Unlimited access >

Help: Handling riding expenses $$

[QUOTE=Pipkin;7457665]
I know the hunter world is a bit crazy and a rich kid’s playground, are you sure this is the route you want to go down? I would say out of all the disciplines, this is the one where being on a budget will hamper you the most.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking along the same lines. OP, if your goals are broad enough to involve being a good rider/horseman in general, have you considered switching to something like eventing? Helluvalot cheaper, plus IMO teaches you a lot more about riding and caring for horses. Just an idea.

No, it’s something I haven’t considered. I know people who do Eventing but I just can’t see myself in any other discipline than English.

[QUOTE=kalidascope;7457697]
I was thinking along the same lines. OP, if your goals are broad enough to involve being a good rider/horseman in general, have you considered switching to something like eventing? Helluvalot cheaper, plus IMO teaches you a lot more about riding and caring for horses. Just an idea.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457690]
That’s a good idea!
I’m trying to go to some of the Maclay/A-Rated shows with friends of mine who would be showing in them so see what it’s like and learn from it.[/QUOTE]

There you go. Go to these shows as a groom and watch and learn. Whatever you learn is going to be yours forever. If you go early in the morning and watch what goes into prepping horses to show you will learn a vast amount.

And this barn has shows on the property? Well that is exactly what you need. That is a major boon.

Believe me, I totally understand about wanting to reach the 3’6" while you are still a junior. That would be an incredible experience. But it is also fantastic to be able to do hunter derbies, Ariat Medal, or Amateur Owners for the rest of your life!

As you are already 17, I would also advise getting a job outside of riding. My DD was a cashier! Can you imagine the unglamourousness of it all? But that job was steady money, it was at a store big enough to where she seemed to have no problem getting weekends off to show when she needed them, and there were no barn politics. And she has a tax return sitting here waiting for her when she gets back from college:)

Good luck!

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457706]
No, it’s something I haven’t considered. I know people who do Eventing but I just can’t see myself in any other discipline than English.[/QUOTE]

Eventing IS english riding. :rolleyes:

Have you asked the barn if you can work off a portion of your lesson fee?

Thanks for the great advise, what you said in the first paragraph I am definitely going to do.

Like I said earlier, I don’t at all expect to make it to the Malays, my main goal is to get my feet wet and gain some kind of mileage in the show ring.

I am planning on applying for a job this summer where I worked last summer as well and earned a very generous amount which I’m hoping will be enough to help out my parents if they let me with the riding expenses.

I don’t own my own horse so my trainers urged me to go with a saddle that has a pro-panel so that it will fit multiple horses with the aid of different half-pads. I went with a CWD after trying several brands.

I definitely plan on staying at this new barn, I have already learned so much both on the ground and in the tack. With lessons, they’re much more physically demanding of the rider.

[QUOTE=carroal;7457670]
This is a tough but not impossible situation. If you want to be a hunter rider or eq rider at any point in your future, I would stay at this fancy barn and soak in every ounce of knowledge you can. Everything from tack, to bits, to saddles, etc. Watch and learn. Take as many lessons as you can. Make the lessons your priority. That is where your budget should go.

If money is already an issue I’m sorry to say that you may not make it to the Maclays. However, you could become a very good rider and riding is a sport you can do your whole life.

While you are lessoning and when you are at the barn, ask for extra work. Show that you are a smart and ambitious kid. Avoid drama. Once you have a relationship with them, perhaps you can work off some costs.

In the meantime, get a job outside of the barn that is steady and pays you some money to pay for things you will need or a show or two.

I am concerned about the saddle. What kind is it? You do not own a horse? So you do not know what horses it will it? That concerns me more than the initial cost.

At any rate, do not go back to the two foot barn. Stay with the fancy one and soak in every bit of knowledge you can. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Whoops, well goes to show how much I know about eventing…
Lessons are not what my parents are worried about- it’s lease and show fees. As far as that goes yes, the barn employs students to help them pay off their riding expenses.

[QUOTE=Simkie;7457714]
Eventing IS english riding. :rolleyes:

Have you asked the barn if you can work off a portion of your lesson fee?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457682]
My first and foremost goal is to work something out regarding half-lease with the barn manager with whom I’ve been told by many of her students that she is very good about making people’s price ranges work.

My second goal being to begin lease in late April early May.

My next goal is to continue in equitation. I’ve conversed with the barn owner before and she told me that because I’m 17 I would have to do 3’ because I’m too old to do Mini Medals or 2’6.

