Unlimited access >

Help: Handling riding expenses $$

So, this past October I moved to one of the top show barns in my area for Equitation, Hunters and Jumpers where they also hold horse shows.

(Background on why I left my previous barn: my trainer wouldn’t let her girls jump any bigger than 2ft :frowning: (even if you were on lease) unless you bought your own horse. So, after being there for about 6 years and after leasing all the horses she had to offer, my parents and I made the tough decision to leave and bring me back to the barn I started out taking lessons at when I was very young, knowing that I could continue to grow as a rider there.)

The big difference for me at this barn is not only the up in lesson fees ($50-$75 depending on trainer and paying an extra $25 to owners for the use of their horse if you’re not on lease) but especially since I went from paying $650 a month for lease (including 4 lessons a month) to considering lease at this new barn which would be $1000.00 + not including training; due in part that the board is more, and the horses are anywhere from $30,000.00 to $100,000.00 so it’s something to expect.

Another thing to add in is that more than 3/4 of the riders at this barn owns their own saddles and at my other barn every horse had their own saddle, so my mom just dropped a bittersweet $5500 on a saddle which she can barely afford since my dad won’t consider buying me a saddle.

(My mom is one willing to negotiate–convinced her to get me a saddle since I had nothing decent to ride in–while my dad on the other hand who pays for all my riding expenses is one where when he puts his foot down and says no, there’s no negotiating. Don’t get me wrong; he’s strict about $ but a very generous man when he wants to be.)

Since I moved to this barn to expand my junior career in equitation, I’ve come to seeing how expensive it is, and my parents have already turned down the lease.

I was wondering if there is anybody else out there in my situation :sadsmile:who could give me some tips, suggestions etc. in order for me to be able to find oppertunities to keep doing what I love at the level that I want to be able to move up to.

Has anybody ever been a “working-student”? And how does that usually work…

The owner/top trainer at this barn is very good with coming up with prices for lease and working with price ranges so I’m told but I know it’ll still be expensive.

What I’m hoping is that my dad will agree upon paying the same as he has each year ($650) my mom agreed to pitch in $200 and when I start working part time for the summer that I can come up with the rest for half-lease, lessons and horse shows. But even that I think my dad will turn down because he doesn’t want me or anybody else to pay more than he’s already paid.

Any comments, suggestions, tips, ideas are welcome!

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457204]
So, this past October I moved to one of the top show barns in my area for Equitation, Hunters and Jumpers where they also hold horse shows.

(Background on why I left my previous barn: my trainer wouldn’t let her girls jump any bigger than 2ft :frowning: (even if you were on lease) unless you bought your own horse. So, after being there for about 6 years and after leasing all the horses she had to offer, my parents and I made the tough decision to leave and bring me back to the barn I started out taking lessons at when I was very young, knowing that I could continue to grow as a rider there.)

The big difference for me at this barn is not only the up in lesson fees ($50-$75 depending on trainer and paying an extra $25 to owners for the use of their horse if you’re not on lease) but especially since I went from paying $650 a month for lease (including 4 lessons a month) to considering lease at this new barn which would be $1000.00 + not including training; due in part that the board is more, and the horses are anywhere from $30,000.00 to $100,000.00 so it’s something to expect.

Another thing to add in is that more than 3/4 of the riders at this barn owns their own saddles and at my other barn every horse had their own saddle, so my mom just dropped a bittersweet $5500 on a saddle which she can barely afford since my dad won’t consider buying me a saddle.

(My mom is one willing to negotiate–convinced her to get me a saddle since I had nothing decent to ride in–while my dad on the other hand who pays for all my riding expenses is one where when he puts his foot down and says no, there’s no negotiating. Don’t get me wrong; he’s strict about $ but a very generous man when he wants to be.)

Since I moved to this barn to expand my junior career in equitation, I’ve come to seeing how expensive it is, and my parents have already turned down the lease.

I was wondering if there is anybody else out there in my situation :sadsmile:who could give me some tips, suggestions etc. in order for me to be able to find oppertunities to keep doing what I love at the level that I want to be able to move up to.

Has anybody ever been a “working-student”? And how does that usually work…

The owner/top trainer at this barn is very good with coming up with prices for lease and working with price ranges so I’m told but I know it’ll still be expensive.

What I’m hoping is that my dad will agree upon paying the same as he has each year ($650) my mom agreed to pitch in $200 and when I start working part time for the summer that I can come up with the rest for half-lease, lessons and horse shows. But even that I think my dad will turn down because he doesn’t want me or anybody else to pay more than he’s already paid.

