Unlimited access >

Help Reading A Tattoo? JC has Been Sending Me in Circles

I’ll totally consider it! Once I work up the stamina to call them :rofl:

Here are right and left full body pics

(please disregard my horrible job at tying the halter lol, and yes her hooves are muddy, its raining :rofl:)

EDIT: Just noticed how dished that first pic made her face, so here is older pic for comparison (from the winter so shes scraggly)

You’re the best :grin::grin::grin: I love mysteries like this, so fun!!

Haha same! Keep indulging me, and I’ll keep supplying pics.

1 Like

I had a chestnut TB that had a dark patch on his hindquarters. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t noted on his papers with his other markings.

I’m enjoying reading the saga and I hope the mystery will get solved.

1 Like

Yeah I didnt think it would be recorded, but it could be useful on the off chance someone finds a similar horse and finds pics with the face covered

In looking through markings trying to find this girl, I have absolutely seen some dark marks recorded–but I also have a chestnut gelding with a few of them, too, and they’re not on his papers.

Btw, I LOVE HER. :heart: She reminds me a lot of one of mine, who ran and won on the turf. Nothing about her looks QH-y to me, and I’ve certainly seem some nice racing QHs that are pretty TB-y looking!

The pictures make me think QH is more of a possibility than I would have said initially. Or Argentine like my earlier guess; she has a criollo-cross look to me.

If she’s TB my guess would be Gone West or Forty Niner blood up close.

How long does it take for the Jockey Club send DNA results?

I don’t think the varnish marks are always recorded but I remember my OTTB’s markings on his face and legs were spot-on down to the spots/ermine marks in his otherwise white pasterns.

Yeah she doesn’t look as TB in this - still possible though, but much stockier looking. The head shape does make me think of photos I’ve seen of Spanish horse breeds, for some reason. May well be QH though. I don’t know whether polo horses elsewhere in the world would have lip tats. That all said she still also could be TB as she does still look like one a bit, to me. Just full body makes it a bit harder to really “guess” what she is.

EDIT: In the top two pics where her coat is nice and shiny (well, nicer and shinier looking) she looks more TB, in the bottom pic where she’s not as groomed looking (not judging just trying to distinguish between the pics, haha) she looks more TB, the bottom one she looks like she could be TB, could be QH, could be almost anything.

EDIT 2: Looking at the full-body pics again, she really looks more and more TB - hind end looks TB, neck/head makes me think TB, withers make me think TB. If she’s QH I’d bet racing bred appendix w/a lot of TB.

SIMKIE:
She’s great <3 She’s my brother’s polo pony and I occasionally jump her, and my brother is not too confident of a rider. She was the first horse we bought that we had him try (Hes not horse savy so usually I’d try them for him) He refused to ride her on our test day, and instead took her into a polo game. I’ve never seen him so happy after a game.

3 Likes

Another sire who gets her type is Golden Missile. It took me a moment to put my finger on it. And ~15 years ago was his heyday.

2 Likes

I have a dark bay/ brown OTTB who I did the tattoo lookup on for fun. He is pretty much black with a brown nose. I already knew for sure who he is as I bought him from his breeder, and his tattoo is crystal clear. He is supposed to have a dark spot somewhere on his body according to the description :smile:. I’ve never found it.

1 Like

Hey Simkie!! Here is the heels pic you begged for :joy:

She didnt like the phone by her feet lol

I love you. Thank you, I just really wanted to seeit, ykwim? :joy:

I feel like if I squint there might be like three white hairs on the inside heel of that left hind, am I crazy? (Entirely possible!)

This girl seems like such a sweetheart!

1 Like

You’re going crazy lol, that’s a piece of shaving

She’s beautiful! I hope the mystery gets solved.

1 Like

As others have said - nope I’m not seeing it, looks like mud or a piece of shavings to me, too! :rofl: Ah well, you can always hope!

1 Like

Quarter horses can be 7/8 Thoroughbred.

1 Like

Hey guys! No update on finding out her story yet (Emailed TRPB with the same story I gave you guys, we’ll see. If that turns up nothing the next step is a DNA test and then harassing AQHA)

BUT I rode her today (I only get to ride her twice a week max as she’s my brother’s polo pony) and we jumped 2 feet!

IK it sounds small to all you fancy jumpers :yum: but after having my confidence knocked AND being harassed by my ex-pony club leader after my 26 year old and I failed a course (Her harassment can be summed up with “You ride too polo, you’ll never do well, your horse is too old” ) I really struggled to jump at or above 2’, but since I’ve started riding and jumping Priky (Pronounced Pre-key if anyones wondering) I’ve been wanting to go higher and higher! I actually entered us in the 2’ class last year. We didnt fail as bad as I did years ago (At least i stayed in the saddle this time) but we didnt do as well as I hoped.

Im happy to say that next week we’ll be back for a rematch! And this time we’re going clear.

3 Likes