Because I didn’t have these opportunities at the other barn, I really aspire toward being able to move up to 3’6, but that all depends if my trainers feel comfortable putting me up to that level, and if there is a horse available with that kind of ability.

As far as shows go, the barn I ride at hosts many A/AA rated shows and have a 3 week summer showcase etc and host qualifying shows. When it comes to showing away, I’d like to go to Vermont Summer Festival and Fieldstone Show Park. But I’d be completely fine showing at home since the expense would be less since there would be no travel/trailering fees.

I would like to compete in classes where I’m qualifying for finals, like Medals. But just getting my feet wet and gaining some kind of mileage is really what I’m looking for in the long run.[/QUOTE]

If you’re 17 already, then it don’t think the 3’6" equitation is really realistic for you. If you’ve only been doing 2’ at your other barn, that’s a big jump up in height and skill level.

While I know you want to jump higher, there are 2’6 divisions that you could compete in. You’re right that you’re not eligible for most of the mini medals, like the MHC mini medal, but you would be able to the 2’6" at MHJ finals - the children’s medal horse final is set at 2’y and you just have to be a junior. I know that’s not as cool or as good as MHC Finals, but it’s something if you wanted to do a 2’6" medal final/something to shoot for if you’re at that level. You’d also still be eligible for most of the 2’6 divisions, though not medal divisions - Fieldstone has special children’s/adult hunter and modified child/adult hunter and equitation divisions.

If you can swing a half lease on a 3’ horse and can do the 3’, then you’ve got MHJ and MHC junior medal finals. New England Finals is 3’3, but that’s always a possibility, too. Knowing the barn that you’re at, they generally have some pretty nice horses available so if you can afford the lease or half lease, then I think doing the 3’ is a realistic goal for you.

If going to finals is your absolute goal, I would focus on the plentiful on-farm shows that are available to you to get qualified for finals and then have finals be your away shows. Depending on the costs at your barn, Fieldstone could be another less expensive away show option, I’m not sure if they typically stable there or if you could ship in, but shipping in to Fieldstone for a day could be a more affordable option for you. Staying at home and sticking to the local away shows where you can ship in will save a lot on shipping, care, and stabling fees.

Don’t spend your money on all the latest in tack and apparel. Just because something’s in doesn’t mean you have to have it if you have an alternative that is perfectly usable. I use my tack and wear my clothes/boots until they’re completely dead. I would love to buy my horse a fancy new bridle just because, but I know I’ll regret spending that money later because the bridle I have is perfectly usable and in fine shape. Save the money you want to spend on things like CWD boots and Ogilvy half pads for things that matter to you more, like horse shows. I know it’s hard to resist - I have a hard time with it, too, but when you use your own money and not your parents, you figure out pretty quickly that you buy what you need and shop for deals, you don’t buy everything you want because you’ll see your bank account total going down fast just for the sake of having all of the expensive things that everyone else has. If you have old riding clothes that don’t fit you, like show jackets or tall boots, then sell them on eBay or to younger riders at your barn to make a little extra cash to add to your horse show money pool.

The most important thing for you is going to be making a budget and sticking to it. Sit down with your parents, figure out what you have to spend, and use it carefully.

I hope this helps you at least a little. Good luck - maybe I’ll see you around this show season.

If you’re really interested in learning, then it wouldn’t hurt to attend some local horse trials/events, dressage shows, etc just for the chance to be exposed to other disciplines. They have something to teach you if you’re willing to listen, and shouldn’t cost you anything other than time. Just show up and observe, and ask questions if you find someone to talk to. It’s great you want mileage in the hunter/eq ring, but based on the above, your education as a horseman and rider includes some exposure to other disciplines as well to broaden your horizons. Especially dressage.

I also second what hj0159 said about aiming at the MHC classes. BigEq is not realistic at 17 years old with no showing at that level, but the mini medals are absolutely doable, and maybe even the New Englands if you’re motivated and can make it happen within your budget. Don’t waste money on expensive trendy crap. It just gets outdated and makes you feel stupid. Good luck, work hard, and have fun most importantly.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457720]
Whoops, well goes to show how much I know about eventing…
Lessons are not what my parents are worried about- it’s lease and show fees. As far as that goes yes, the barn employs students to help them pay off their riding expenses.[/QUOTE]

Think about eventing…what your parents pay will cover many recognized competitions, the focus is on good riding and horsemanship, and nobody gives a crap what saddle you have.