Any comments, suggestions, tips, ideas are welcome![/QUOTE]

First world problems right here. How awful that you asked your mother to spend FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a saddle when you knew that she can barely afford it. (Particularly since there are many quality options for half that price.)

I think getting a part time job sounds like a great way to pay for the very expensive hobby that you chose.

Since your parents are willing to provide such a significant amount of financial backing, and the only issue at the other barn is that you couldn’t jump over 2’, is your own horse in the budget if you bring it to the old barn? “Yours” could mean a purchase, or an off-farm lease.

Sell/return that $5500 saddle. There is NOBODY on this earth that needs a $5500 saddle when you can get great quality custom ones for half that. Buy a good quality used saddle and you’ll be well under $2000 (and easily under $1000 if you look around). My first saddle was a $600 Collegiate, and I treated that thing like it was platinum, I was so grateful to my parents for their generous gift. And that saddle served me well until I bought a horse and then got a saddle to fit her, instead.

And really, your dad pays all your riding expenses. Saying he’s “unwilling to negotiate” over $5500 means nothing considering he already pays thousands of dollars per year. Making the “unwillingness to negotiate” sound like HIS problem is ridiculous. Quite frankly, even if he DIDN’T pay any your riding expenses, not wanting to negotiate a 4-figure purchase is completely in his right. He’s the parent, and this is not a $5 item.

Lastly, you say that 3/4 of the riders have saddles, but clearly the other 1/4 manages to ride in whatever’s available. Don’t get sucked into the spiral of jealousy and wanting what everyone else apparently has. There are always people with more (I see it at my own barn). Wouldn’t it be nice if I could be like the others and have multiple County saddles for each $$$$ horse I owned? Sure, but the fact of the matter is a) I have one inexpensive horse, who is kind, capable, and sound, and I am very lucky for that, and b) I have one quality (Black Country) saddle that I bought used, and it fits us both well. I get to ride relatively often (less so in the winter…), which is something many people never get to do.
So I take excellent care of my inexpensive horse and quality saddle and sleep well at night without thinking I’m a “have-not,” because quite frankly, nobody on this board is a have-not.

Have to agree with GoForAGallop, your Mom did NOT have to spend $5500 on a saddle, there are plenty of suitable options for much, much less; I hope the custom saddle was fitted to the horse you are leasing but please be aware that it may not fit every horse you end up riding, so there may be a need for another saddle in your future. Additionally, I’m sure there are more than 2 training barns in your area, shop around, you could just find a “regular” barn, lease a horse that is affordable and still get some decent training but I take it you feel you must be in a top notch training barn and nothing else will suffice. Additionally, you (your parents) are spending all this money to lease horses, you paying for other peoples horses and never owning one yourself. If you can’t afford the big dollar horses you want to ride, the fancy training barns and all the expenses that go with showing at the top levels, then maybe you need to reconsider more affordable disciplines or settle for showing at lower levels. Sometimes life forces you to accept that you can’t have it all.

Return the saddle, move back to your old barn, use the 5k to lease/purchase a horse of your own that is capable of jumping over 2ft. Problem solved.

I’m going to agree that there was no reason to spend $5500 on a saddle, especially when you don’t have your own horse so it’s not like it was custom fit for a horse with a hard to fit back. While I very much understand the appeal of being at one of the top barns in the area (I’m in the area and am pretty sure which one you’re talking about), if you really want to ride, lease, and show, then you may need to find another barn that you can afford. Consider how far you want to get and how long it will take you to get there - is it the 3’6 equitation that you want to do? If it is, it’s going to be difficult to get to that point without at least a lease. But I’m guessing you’re going to come back and say that going to another barn is not an option.

Otherwise, a part time job is obviously a great option for earning money to pay for expenses. See if there any opportunities to groom for the barn at shows you’re not attending for extra cash. I’m not sure what options they have there, but talk to your trainer and see if they have working student opportunities. Every barn does working students differently, so I’m not sure if that’s an option or how it would work.

I am floored by the 5500 saddle. Who is telling you that you need this? You need to re-evaluate your priorities. Do you want to ride or do you want to show off? Ok I walked away and came back before posting. I’m appalled that out of all the listed options to spend money on, it was the saddle that won. You sound really young and really need guidance and some tough lessons about money.

Another thing–what about using the money from that saddle to pay for lessons? Then you could ACT the part of being a talented, effective rider with great equitation instead of worrying about LOOKING the part. There are many fantastic riders out there who don’t show (or show less frequently, show at smaller shows, or do other disciplines like jumpers or eventing).

