Unlimited access >

Help me pick an Ammy Friendly stallion for this mare

What about crossing with a sabino?

Iā€™m not familiar with any of Best Regardsā€™ hunter type offspring. I think he has some, but they are younger. Iā€™ve seen some of his jumper offspring and they are nice but none stood out to me as super movers. Having not seen the hunter types I donā€™t feel qualified to make any judgments on him. I would maybe reach out to Spy Coast, who stood him last year, and Hickory Manor, who is standing him this year, to see if they can direct you to any of his offspring that you could base an opinion on. You could also go through the USEF database and see which offpsring he has are out showing or were out showing and see if you can find some videos.

Conteros and Con Capilot both have older jumper-type offspring in Europe and both have been successful as Hunter Breeding stallions with their younger American foal base. Iā€™ve seen more Con Capilots locally and through the YHS shows than I have those by Conteros, but Iā€™ve seen some very nice movers from both. Of the jumping age horses, in my opinion, the Con Capilot offspring tend to have a more hunter-type front end when they jump with more consistency. Iā€™ve seen Con Capilot in person and he is really lovely. Out of the two, I personally would probably lean towards Con Capilot, especially since it looks like your mare has some length to her (whereas I feel he is slightly short coupled). I have not seen a conformation photo of Conteros.

Are you planning on breeding this year? Another thing to consider is Conterosā€™s age. He is 28 this year and while Iā€™ve seen reports that his semen is very good and I believe I saw he is still available fresh, if you are looking for a stallion to use next year or in the future he may not be available fresh anymore.

Sabino and all the Overo genes are unpredictable in the amount of white the produce, unless combined with other Overo genetics. Youā€™d really want some White genetics involved, rather than Sabino. SB1/SB1 is a ā€œmax whiteā€, but hetero SB1 wonā€™t have a lot of white at all, unless itā€™s boosted in some way. Some White genetics are more likely to produce more white than others.

1 Like

This is a foal out of her half sister.
I think by Decaprio
So if I understand correctly I have a 50/50 chance of tobiano. And that will not increase if stallion has white socks or sabino ( or splash white?). Only way to increase chance of tobiano is to breed to a hetero tobiano (which I donā€™t think I know of any) or a homozygous.

She is a 14yo maiden mare, if I want to breed her I would have to try this yearšŸ˜”

This is not the best timing, but I was very impressed with Brandon Gibsons pinto hunter stallion. Boy, that horse can jump! If you want color he might work.

If you breed to a non-tobi then yes.

If you breed to a hetero Tobi, thereā€™s a 75% chance of tobi, between the hetero and homozygous options.

correct, entirely different genetics, BUT, depending on which genetics there are, you could get other types of white, beyond just normal stockings/face white

Right, and there are lots of hetero tobi stallions out there :slight_smile: Iā€™ve just lost touch with who they are, but there are so many now

Agree, SUCH a tragedy and I donā€™t know the breeding status of the stallion, but heā€™d be in the top 5 if I were breeding

1 Like

I agree but I noticed two tobiano foals result in more than 60%white

Not sure what you mean? Tobiano is entirely unpredictable in how much white is produced. There are a few horses who put on more, or less, than 50% or so, on a fairly regular basis (easier to see when itā€™s the stallion doing it, just more foals to see). Sempatico is one who trends fairly heavily to less than 50% white, for example (along with very often a unique face marking). But mostly itā€™s just luck of the draw as to how much white there is

1 Like

Thatā€™s the crapshoot of breeding for colour. Sometimes you get a lot, sometimes none. The two tobiano foals you saw with more white might very well have another untestable white pattern involved that added more white to the foal. There are currently over 30 white patterns that are testable, more to be found as time progresses. There is no guarantee that your mare or whoever you decide to breed to doesnā€™t pass one of them along with the tobiano if you go that route.

1 Like

Con Capilots are lovely!!

Thank you, I didnā€™t realize how much was involved. Is it worth having her color tested? I have to send in a sample for wffs

Not worth it IMHO. You know sheā€™s Tt. She has some White pattern thatā€™s putting white on her face but thereā€™s no guarantee itā€™s a testable pattern. I would expect if she had a white-boosting White pattern sheā€™d have a lot more body white

The only real test value IMHO would be color to see if she can/canā€™t produce black foals, if thatā€™s something youā€™d like. You know sheā€™s heterozygous for Extension, because sheā€™s bay but has a chestnut parent, so sheā€™s Ee.

If her Agouti status is AA, she can only produce bays and chestnuts. If sheā€™s Aa, she could produce a black, so if you wanted the best chance at black, youā€™d need a black stallion whoā€™s EE (and by default heā€™ll be aa)

If you donā€™t want a chestnut foal, then the stallion needs to be EE regardless of whether heā€™s black or bay, and you donā€™t need testing (of the mare) to know this

If you DO want a chestnut, the stallion needs to be chestnut, and even then itā€™s a 50/50 shot, and you donā€™t need testing for that either.

Edited to correct my brain-fart on not producing chestnut

1 Like

I had a thought on stallions that are likely to produce white even if she doesnā€™t pass her tobiano:

The Alla Cā€™Zar line is great for both Hunters, and bling. Not body white, but high splashy leg white and big face white, often with belly spots.

There are a few Balou-line stallions who also trend towards Hunters and are known to produce lots of the same kind of white.

Pallido Blu is a homozygous Tobiano hunter-producing stallion

Just one small correction. If you donā€™t want a chestnut foal, the stallion has to be EE. Since mare is Ee if she is bred to an Ee stallion, you would have a 25% chance of a red.

The challenge with a lot of the pinto stallions is that they are also going to have gotten their coloring from Samber and so you have to watch how closely he is in the pedigree. I donā€™t know how close is too close or how many crosses is too many for that particular stallion but it would be something to research.

The Balous often have lots of white but wouldnā€™t be my choice for amateur friendly. Some are but many arenā€™t, especially when they are young.

Allaā€™Czar is a favorite of mine but Iā€™m not sure he is even available frozen anymore. His son Baltaā€™Czar would be a great option but Iā€™m not sure if he is still available fresh or not. Something to look into though.

Balta Czar is available fresh and is Ammy friendly. He does not throw good movers. But they do have a nice jump.
https://jumpstartfarm.com/portfolio/baltaczar/

2 Likes

Yikes, youā€™re right! I donā€™t know why I put Ee, I know better! Thanks for catching that :slight_smile:

Thankfully there are quite a few non-Samber pintos now :slight_smile:

Good to know

Right, not him directly, but he has several sons and grandsons, Iā€™m just not sure who they all are, but shouldnā€™t be hard to fine.

The white scalara so common paints, what is the percentage of it being passed on with solid stallion?

Balta Czar sadly only available frozen