[QUOTE=hj0519;7457721]
If you’re 17 already, then it don’t think the 3’6" equitation is really realistic for you. If you’ve only been doing 2’ at your other barn, that’s a big jump up in height and skill level.

While I know you want to jump higher, there are 2’6 divisions that you could compete in. You’re right that you’re not eligible for most of the mini medals, like the MHC mini medal, but you would be able to the 2’6" at MHJ finals - the children’s medal horse final is set at 2’y and you just have to be a junior. I know that’s not as cool or as good as MHC Finals, but it’s something if you wanted to do a 2’6" medal final/something to shoot for if you’re at that level. You’d also still be eligible for most of the 2’6 divisions, though not medal divisions - Fieldstone has special children’s/adult hunter and modified child/adult hunter and equitation divisions.

If you can swing a half lease on a 3’ horse and can do the 3’, then you’ve got MHJ and MHC junior medal finals. New England Finals is 3’3, but that’s always a possibility, too. Knowing the barn that you’re at, they generally have some pretty nice horses available so if you can afford the lease or half lease, then I think doing the 3’ is a realistic goal for you.

If going to finals is your absolute goal, I would focus on the plentiful on-farm shows that are available to you to get qualified for finals and then have finals be your away shows. Depending on the costs at your barn, Fieldstone could be another less expensive away show option, I’m not sure if they typically stable there or if you could ship in, but shipping in to Fieldstone for a day could be a more affordable option for you. Staying at home and sticking to the local away shows where you can ship in will save a lot on shipping, care, and stabling fees.

Don’t spend your money on all the latest in tack and apparel. Just because something’s in doesn’t mean you have to have it if you have an alternative that is perfectly usable. I use my tack and wear my clothes/boots until they’re completely dead. I would love to buy my horse a fancy new bridle just because, but I know I’ll regret spending that money later because the bridle I have is perfectly usable and in fine shape. Save the money you want to spend on things like CWD boots and Ogilvy half pads for things that matter to you more, like horse shows. I know it’s hard to resist - I have a hard time with it, too, but when you use your own money and not your parents, you figure out pretty quickly that you buy what you need and shop for deals, you don’t buy everything you want because you’ll see your bank account total going down fast just for the sake of having all of the expensive things that everyone else has. If you have old riding clothes that don’t fit you, like show jackets or tall boots, then sell them on eBay or to younger riders at your barn to make a little extra cash to add to your horse show money pool.

The most important thing for you is going to be making a budget and sticking to it. Sit down with your parents, figure out what you have to spend, and use it carefully.

I hope this helps you at least a little. Good luck - maybe I’ll see you around this show season.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the advise!
Now that you said all that, it was a slap in the face (along with a lot of other posts on here) but you’re right- I’m going to keep my perfectly fine show coat, and bring my out-grown show shirts and breeches down to a consignment shop for riding apparel/tack.

I guess we’ll just have to see how things work out!

Maybe see you around, too! Kind of wish I knew who this was.

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7457723]
If you’re really interested in learning, then it wouldn’t hurt to attend some local horse trials/events, dressage shows, etc just for the chance to be exposed to other disciplines. They have something to teach you if you’re willing to listen, and shouldn’t cost you anything other than time. Just show up and observe, and ask questions if you find someone to talk to. It’s great you want mileage in the hunter/eq ring, but based on the above, your education as a horseman and rider includes some exposure to other disciplines as well to broaden your horizons. Especially dressage.

I also second what hj0159 said about aiming at the MHC classes. BigEq is not realistic at 17 years old with no showing at that level, but the mini medals are absolutely doable, and maybe even the New Englands if you’re motivated and can make it happen within your budget. Don’t waste money on expensive trendy crap. It just gets outdated and makes you feel stupid. Good luck, work hard, and have fun most importantly.[/QUOTE]

I will ask around and look into it!
And thanks, I will talk to my trainer about MHC and New Englands! I think that if I can show her that I really want this, then maybe she can help me with making things work.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457706]
No, it’s something I haven’t considered. I know people who do Eventing but I just can’t see myself in any other discipline than English.[/QUOTE]

Eventing is the original English! It used to be called Horse Trials. It ran alongside Hunter Trials, which is just the cross country phase. This evolved into Working Hunter, a showing class to display hunting horses over rustic fences, and that became the ‘Hunters’ classes of the US.

