Unlimited access >

Help me color coordinate for showing

Cool! Dressage and Working Equitation!

My opinion for your handsome boy:

With the green pad, I think I would go with tan breeches to match your guys warm tan tones. I would consider a nice burgundy coat, which is also a “warmer” color and I think would look fab with that green pad. Alternatively, I’d stay with the tan breeches instead of grey and consider a nice darker blue jacket. Not navy, but more of a Royal-ish blue or lighter shade of Royal-ish blue. That would also look great with that green pad. AND the orange pad. And would go nicely with your horse’s tan coat.

3 Likes

Well, I would’ve mentioned tan breeches because they’re so neutral and I’ve spent much of my life wearing the damned things. :laughing: But for some reason I thought “tan” was not a popular or desirable color for the realms of dressage.

Apparently, I was wrong. :flushed:

So, to revisit the issue: Buy tan breeches. They go with everything! Including your horse!

1 Like

I got my bronze medal wearing tan breeches and a navy hunt coat! Won Regionals that year, too! Oh, and I showed in black velvet saddle pads (not kidding).

I graduated to black and white after that. However, I noticed when scribing that people who wore colors stood out from the sea of people in black and white.

2 Likes

I’m liking the tan and navy/other blue combo!! I think that would look pretty nice with either pad. I also have a blue pad and a pink one navy would be nice with too. That simplifies things!!

2 Likes

I agree that most of the world is still a sea of B&W, BUT when you are B&W on a fjord or a haffie or a nearly white horse like mine, you stand out in the ring w/out a wardrobe. Personally I want eyes on my horse rather than on me.

9 Likes

I’m no help, but love a good Fjord. What a pretty boy!

3 Likes

True! But…but…she can really mix and match with her horse these days! Why not take advantage of that? Black and white is just…boring! Wearing colors doesn’t affect your score so why not be a bit fashionable? It’s fun and is nice to look at!

If I show Sir SpooksAlot in recognized shows, I’m going for white breeches and a burgundy coat I have a black coat for our warm weather but it’s boring). He goes from black to mousy brown and I love burgundy. He’s short-backed and can pull off any color pad. If I show him, we’ll do something fun within limits. It makes the rider feel like “hey judge, look at us!” and it’s fun!

5 Likes

This isn’t going to be helpful at ALL but I love how your look is almost monochromatic in that first photo. The black (I suppose I’m specifically referring to the polos in this case) really makes your pony’s mane and tail POP.

I’m seeing some muted colours being recommended which I’d totally opt for, to let your gelding’s colour really be the feature, personally I think I’d stick to grey or black breeches and the jacket that @Jealoushe recommended - gorgeous but also not a distraction from his beautiful coat.

1 Like

I think tan breeches and a darker sage/olive jacket would look smashing, but tons of color options would look smashing with your guy!

I have chestnuts, and probably a good thing because I’ve managed to amass five show coats and who knows how many pads. There is no telling what would happen if I had say, a black or gray that could be complemented by a broader array of colors.

2 Likes

That’s part of the struggle, he really looks pretty good in most colors!

1 Like

I like the black on him too. For our schooling show, I’m going to just wear all black since that’s what I have on hand.

I might look into doing a show shirt that matches the saddle pad/s with a black jacket. And black or tan breeches. Lots more color options out there on shirts vs coats.

1 Like

And that’s why we’re here: To encourage and enable you to buy an entire wardrobe of new, colorful apparel so we can live vicariously through your fashion ensembles.

16 Likes

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

Don’t forget, we want pictures so we can ride fashionably vicariously through you.

7 Likes

Pictures will not be a problem!

3 Likes

Here is an article w/ some pictures from Florida shows. These are consistent with what I am seeing at WEC Ocala also. The color is creeping in, starting with mostly darker coats but also some bright ones and very nice grays. And OMG the BOOTS You see in these pictures some matching coats/boots; I have seen more “stand out” boots than I would have imagined. Fancy tops, all sorts of colors, etc. I think the color trend will continue for sure - but it will be slow, because its expensive. Short coats are coming in more colors, but I’d guess that many tailcoats are custom.

9 Likes

Anyone have an idea on their sizing?? There is no size chart and no US sizes :sob:

Thinking more…I may scrap using those particular pads since Im not finding anything I love jacket wise to go with.

This is a nice color and I have seen pads that match. Or I could go more traditional with a white pad or maybe a nice black pad with tan breeches.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/trdstp-solo-showtime-show-coat/p/X1-400292/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDElzCLTuvFZ1p6Kd6X5cRf7v-z6WeT-5fVGiKWS9izBMArneeGBSxBoC1ZQQAvD_BwE

Edit…of course they don’t have my size in stock

I like the sparkles on this one!!

Keep an eye out for an olive green jacket, I think that would look amazing on him! I have the RJ Harmony Mesh Show Coat in olive which unfortunately looks like it’s been discontinued (couldn’t even find one on ebay for you) but it’s such a popular color, someone else has to have one. I wear that with white pants, a white pad, and olive bonnet - it looks super sharp, just different enough from hunter green to catch your eye, and I think the neutral tone of it would look awesome on your boy! I think it could also look gorgeous with brown boots and helmet on a chestnut or bay…I agree with your boy’s beautiful black points, black is probably the best choice!

1 Like

There’s always the Horseware Jacket:
Ladies’ Competition Coat

It seems to be in Hunter, but it’s not an uber-bright hunter. Dover also has it in a nice navy color that would look good.