2 acres to spread out today. He tries to avoid her, per the videos, but she’s faster than he is and really unfair. He’s yielding as fast as a 26 year old can.

I’m not set up to keep them separate long term.

I have mare supplements on order and kicking chains. I will keep her tired. If that doesn’t work, she’s out.

2 Likes

We had a lesson in humility today for Grundy. Put niko in a “stall” and moved Grundy around the dry lot, ensuring she moved her feet promptly when asked. She got lightly lunged with a saddle, then stood tied for 2 hours with pawing bracelets on to limit the theatrics I saw yesterday. She tried them and then got clanged a couple times with the bracelets and rethought her choices. She stood like a rock for the rest of the hour and a half.

Time to grow up a little, wild child, or you will find a ticket out. The Old Man has mega-tenure.

Again you sound like you don’t like the horse you have. I’d recommend you sell her, seems like you’re just fighting with her all the time. Maybe there is a reason she is thumping on your older gelding. I’d let her be out, will be easier on both of you. supplements won’t bridge the gap over just not knowing horses.

You’re very… combative? with your horses, IMO.

10 Likes