Eventers do have a certain personality type though. God knows I couldn’t do it, and I think I’m fairly brave!! Give me fences that fall down any day!

Maybe dressage would be more your thing? Because it is international, there are a lot more training and learning opportunities, and the working pupil system is very established and official in Europe. Also there are of course Olympic and young rider schemes. Poise and style are big factors, and that seems to interest you.

To be brutally honest though, if money’s an issue (and you have a lot more financial support than I did growing up, so I think you’ll be fine) I would be tempted to go for a non-subjective sport, like Show Jumping.

To add - Showjumping is so much about the talent and attitude of the horse, I think in a way that is why it is still possible to pick up a good ‘unrecognised’ jumper for cheap. If you can find a bold ex racehorse, that might do the trick.

Because in sj, the training is of course important, but in a way secondary. If a horse loves to jump, it loves to jump. Eventing/dressage/hunters etc, so much depends on training, and of course a horse that has a good few years of professional level training is reflected in the price.

I would not buy a saddle until you’ve determined what horse you are going to lease. Just because CWD calls them “pro panels” does not mean that a saddle will fit every horse.

You do not want to be limited to a specific horse or two because they are the only ones that fit your saddle. I have two horses. They cannot share saddles. When I got the second horse I had to scramble a bit to find something that worked for her. Now that I have her going under saddle and muscled up appropriately, I’m upgrading her tack. Even so, I’ve taken my time and just bought her a saddle that retailed for $3K but which i bought for $500. And if you think you’re hard to fit, I’m 5’11" with very long legs. It took me a lot of looking to find a saddle that would work for both of us.

If you are just moving up to 3’, I think the saddle is overkill. That said, I wouldn’t dream of spending 5K on a saddle as there are so many high quality saddles (even custom made to your specs) for so much less. However, lots of people like the CWDs, so maybe they do something spezial. I think you should ride in as many saddles as you can borrow and then take your time to find something used. If you buy a used saddle, you can generally get your money out of it when you sell it. A new saddle will show significant depreciation as soon as you put it on a horse.

Eventing is fun – you get to concentrate on three different phases (dressage, stadium and XC) so you are working on your horsemanship in three ways that all work together to make you a better rider. It’s not as pricey as hunters and it’s a very welcoming and fun community.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7457880]
Even so, I’ve taken my time and just bought her a saddle that retailed for $3K but which i bought for $500. And if you think you’re hard to fit, I’m 5’11" with very long legs. It took me a lot of looking to find a saddle that would work for both of us.[/QUOTE]

I’m built exactly like you, what did you end up getting?

OP, please go thank your parents profusely for supporting your riding at all and reconsider how you’re coming across. You’re not playing at the higher levels, your tack and equipment doesn’t matter much at all. Most of us learned just fine on schoolie saddles that were cheap, and got nicer equipment as it was affordable and necessary. It’s not necessary right now, and you sound tremendously unappreciative of what you’ve got. Pushing your mom into paying for a 5K saddle is unnecessary, and will not fit as many horses as you’ve been led to believe. On behalf of those of us who pay for our own horses and gear, please stop buying name brand tack and go take lessons instead. And thank your parents. Again.

OP, it seems like your parents are committed to furthering your riding career. If true, that’s a great thing!

Now, I’m going to be honest here. You seem to be focusing on the “stuff” vs. the substance of the sport. I’m not going to tell you to sell your saddle but I am going to warn you to be very careful about making sure you have the latest Ogilvy pad, soft shell jacket, GPA helmet, Parlantis etc. You will very quickly end up stuff-rich but skills-poor.

It is really hard to constantly be surrounded by people who have the newest and best of everything. They may (deliberately or otherwise) make you feel like you cannot be a successful rider unless you have those things too. I get it! Many of us have been there.

You have what it takes to become a good rider, though. You are training with the best. You need to save every penny you have for one more lesson; one more dollar to potentially lease a horse for the show season; one more class entry fee. It takes dedication and the gratification is not as instant as bringing home a new pair of Tailored Sportsmans.

Make a rule for yourself now: if your trainer doesn’t say you need it and if it doesn’t go directly towards improving your riding (i.e. lessons) don’t buy it.

Maybe you can’t afford to lease a big eq horse right now but perhaps you could find something in your price range that will allow you to do the mini medals?

