Unlimited access >

Help Me Shop For Breeches - Winter and Schooling

I haven’t been on a horse in 10 years so I’m not up to date on all the latest high tech fabrics but Beval used to make a winter breech that looked just like regular breeches, same fabric and appearance but lined with a thin layer of some type of fleece. As someone else already said, not warm enough for all day outside in freezing temps but very warm for the time it takes to groom/tackup/ride.

1 Like

Which SmartPak breeches did you try? I find the Pipers and the Hadleys to be totally different fits and fabrics–I hate one and quite like the other. Confusingly, their winter Pipers are actually cut exactly like the Hadleys and I love their winter fleece breeches even though the regular ones are awful on me.

I just got a pair of the Correct Connect winter breeches. They’re somewhere between a breech and a tight, not nice enough for a show but probably fine for a lesson. There is a phone pocket! The material doesn’t feel quite as substantial as the SP ones, but I haven’t actually gotten to ride in them in bad weather to compare.

For regular breeches, have you tried Romfhs? I think the Sarafina would check your boxes, but not sure about the fit on you, as I’m the opposite with a long waist.

2 Likes

This! I really like my free ride winter breeches. I don’t know that I’d ride outside in the wind in frigid temps but works great for 25-50 degrees indoors. Price is right and they are quite flattering out of the saddle.

1 Like

Agree that they are all almost, if not exactly, the same but the issue with the Espirit, and most others, is that they only offer full seats. When did that become a thing?? It’s been challenging to find the above in a knee patch style.

@Rel6 I may try the Free Rides. I don’t love the big logo on the thigh or the “knee patch” that extends almost into the crotch. They also have limited offerings in knee patch (despite appearing to cater to the H/J crowd vs Dressage/ Eventers - seriously what is with that?). Do you have the Lux or Pros or ideally both? I’m wondering what the difference between the two is as the site isn’t overly helpful. But the price is right to at least try them and so many people seem to love them.

I have tried the Irideon Windpros too and really did not like them compared to the Kerrits - the Kerrits fit better and were more comfortable.

@JenEM I tried the summer version of Pipers and they fit terrible but the quality was also pretty poor (scratchy fabric that pilled like crazy). I haven’t tried Romfs but I think our local tack store has them so could easily try some on!

1 Like

That’s how I feel about the regular Pipers, too. But I quite like the winter ones, they’re cut on a totally different pattern. They are thick, but they’re softshell and warm.

If you can live without a pocket that a phone fits into perfectly, look at the RJs. I hardly wear anything else, but they could do with a slightly bigger pocket that actually fits a phone.

1 Like

There is a great thread on this in the eventing forum, lots of reviews and photos.

3 Likes

I have the Lux and the winter breeches and have tried the Pros. The Lux are really comfortable and have that athletic material/workout tight feel. I’ve been a TS Trophy Hunter wearer exclusively for about 13 years, but only reached for the Lux all summer. Better fit and better summer material. The Pros are thicker and have a bit more structure - a more middle ground between a classic breech like a TS and a performance sport material breech like the Lux. I didn’t like the fit and returned them.

The winter breeches fit very similar to the Lux to me, just slightly less tight so you can layer underneath. They also only come in pull on where as the Lux has the zip up options. I was firmly against anything without a zip, but now find I prefer it.

I actually never noticed how high the knee patch goes, probably because it isn’t a contrasting color. I also never had a full seat pair of breeches but the color I wanted was sold out of knee patch style this summer so I tried a pair of the full seat Lux. I don’t notice much of a difference and the look doesn’t bother me. I have 5 pairs of the free rides now (3 Lux and 2 winter breeches) and I think they’re pretty evenly split on knee patch vs. full seat.

I second the Free Rides. I have five of the Empower breeches and leggings, and four of the Winter breeches. The winter ones are nice alone in the 30s, but require a belt because of the more generous sizing. I would imagine with a base layer, you could get away without a belt. I was a dedicated belt wearer before the Free Rides, but now I prefer not to wear one unless I have to. They are seriously comfortable and a good number of my barnmates (and my trainer) have become converts as well. Can’t beat the price (especially with frequent discounts and sales).

