Unlimited access >

Gun Runner's Little Runners

Gunite took the G1 Hopeful today; Gun Runner’s daughter Echo Zulu won the G1 Spinaway yesterday.

Anyone who has a Gun Runner yearling entered in the September sales must be dancing a jig right now. Not to mention crossing their fingers and praying to the horse gods that their baby stays in one piece between now and the sale ring.

I love Candy Ride; I’ve long thought he deserves as much adulation and respect as Tapit and Into Mischief. His get aren’t flashy as a rule, but they’re durable and get the job done. I’m thrilled he has a son who seems to have picked up the torch.

7 Likes

I’ve been perusing Keeneland’s September catalog today. I’ve stopped at hip #50. Will continue tomorrow.
Gun Runner has certainly had some good mares, some very good looking get, and is getting some winners.

There is every indication that he will carry Candy Ride’s genes, along with those of his stellar female family line, forward in a big time way. We’ll wait and see, but it will not be at all surprising to see him be a success at stud.
Breeding + conformation+ race record, he has what is needed for success as a stallion and his get are looking good.

3 Likes

He did get some very nice mares, agree. I noticed a lot of commentary in BH, TDN, etc., last year about how nice and athletic the babies looked, and that wasn’t just hype from Three Chimneys.

Granted it’s still early as he’s only a first crop stallion but Gun Runner is already a huge success with 10 winners, 4 GSWs and 2G1Ws, as well as 1.25M in earnings from just 27 2yos to run.

4 Likes

Not Gun Runner related but seems silly to start a new thread. Sorry for the derail.

Claiborne has pictures of some Catholic Boy’s first crop. They look pretty good.
We’ll see a few of them in the November sale. https://claibornefarm.com/a-gallery-of-first-foals-by-catholic-boy/

MRH has at least one Gun Runner, Sixtythreecaliber. She’s run in only one race so far but looked very promising until she displaced (diagnosed via dynamic scope a few days after the race). Had tie back surgery last week. Looking forward to both hoping she’s in the positive results % for the surgery and her return to racing.

2 Likes

Loved Catholic Boy; he had old-school versatility and durability.

I’m strongly considering buying a few shares in the half brother MRH has for preview.

That’s a nice colt.

Don’t they have a Gun Runner colt?

In this group of 6 from FT, no.

Yes in their holdings they do (the Sixtythreecaliber filly(?)).

Guntown running for Asmussen at CD today R9, 1-1/16th on dirt. (9/18)

So much cuteness! I love the Kiss is a Kiss and the Collide babies.
Back to Gun Runner, please tell me there are two grays out there somewhere named Gunpowder ang Gunsmoke!

Gun Runner has two colts running today at Churchill Downs.

Cyberknife in race 7

I’m a War Lord in race 11

Cyberknife won but ran green and bumped another horse in the stretch. There is an inquiry. He looks like he likes his job. He was the best of the runners.

Stewards took him down and placed him 2nd.

I was ga-ga for Gun Runner in the Derby the year he ran 3rd. I felt so…sure. Plus, he’s just gorgeous to my eye…in a modest way. I agree that Candy Rides deserve a boost in stature ala Tapits.

I decided to follow the Classic Empires this year and so far they are doing well. Sport Pepper paid well for my little $2 bet.

1 Like

Gun Runner’s stud fee has jumped to a whopping $125,000 in 2022, up from $50,000 in 2021. That is one of the biggest jumps in a single year that I can recall.

Success breeds success.
1 Like
4 Likes

Reviving this old topic:

Gun Runner had a good day yesterday: Taiba won the PA Derby and Society won the Cotillion (both at PARX); Echo Zulu won the Dogwood, Gunite won the Harrod’s Creek, and Sixtythreecaliber won the Seneca at Churchill Downs.

2 Likes

5 stakes winners in ONE day. Most easily won too. Is that a record?

Predictions on Gun Runner’s advertised 2023 fee? My guess is somewhere between $125K and $150.