One more piece of advice: make yourself absolutely indispensable at the barn. Always be the pair of extra hands that can lunge or hand walk, run to grab a bit from the tack room, set a jump. Make it known (but don’t demand) that you are happy to hack horses. Watch everyone’s lessons. Become the best wrapper at the barn. Your trainer may or may not end up throwing rides your way but by doing the above you will become a great horsewoman and much more marketable for an eventual working student position.

Become a sponge.

It may not pay off right away but the connections and relationships that you establish now by being responsible, helpful and always eager to learn may end up in rides popping up in unexpected places.

Umm it’s called working. Lol this post is crazy, you have some really nice parents. I could never let my mom buy me a saddle that expensive, especially if I wasn’t riding at the upper levels. I work a full time job, i’m a full time college student, and I finance my riding but sometimes I have to lessons every other week instead of once a week and I have a $1000 saddle that suits me fine.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457682]
But just getting my feet wet and gaining some kind of mileage is really what I’m looking for in the long run.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, and you really want to ride and learn to RIDE and LEARN, sell the $5500 and get over the idea of having to have the brand name fancy stuff. Look at other barns and other training options.

The $5500 that your mom is spending on a saddle is more than I have spent on any of the horses that I have ever had. Were they fancy, 3’6 Big Eq horses? No. But they were safe, taught me a lot, and when I rode well enough, brought home year end awards on a local level. Plus I could trail ride them, take them to the beach, and got to ride every day. I worked off my lessons. It sounds like you are in an expensive area, and so am I (SoCal) and, starting at 12, I worked at the barn after school every day. In the summer I mucked 30 stalls 4 mornings a week so I could have my horse.

$650 a month that your dad is contributing - take one or two months and buy a non-trendy, functional saddle. Jn4Jenny has given you some great advice on this multiple times. My collegiate was $300 and while I never had the finances to show AA or big EQ, it’s held up through 15 years of riding. It didn’t impede me from top 5 finishes at IEA nationals 2 years in a row (in off the rack Ariats, and consignment show clothes).

If you are willing to work and contribute, either by working off lessons or lease expenses at the barn, or by getting a part time job - babysitting, cashiering, mucking stalls, combined with the extremely generous $650 (which, really, is a LOT of money, OP) you should be able to ride and learn plenty.

I think you need to re-evaluate what it is you really want to get out of riding. If you really want to ride because you want to learn and be around horses, maybe you should look into a different barn where you aren’t feeling pressured to have the coolest fanciest most expensive stuff. If you are 17, with a limited budget, the Big Eq isn’t a realistic goal. Could you be happy showing on a local level in the equitation? Could you find a barn where your parents money would go further? Of course everyone wants to show at the highest level, but showing at a C show or a local show can be competitive and rewarding too. Sometimes we have to be realistic about what is and isn’t financially attainable.

Or could you switch disciplines? Eventing combines show jumping (like jumpers) dressage (like flatwork) and cross country (jumping outside of an arena). $650 a month would likely get you much, much farther at an eventing barn than at an AA show barn.

Sorry this got a little long - but OP - you need to really honestly assess this situation - your parents are being extremely generous and it sounds like you aren’t being as grateful as you could be. Your parents are spending a LOT of money to fund an expensive hobby for you. You say that what you want out of riding is to “get your feet wet” - if that really is what you want, I guarantee you can do it in a $500 saddle, not a $5500 one.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457204]
So, this past October I moved to one of the top show barns in my area for Equitation, Hunters and Jumpers where they also hold horse shows. [/QUOTE]

Solution: Move to a cheaper barn. There has to be something in between a “TOP” show barn and the barn where you can’t jump over 2’.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457204]Another thing to add in is that more than 3/4 of the riders at this barn owns their own saddles[/QUOTE] So? It doesn’t matter what everyone else does or has.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457204] so my mom just dropped a bittersweet $5500 on a saddle which she can barely afford since my dad won’t consider buying me a saddle.

(My mom is one willing to negotiate–convinced her to get me a saddle since I had nothing decent to ride in–while my dad on the other hand who pays for all my riding expenses is one where when he puts his foot down and says no, there’s no negotiating. Don’t get me wrong; he’s strict about $ but a very generous man when he wants to be.) [/QUOTE] :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Do you realize how INCREDIBLY spoiled and entitled this sounds? Parents shouldn’t “negotiate” $5500 purchases for non-essential items with teenagers because they have nothing “decent” to ride in. I guarantee you can find something “decent” to ride in for less than 5GRAND. I hope your mom sees this and sells that shiny new saddle right out from under your spoiled a$$.

