Unlimited access >

Helmet awareness day

Is it no longer a thing? I haven’t seen any press or advertisements for it.

This weekend.
https://www.horseillustrated.com/horse-news-2017-09-international-helmet-awareness-day-is-september-16-and-17#:~:text=Riders4Helmets.com%20has%20teamed%20up,September%2016th%20and%20Sunday%2017th.

Is that article from 2017? I have been looking for sales and have not seen any mention of it either.

Sorry, I googled “helmet awareness day 2021” and didn’t notice the year. Lots of articles, but nothing for this year. I wonder why?

The website is gone. Maybe that organization is no longer viable? What a shame, they did good work.

That is the impression I got, which is definitely a shame. Also pretty sh*tty that the minute the organization goes away the manufacturers can’t wait to abandon the cause :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

I know nothing personally, but I read a post from a tack shop owner on another site. Others were asking about Helmet Awareness Day in the US. It is currently being advertised in Canada as Sept 20-26. Apparently, the manufacturers have been protesting against one because they do not have many helmets due to COVID-related shortages. However, yesterday the same tack shop owner posted that there will be something here in the US soon, but it is not yet public. So, if you can wait another week or so to see what happens before buying, it might be worth it. However, who knows what will be available. On a side note, I went horse trailer shopping yesterday and there are not only none in stock to look at, but the manufacturer was not even taking orders due to COVID-related shortages…

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen two tack stores up here in Ontario advertising Helmet Awareness Week from Sept 20 to 26, with 20% off all helmets. These two retailers carry quite a variety of brands so it sounds like the manufacturers (up here at least) are on board.

1 Like

SmartPak is hinting on Twitter today to check them out next week if you are in need of a new helmet.

2 Likes

Email from Jeffers this morning says 9/20 (Monday)!

3 Likes

SmartPak has helmets on sale now and Adams says they will have Ovation and OneK helmets on sale Sep 24-26.

1 Like

I just shelled out $200 for a new Charles Owen (I was hitting the 5-year mark with mine), so I’m sure they’ll be on sale soon!

OK so while we’re discussing helmets and sales (since I just replaced one last month at $400+ dammit)…

What fits similar to a CO GR8? I already tried both models of the Trauma Void helmets and they stop just above my occipital bun and didn’t feel secure.

Ok so here’s your answer…

Some shops are doing a Helmet week, that started today. (Smartpak, Adams, etc)

Some are just doing it this Saturday and Sunday.

PLEASE consider getting yourself a MIPS helmet. IT WILL help protect your brain more than a helmet without MIPS.

There are now MANY more models with colors, fabrics and wide brims with MIPS.

I made a guide so you can see ALL the options and pics of each color choice:

If you’re interested in learning more about MIPS helmets, please come join our Facebook group!!

(remove the spaces to get the link right) www.facebook . com / groups / Mipshelmets

We are actively tracking the best prices on MIPS helmets during this sale week on a spreadsheet that’s in the FB group page. SO COME make sure that you don’t pay too much!!

Em

4 Likes

I splurged on the CO Halo. I’m not sure whether it will fit - I attempted to try one on at Dover a couple weeks ago but they had none in the store. I know my size but heard CO is more oval? My current ride is the Samshield which I like but it’s around 5 years old.
I wanted MIPS so I’m willing to pay for it. But I got a bike helmet over the summer with MIPS for $40. So what’s the logic - or is it just fashion - explaining why this is 10x as much?

1 Like

Does anyone know of any MIPS helmets that aren’t black? It’s not that I object to the color black but black out on the trails for hours is HOT lol

I got a Uvex MIPS helmet for trail riding, as it was the most ventilated MIPS I could find. It is black, but that has not seemed to be an issue in the very hot, humid Tennessee summer. It is very light weight, and the dial-a-fit makes it fit well.

I do really like this helmet.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/uvex-exxential-ii-mips-23387

Thank you- looks like they have it at my local tack store (and on sale this week). I’ll have to go try one on

I wonder why it’s such a secret this year? I’ve been hoping to get a OneK MIPS wide brim, but neither SP or Jeffers carries those. Not that there is anything wrong with my TraumaVoid [quote=“tabula_rashah, post:17, topic:764268, full:true”]
Does anyone know of any MIPS helmets that aren’t black? It’s not that I object to the color black but black out on the trails for hours is HOT lol
[/quote]

OneK makes the wide brim MIPS in a light gray.