I’d feel guilty as sin if my mom didn’t have the money and yet was still spending it on me. Money is unfortunately a factor on how far people can go in our sport and trying to keep up the with Joneses only ends with money problems and eventually still find yourself left behind the real campaigners.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have top instruction. However, at some point financial limits become a factor for all of us and we have to work within that. As others have said, consider selling your saddle and purchasing (since I’m assuming you have some type of french saddle) another used french saddle - they run about half the price. This way you can used the money from the sale to help finance your lease for the next month or so. There are plenty of saddles out there that will look similar to the top french saddles. I have a saddle that was about 1/5th of the price but looks very similar to a Butet. Also, talk with your trainer and explain to her that you don’t have the budget for five figure leases. See if you can work out a half lease situation or a working student situation. You never know until you ask.

Welcome to the wonderful world of financial reality!
First of all, I think you are to be praised for asking for some help in navigating the prickly path of being an ambitious junior rider in an environment that promotes overspending as “normal”.

You need to get VERY good at making lists, figuring out what can be bought used (almost EVERYTHING), and planning ahead.

Unfortunately, you’ve already been duped (Not necessarily by an individual, but by the environment) into buying a saddle you don’t need, and the money that was overspent on that saddle could have gone into things that cannot be found at a discount. You seriously need to rethink that purchase and sell it, or if possible, return it. Use the money to buy a used saddle plus some lessons.

Get on eBay and look at used saddles and you will find MANY under $1,0000 that would fit in at a show. (plus show cloths, tack and other big ticket items) The judge won’t notice or care that you ride in a ten year old collegiate. They WILL notice how you ride, and that everything on you and the horse is clean and fits well.

If the instruction is comparable, I’d look into leasing a horse and returning to the old barn. You don’t neccesaryily have to lease a horse already on the program…there are possibilities outside of the horses currently there, but finding them is where you need to be creative.

If you are a dedicated, KIND, responsible teen, you may be able to find a full or partial lease in your area, sharing expenses with some one not currently in your program. There ARE adults who own nice horses that they don’t ride enough…and who would love some one to help foot the bill to be at a nice barn.

You parents need to help you navigate this process, since kids should NOT be the contact person for an ad, flyer, or other public notice. You can to enlist your parents in helping you, and if they see that you have written lists of ways to save money, hypothetical budgets, short term, mid range and long term goals…they will be impressed by your thoroughness and be much more likely to help you figure things out. You need to get you dad on your side by showing him that this is not simply a money pit and that you are not going to ask him to spend HUGE amounts of money on unnecessary things like a brand new saddle.

Sometimes trainers know of someone who would like to be in their program, but simply cannot afford It.

Also, If your parents (NOT YOU) inform the trainer at the new barn that the budget it “X” per month, and either a part lease is found in that budget, or you will regretfully have to leave…The trainer may magically find a horse for you to ride. They can either kiss your $ goodbye, or work with your family within the budget.

If you want to be in this area of the sport and have a limited budget, you have to get savvy about the inner workings of barns. Be diligent about becoming the best rider you can be, never be late, take EXTRA care with every horse you touch, take EVERY opportunity to gain knowledge (watch the vets, watch the shoers, watch lessons and clinics)…other opportunities will follow when the adults around you see you being kind, responsible and serious.

Good luck, you can do it!

[QUOTE=WannabeDQ;7457273]
Return the saddle, move back to your old barn, use the 5k to lease/purchase a horse of your own that is capable of jumping over 2ft. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Bears repeating.

Yup, you had no business spending $5,500 on a saddle when you could have found a good quality used one for much much less money. And why didn’t you find out the prices at the new barn before making the decision to move? You need to work out a budget based on what your parents are willing to contribute each month (plus any $ you are capable of earning) and then find a barn and trainer that fit within the confines of your budget. Convincing your mother to buy a saddle she can barely afford is not acceptable. BTW didn’t you just order a brand new CWD? You have posted on numerous threads about buying CWD saddles, tendon boots, Olgivy pads, show jackets etc. maybe you should stop buying all the extras when you don’t even have a horse to use them on yet and concentrate on finding a trainer who can work with your budget. You’re putting the cart before the horse.