Jumping 2’ or 2’6 is not a “junior career.” Unless you are the next Lillie Keenan or Victoria Colvin, this isn’t a junior career, sorry.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7457204]
I was wondering if there is anybody else out there in my situation :sadsmile:who could give me some tips, suggestions etc. in order for me to be able to find oppertunities to keep doing what I love at the level that I want to be able to move up to. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, the 99% of the world who can’t afford $100,000 horses. We suck it up and WORK for it. Some of us had parents who didn’t pay a CENT towards lessons, at all! I hate to break it to you, even though you don’t think so, your parents are contributing a LOT of money so you can pursue your hobby, and it sounds like you are being a spoiled, ungrateful brat about it. Be thankful for the opportunities that you DO have. Get a job, contribute to the expenses (and I’ll be once you start earning $8/hr, that $650 a month and that $5500 is gonna seem like a whole lot more money all of a sudden). Or, realize you are going to adjust your expectations to match your available reality - move to a cheaper barn and show unrated or B/C/A instead of AA.

Also, ATTITUDE. Opportunities come to those who are willing to work hard, put in the effort, and not complain that they don’t have the fanciest and best of everything. I was a working student for years. When I got the opportunity to ride and show nice, fancy horses of my trainer clients (paid for by either my trainer or the clients too!) that I could never, EVER dream of affording, it was because I worked my A$$ off, every day, rode anything that was available, cleaned, did every menial task I could find, and helped with whatever I could, without complaining. I scrimped and saved and bought used/consignment/cheapest I could find. Was I embarrassed to not have the coolest, newest trendiest stuff? Yeah, absolutely. Was I jealous of the girls with the fancy horses, and the GPAs, and the CWDs? Of course. But that’s just how life works.

Yes. You have to actually, like, WORK, though…you don’t get to just “negotiate” people into giving you what you want. Usually, you show up, and you WORK, doing chores like mucking stalls, cleaning tack, mixing supplements, doing horse laundry, turn outs, grooming, etc. You get “paid” an hourly rate that would then get subtracted from your lesson costs. I got $10/hour as a working student. If the training is $1000 not including the lease fee, and you got $10/hour as a working student, you’d have to work 100 hours a month to pay off the training.

Sounds like you will need to find a REALLY well paying part time job.

Leave the big fancy top show barn. Find somewhere more reasonable where your parents generous monetary contributions will go farther. Show locally or at B/C shows. Sell the $5500 saddle and look for something used. There are many comfortable, functional saddles that can be found under $1500. Even around 600-800! You don’t need to pay 3-5k just because you want to say you have a fancy french saddle. You’re just paying for the name, and fancy leather that will wear out faster. The difference in quality is a between a 5k fancy french brand saddle and something you can pick up used for 1K or less (and you’ve already gotten lots of good advice on this) when you are jumping less than 3’ - or really even when/if you move up to 3’6 - is basically nil when you don’t have a single horse you are trying to fit it to.

Give yourself a big old harsh reality check, ATTITUDE check, and go THANK YOUR PARENTS. And then apologize to them for behaving like a spoiled (they “wouldn’t negotiate?!?!!” to buy you a $5500 saddle and lease you a 30k horse?!?!) brat! And then thank them again, for supporting your very expensive hobby.

OP, I would advise you to leave the top show barn too, and not because of the saddle fiasco. The problem is that with $650 to spend and as a lease client doing the 2’6, you are not likely to be a very important client. And you are likely to be one of the worst riders there. The kids doing the 3’6 are the ones that will be getting any extra rides, you will be cleaning stalls, cleaning tack and raking the aisle if you are permitted to help. They aren’t going to let you on the $100k imports with your experience.

Go to a barn in the middle where you can learn a lot, preferably from a trainer who does a lot of training in addition to lessons so has a lot of extra horses around who need work, and volunteer to help. Ride anything she will let you on, without complaint,with a smile on your face, a thank you after, and leaving it and its tack clean and tidy when you are done. Clean stalls and water buckets. Make yourself valuable and she will go the extra mile for you. Do the bare minimum and she will do the bare minimum for you. That is life.

Keep the saddle, it is probably too late, but never make that mistake again. Buy a Bobby’s bridle to go with it, and a couple $9.99 pads from Dover. A soft touch girth from VTO once you find out your lease horse’s size. Nicest and cheapest out there, all my horses use them. That is all you need.