Have you ever jumped a higher level jump while on course (xc)?

Well damn Rayers… how’d you know I did that at the old Wayne Hunt Club HT??? :stuck_out_tongue: The field/ tree line on the North side going back in to the wooded area

2 Likes

Before WHICH rules?

1 Like

I realize there aren’t any rules against this but it ‘s different ’ situations’ now. iAnd judges throwing up yellow cards etc stuff that goes on records - instead of balls to the wall never wear a watch days gone by. like traveling around schooling on course… I lived 3 hrs away from any schooling opportunities. And I had a fast, handy horse that needed to spin his wheels a bit.

Haven’t there been varying rules over the last few decades about this? I think I recall a time where all that counted was your flagged course (IOW, you could jump anything else without penalty), a time when you could only jump flagged obstacles (since in theory those were “safe” to jump).

I understand the era of the DR rule allows these situations to be parsed more finely (was the decision to jump this specific jump by this specific rider dangerous) but I thought prior to that there were rules, which changed a few times.

Am I remembering correctly?

3 Likes

I have not gone back to check al the old rulebooks, but, while the wording of the rules has changed many times, and are often subject to interpretation, the last time I remember it being against the rules to jump an obstacle-not-on-your-course was in the mid to late 1980s.

I have checked my (hard copy) 1990-91 rule book, and it explicitly says (Article 1748) “Thus, jumping an obstacle marked for another competition” (e.g., another level) “is permissible.”

I was an organizer in the late '80’s and early '90s, and distinctly remember having a discusion with our TD, who, after the AHSA took out the rule against jumping an obstacle-not-on-your-course, wanted to apply the rule that said “the only practice jumps that competitor may jump are thse provided by the Organizing Committee”, but that clearly applies to a different situation.

1 Like

In Canada our rulebook explicitly bans larking, so absolutely no jumping anything not on your level’s flagged course. You’re automatically TE.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the information.

So perhaps I just remember varying interpretations-stated-as-fact throughout the 90s/early 2000s.

I also recall concerns about competitors jumping fences or encountering approaches that were unsafe/in disrepair.

I was so sad early this summer to find that Fairhill only has schooling Tuesday nights now. I work until 430pm, and to get home, get changed and get straight to the horses it is already 530pm. Get ready, make the short drive to Fairhill is AT LEAST 6pm. Schooling closes at 7pm, so it doesn’t give much time.

Add in I do not have a regular trainer right now and I would have to add on to someone else and they are all getting to the schooling place earlier than I can so it’s just so hard. On a Sat, I have a few friends I can con into joining me, even if they are just leading around one of the young ones with there phones ready to video…er call for help, yeah that’s it, call for help, not video my epic fail.

I am planning to go to Buckworth next weekend with someone but that’s like 40 min away compared to 15…sigh…

1 Like

Sorry, I just saw your post! If you haven’t been, Fox Crossing is nice if you don’t need to do a ton-- we went there in March and I thought the bank/ditch/water options were great for low level horses.

Thanks, I have been there and I think last time I talked to Marty she said I can school without a ground person if I just let her know. I kept waiting to tie it into a show but they haven’t had one in a while. I liked being able to go there, do the combined training event and go school or jump show and then school cross country, or just the derbies but I haven’t seen a show listed on their website in a while. It is also about 40 min away right now, so combining it with a show is ideal.

I am planning to go to Buckworth with a friend this Sat (fingers crossed their plans don’t change!) and while I don’t think anyone will notice me sans a ground person, that isn’t exactly the venue to have something happen - just by nature of where it is. My horse isn’t the type to do anything predictable like hang out around the trailer or go look for other horses if she is without me. You will probably find her on the beach at Hack Point, or more likely running the streets of Philly since she likes cooler weather, she’ll go north…maybe she’ll make it to Canada…but not home or with a herd since they do not seem to concern her.

Though her usual reaction to me falling off her seems to be that she thinks I was possessed by demons and generally likes me and wants to keep me around, maybe she’ll be at the local church looking for a priest, or possibly trying to call the Winchesters.

Meanwhile I’m in a ditch somewhere unable to call for help on my smartwatch due to lack of cell reception. (For reference…I may go alone and just be more cautious if friend can’t go.)

I accidentally jumped a higher level jump xc during an event this year. There were 3 similar jumps (color and style), in the same general area but not next to each other. It was pouring rain, I jumped the house backwards (literally wiping rain from my eyes 5 or 6 strides out, did not see the flags). I did not get a dangerous riding but I was pretty embarassed, clearly wasn’t intentional on my end. The fact it is allowed (when you jump it the right direction etc, if I am understanding this thread) clears up for me why the TD asked - did you go an jump your flagged jump (this was before it was noted I jumped it backwards). And then jokingly said to me "Ok high achiever. " I didn’t even realize that schooling a jump not on your course could be a thing. I find it fascinating, and the reasons on why one would do it. Thanks for the conversation.