Unlimited access >

Has anyone flown with their big dog in the cabin? How did you do it?

I lost my Std poodle back in September and I really want another dog. But 1) I will have to travel with it overseas, and I don’t want to put it in a crate in cargo - heard too many horror stories - and 2) I really don’t want a small dog - of the size that is allowed in a carrier under the seat.
Conundrum.
I know there are “companion dogs” and “service dogs” allowed in the cabin. I’ve seen them at the airport, a Malamute, a big Doodle, etc.
My question is for those who have gone that route.

I think this page seems to cover it, tho it may not be comprehensive or up to date: https://www.petsthattravel.com/airlines-that-allow-dogs-in-cabin/

TL;DR - looks like all regular carriers require under seat sized pets.

Airlines started cracking down on bogus, untrained support animals in recent years. Now you have to have proof of your disability and proof of training for the animal too.

5 Likes

It’s Not easy to cheat on service dogs, especially with overseas travel. Be aware that the airline will likely verify by calling your trainer to ascertain that the dog was indeed trained for SD work.

Maybe wait until your overseas travel is over (maybe after you retire if your job requires travel) if you want a large dog, or change your mind about small dogs that fit under the seat.

4 Likes

It’s not about cheating but finding out how I could make it work. I have heard of programs to train your dog to be a certified service dog. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying that…I was also curious to see if anyone here had done it…

I think the training wouldn’t qualify you, but would mean the dog could serve as a Service Dog to someone with a real need.
So unless you require a Service Dog & can provide proof, a qualified dog couldn’t routinely accompany you on flights in the cabin.

Another issue could be quarantine restrictions in whatever country you’re traveling to.
IIRC, UK had a pretty long quarantine period for dogs.
Would you want to leave your dog in quarantine?
Apologies if you’ve already researched this.

5 Likes

Why not just buy an already trained and certified service dog to be your new companion?

1 Like

Unless you have a disability that a trained service dogs assists with, it is absolutely cheating. It’s disgusting how many people abuse the ESA designations to bring their ill-mannered dogs places they shouldn’t be. Like airplane cabins.

21 Likes

The rules are in place for a reason. If you don’t want your dog (which is a pet, not a legitimate service animal) to travel in cargo, then leave it at home.

It takes a significant amount of time and expense to train a service dog. Someone who doesn’t genuinely need one should not be getting one, taking it away from a person who truly needs the help. (The organizations that train them would probably not just sell it to any old person anyway. There are wait lists and eligibility requirements.)

12 Likes

Thank you for the lecture. Sometimes my attempts at humor are not appreciated. I stand chastized, Next time I will add a humor-related emoji.

3 Likes

I’ve seen enough BS from people who just want an excuse to drag a dog everywhere that I would find it not at all surprising that someone might believe they could just go buy one. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

They aren’t cracking down that hard. I know of someone (not a friend!) who flies with their doodle in the cabin regularly and the dog is definitely not a trained service dog and they definitely do not have a disability that needs a service dog. So if you are willing to lie then you mostly likely can get away with it, at least with domestic airlines in the US. (With a dog - probably not with an exotic animal anymore.)

1 Like

The airlines ARE starting to crack down on it. There is now a separate company/division/airline department (I don’t know if they are part of the airline or employed by the airline) that follows up on requests for SD accommodation on Domestic plane trips. They DO call the trainer or organization listed as responsible for training the dog and ask for verification that the dog is an actual service dog. This is a frequent discussion topic among SD trainers and on SD groups and many other trainers are also reporting being called for verification.

People may be able to get away with cheating currently or in some cases, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Also be aware that even dogs that are valid SD, if they are not behaving decently (out of control, barking at people, growling, eliminating indoors/inappropriately) they can be refused access or asked to leave (well, not DURING a flight! lol).

4 Likes

Is there a mechanism allowing you to buy a seat for a dog? Just curious if this would be a potential solution to allow people to travel without exposing their dogs to the risk of going in the cargo hold.

(This is why I typically drive with my dogs - safer for us both and easier)

2 Likes

If you are going overseas, and happy to put your pet through hours of hanging around in airport departures before flying for multiple hours, be aware that any EU country, the UK, NZ and Australia all have very stringent entry requirements for animals and may even require quarantine. Check before you go.

It takes four visits to the vets, two on either side if the border, the absolutely correct paperwork going and coming twice and more than £1k for my sister to take two dogs and a cat to France and back from the UK - by car. Actually, it’s a bit cheaper right now because the rabies shots don’t need to be repeated, just the blood tests.

6 Likes

I wish I could drive over the ocean! I also wish that one could just buy a seat for their well trained, well behaved dog, but nope.

I have a couple good friends who travel regularly to Europe and back (Denmark, France) with their small dogs so I am aware of what it takes papers wise. No quarantine where I am going, and direct flight, in any case.

Oh well, maybe I do need a small dog after all :grin:

Another consideration:
In Googling to see regulations, numerous sites mentioned how much added stress dogs suffer in planes.
Cabin pressure & constant noise were mentioned most often.
@sophie Is it really that important to have your new dog with you on these trips?

FWIW: I grew up with a miniature poodle - not a toy & she was the best dog a kid could have.

1 Like

A miniature poodle is actually what I would choose lol, unless I fall in love with a small dog at my local SPCA .
With my previous dogs, I’ve done just that, left them behind with my daughter and or trusted friends. It just didn’t seem fair to the dog. When I go overseas it’s for months at a time, for family reasons…not a week here and there.
I am really just “thinking aloud” at this point.

1 Like

Are these real horror stories though? Or rumors? I could ask people I know who are professional dog handlers and breeders. One of my dogs was bred out of a bitch from Australia who was flown here alone for that purpose. Other dog handlers fly around the country with their show dogs - I can’t imagine they fly in the cabin to Westminster, etc.

Lots of people fly their dogs, and I have to imagine they do it often and not in the cabin. So I think it’s probably not unsafe, just requires coordination.

3 Likes

Found this post by the AKC. It’s looks like the first thing you should do is reach out to the airlines to see what exactly their pet policy is. Hopes this helps

3 Likes

Where does a dog pee on an intercontinental flight? I’m curious.

P.S. that is a genuine question, by the way

1 Like