Do you feel a difference in the rise on the Empower vs winter breeches? I’ve been tempted to try the Empower, but worried they would be too high rise. I tried a pair of Free Rides at Land Rover that were so high waisted and I couldn’t remember if they were the Empower.

I’m running out the door to get to the barn, but the Empower are pretty high rise. A comparison to the Winter breech laying them on top of each other it looks to be very similar, though. Maybe 1/2” or 1” higher? I’m tall, but not particularly long waisted and the Empower hot just above my belly button.

Good to know - I’ll probably avoid those. Thanks!

1 Like

I haven’t actually bought them, but I get bombarded with ads for Botori and I’m dying to try them. Personally I prefer a suede knee patch to silicone, I think it wears and looks better. But far and away the most comfortable and cutest riding tights I’ve ever owned are the Ovation Aerowick (which do have the silicone knee patch).

For winter breeches, I think you should save your money and invest in silk leggings from an outdoors store like REI. Silk is awesome, unbelievably insulating, and you can wear them under any riding pants or even yoga pants to make them winter-proof. Wind and waterproof pants would be worth it, but for straight-up insulation, better to go with silk IMHO.

Check out the Horze winter breeches. The sizing is ALL over the map, if you can find them in store go that route because you will need to try on. For reference, I wear a 28 in typical breeches and I believe my winters are a 26.

But checks a lot of your boxes. The waistband is THICK. Perfect rise on my short torso. Sock bottoms. The pockets are a traditional pocket and fit a phone, but because it’s not a thigh pocket you can’t keep it in while you ride. I’m less picky with that - typically my jackets have pockets and if it’s cold enough I’m wearing winters I’m wearing something warm up top.

The finish on the breech isn’t like the Kerrits. It’s more of a “wind proof” material, so barn scruff doesn’t stick to them. They stay more professional looking imo.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the Horze Grand Prix Thermos but can only find full seats - do you have knee patch or full seat? They look very nice online! A local store stocks some of their stuff but it’s very hit or miss (may have a product but only in one size type deal).

The biggest reason I prefer the silicone is the closer feeling and the lack of bunching at the knee that a traditional knee patch gives. I love the look of the tan/ brown knee patch on color breeches (like TS has) but they feel so bulky compared to my silicones now.

I’ve tried the Ovation Aerowick tights and did not like them. I love leggings, like wear them every day love, but those weird such an odd, thin material (thinner than even my non riding leggings) and ran SO long (I think I shortened them a good 6in).

Full seats. I’m NOT a full seat fan at all but I like these a lot.

But unless you are good at making returns online you really should try on in person. I have two pairs that are tagged the same size but even they fit different from each other (different years of production).

I cannot help with your winter needs (I am in south Florida). But for an upgrade to your summer schoolers, all but the “fit a phone” criteria (perhaps depending on how big your phone is) apply to the Ariat Tri-Factor Knee Patch. Flattering style, smooth comfy fabric, sock bottom, silicone knees, wide waistband, and does not rise above your natural waist (I’m very short, so might actually sit just below the waist of an average-build human). They also have sort of a notch at the back of the waist which pulls in, if you do not need it, so that you can avoid the gapping situation that occurs with some pants. $160 and they do come in French Blue. They wear like iron. I wear a 28 in TS and the 28 in these is perfect on me, if that helps.

1 Like

I got a pair of Cavallo Winter High Performance Stretch (on their website it says full seat, but they’re in the knee patch category and the pic shows knee patches and what I got is knee patches). The colors are limited and they’re not going to be ride outside in freezing temps all day breeches. But they fit and look fab and are incredibly comfortable.

Don’t count them out on account of me! After I shower, I will try them on and compare fits as far as the rise.

I tried a pair of Empower and they were not terribly flattering on my slightly fluffy lower half. They also weren’t warm in any way.

I like the luxe for summer riding. Have not tried the pros.

I am a FreeRide superfan, I love the Lux and the Pro. Not a fan of the Empower, actually. The Lux are very thin, great for hot days. The Pro are nice and compressive, more of a classic breech look so I wear those for lessons/trials/video days.

I mostly ride in the full seat Lux and don’t find them too grippy for riding hunters, but some of the Pro colors have a suede knee patch.

2 Likes