[QUOTE=BAC;7457406]
BTW didn’t you just order a brand new CWD? You have posted on numerous threads about buying CWD saddles, tendon boots, Olgivy pads, show jackets etc. maybe you should stop buying all the extras when you don’t even have a horse to use them on yet and concentrate on finding a trainer who can work with your budget. [/QUOTE]

NONE of those things will have one whit of an effect on your riding. I guess the question is do you want to be the best rider you can be, or do you want to look like you fit in?
Yes, it’s fun to shop. Try window shopping (I’m looking at a Dover catalog now, as a matter of fact, with zero intention of buying anything), eBay, consignment. No judge will care about the brand or color (as long as it’s dark) of your jacket. No judge can tell what kind of saddle you have from across the ring considering your butt/legs should cover most of it.
Focus on why you got into horses to begin with. If it’s to feel wealthy, go for it, suck your parents dry. If it’s to learn to ride, think about what one NEEDS to learn how to ride; it’s actually not that much. Pretty sure George Morris didn’t have an Ogilvy when he was learning to ride, and somehow he did okay.

High quality USED saddles are the smart way to go, especially! since you are riding and need a general saddle vs a true custom - they don’t depreciate the minute you buy them. (same as cars - learn this lesson) And you will get the added benefit of GM’s approval and not get the critique that you are riding in a shiny new one! :wink:

Things that are necessary for improving your riding

1. access to a safe horse capable of performing at the level to which you aspire
  2. quality instruction from a professional capable of taking you to that level
    If your goals involve horse showing:
  3. entries
  4. show training
    3)shipping/travel
  5. depending on the level - braiding, day care, grooming if you are in a program that requires it, etc

Things you don’t need:

1. a custom cwd
  2. a GPa First Lady
  3. parlanti boots

It sounds like you have spent a lot on “accessories” and now lack the funds for the necessities. I would suggest that you figure out a concrete riding budget with your parents and decide what program will give you the most bang for your buck. You should include in your budget a monthly allowance for equipment. Anything above that allowance must come out of your other expenses (ie: if you have a month to month lease but need a $700 helmet then sit out a month of the lease. I know you are young and this not what you want to hear but it is an important lesson. When you want to spend $$$$ you have to sacrifice $$$$ somewhere else OR find a way to earn $$$$ elsewhere (which will likely cut into your riding time). These are hard decisions, good luck!

I think that if the OP’s parents moved their daughter to a top HJ barn to focus on equitation they should have expected the sticker shock coming from a two foot lesson barn. The lesson and lease prices are going to be much higher for the quality of instruction, goals, and horse they are looking at.

It’s also going to be difficult to both want to fit in and do well and not get sucked into buying everything the other kids or trainer says they “must have.” I don’t think the OP needs a $5500 saddle when she doesn’t even own a horse but I can understand that in this world there is a great deal of pressure to buy whatever the trainer says she needs and inexperienced people are probably going to follow the trainer.

I think that the parents and daughter need to decide if they really want that top equitation instruction then they need to find a barn and trainer that are willing to work with them to be as budget minding as possible in that world.

There are other barns out there that are in between the two.

OP, not sure how old you are - I am guessing around 14 or 15 if you are talking about getting a part-time job next summer. If so, the sad fact is that you don’t have a lot of years left as a Junior. If most of your jumping experience for the last six years has been at 2’, it’s not likely that you are going to get to the top levels of the Jr Equitation ranks before you age out unless your family has mega $$$ to make things happen quickly and your parents/supporters become more focused on making it happen for you.

Seems to me like you need to re-assess what it is you love about horses and the horse world. If you are set on being part of the hunter/jumper/eq show scene where the costs of entry and participation are quite high (as you have found), establish a budget and then have a frank discussion with the trainer at the current barn about what your options are. If you don’t realistically have any options there, you might be better off at a different barn which has a different position in the market.

If it’s horses and riding that you really love, you might think about going a different direction. Maybe there is a local Pony Club barn where you could still jump and go to competitions but the focus would be more on learning and doing.

I’m not saying achieving what you dream of is impossible, but I do think it’s unlikely you will it achieve it as Junior given what you’ve shared. You might get more satisfaction - and value for the money your parents are spending - by adjusting your dream rather than hanging around the fringe of where you think you want to be.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7457468]
It’s also going to be difficult to both want to fit in and do well and not get sucked into buying everything the other kids or trainer says they “must have.” I don’t think the OP needs a $5500 saddle when she doesn’t even own a horse but I can understand that in this world there is a great deal of pressure to buy whatever the trainer says she needs and inexperienced people are probably going to follow the trainer. [/QUOTE]

If the trainer says she NEEDS that saddle, the trainer is a liar (perhaps profiting off the sale, as well?).

I think in a world where a 100,000 horse is normal a $5,000 saddle is an affordable and normal option. It’s possible that the trainer gets a kickback, and that everyone around her has that saddle because it’s popular, etc.

What matters more is that it’s something the parents can’t afford and there are less expensive options.