Unlimited access >

Help me pick an Ammy Friendly stallion for this mare

Looking to improve trot but keep sweet temperament and color.

4 Likes

No suggestions, but just wanted to say I love her! (From an amateur rider, not breeder perspective)

3 Likes

Thank you JB she is the most giving love of a horse. She was my sons horse and she took him from cross rails to 3’3” equitation finals. Always gives 100%. She has a suspensory injury, in my retirement I would love a baby from her. Does not have to be a derby prospect, I probably will never jump higher than 3’. Does not have to be big, but I like a pretty trot and some bling.

1 Like

What is her breeding? Are you hoping for a hunter? Fresh only or is frozen an option?

She is by Sempatico M out of a chestnut tb mare. Yes hunter type. Yes only fresh cooled. I am afraid to breed to a tobiano because it might produce too much white

Don’t know if you can access this link but this is her and her dam

4 Likes

Sounds like a retirement dream for all of us! :rofl: I owned a bay/white Appaloosa all through my childhood, gotta have some chrome!

That horse, that leg…I think I’m jealous of your son! They are a fantastic pair

3 Likes

She loves him and would do anything for him. Our horses are home so they are very much family.

12 Likes

Oh, the look on his face! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: That’s what it’s about, regardless of the ribbon color.

What a a lovely mare! And I love your description of her character!

I would be curious to see her legs without boots. It may be the angle of the photo but I am wondering if she is a bit over at the knee or tied in behind the knee. ???

Also, is she registered, do you want a registered foal, and are you particular about registries?

A homozygous tobiano can still have minimal white even if you get one by breeding two hetrozygous tobianos together, or you can get one without any white (tobiano) at all.

Your mare is lovely! Good luck finding the right stallion for her.

1 Like

She is registered RSPI , foal would be registered Westfalen NA.

2 Likes

She is younger in this picture

Stallions I am considering:
Westporte
Best Regards
Cabulous
Rubinaro
Viscount

What do you think ?

Has your mare been tested for FFS? I don’t believe results are available for Westporte, Best Regards or Cabulous so you’ll need to test your mare if you choose any of those stallions. It is easy to do if you haven’t, you just send a DNA sample somwhere like UC Davis (or another testing lab) and the results usually come back in a couple of weeks.

I don’t have personal experience with Westporte but I’ve heard nice things about Westporte for temperament from friends and read the same here.

I think Best Regards is a lovely stallion and a good choice for jump and canter but from the offspring I’ve seen, I’m not sure he’s going to be a reliable improver of the trot for the hunters.

What is your mare’s dam’s breeding? Cabulous is also out of a TB mare so you’ll want to have a look at that. I’ve seen some very nice videos of him though.

Rubinaro seems lovely. I think he would be a good pick for a mare I was really convinced was a super jumper. I’m not saying your mare isn’t a super jumper, it is impossible to tell from one photo, but just saying that I’d really evaluate that part of it critically and carefully when considering a non-jumping stallion and decide how much jump you need. For a 3’ hunter the answer is probably not a ton, but I’m just putting it out there to think about.

Viscount is definitely producing hunters and seems to be producing pretty amateur friendly types from what I’ve seen. I’m not sure he’ll give you a hack winning trot necessarily but his offspring are typically good mover, dual purpose types.

Have you looked at Conteros, Diktator vd Boslandhoeve, Figaro B or Con Capilot? Just a few additional ideas.

3 Likes

Gotham with Broad Hill Run Farm in TN.

2 Likes

Lord Cosmo bred by Tylord Farms and standing at Antares Trakehners. Puts in a cute trot with nice suspension, I’ve met a few of his get in Michigan and love their temperaments. He himself has an impeccable pedigree with some Trakehner greats in there: Sixtus, Habicht, Anduc, and Enrico Caruso.

I love the c line holsteiner, do you have any insight between Best Regards, con capilot and conterous. I don’t know if any improve movement? Conformation from posted pics looks like con capilot has best conformation

Since she’s hetero for Tobiano, the only way to guarantee keeping color is breed to a homozygous Tobiano

Yep, and some stallions are more likely to do that than others, though there’s never any guarantee!

Yes, and no. There’ss always some white. The most common “slipped Tobiano” (aka one without obvious spots) is to have a white spot around the withers, in addition to leg white, and that’s not very common at all. Very, very verrrrry rarely will you see one who only has leg white