Unlimited access >

Help Reading A Tattoo? JC has Been Sending Me in Circles

2 feet woo-hoo! (I’m not a fancy jumper, myself! :laughing: I’ve been an “aspiring” eventer for a solid 10 years now due to life circumstances meaning I do not have the money to have horses in my life past grooming them at a therapeutic riding barn I volunteer at. I was just starting to jump lower jumps a few years ago after years of western and having to unlearn another 10 years’ worth of bad habits picked up riding at a sketchy barn, probably not even jumping two feet yet, when the lesson horse I was riding retired, the instructor started preparing to move out of state and that was it for lessons for the time being. Someday, though!)

Don’t listen to your ex-pony club leader and good luck finding out the horse’s identity!

1 Like

Alright guys we’ve got a pretty good hit! someone on OTTB Connect’s fb page found a 2003 chestnut mare with very similar markings. Who wants to go on a photo hunt!?
Wishtobegood out of Wish Of D’Orient by Seattle Morn

Copy of the comment:
Large horizontal star and connected tapering stripe, ending in a point slightly to left on bridge of nose; thin stripe beginning to left above nostrils, ending and touching left nostril on top; flesh colored patch below left nostril; small patch of whitehairs to right on upper lip. Median cowlick above eye level.
Horse Name Wishtobegood

Tattoo G38938

Year of Birth 2003

Dam Name Wish of d’Orient

Color Chestnut

Sex Mare

3 Likes

Her stripe doesn’t appear to end on the bridge of her nose in the photos you posted- it looks connected all the way to her lip. Is there a gap?

I’d expect her upper lip to be described as flesh-colored and mention the dark patch in it as well. I don’t see the patch of white hairs mentioned in the description.

1 Like

No race record. Awfully unlikely to find pics of that one :frowning:

This is also how the Jockey Club defines “horizontal star”:

Horizontal Star - usually narrow in shape and lies parallel to the imaginary line connecting the top of both eyes.

From

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=headmark

That doesn’t sound like what we’re seeing here…

1 Like

I agree its not a perfect match, but I’ve seen horses change markings a bit as they age. I sent that possible connection to TRPB as well to see if they might have pictures from when she was tattooed

The last owner of record for that mare is the breeder. You might see if you can reach her.

https://nuwber.com/person/563a2366cf00835c7f7384a9

Might be her: https://www.facebook.com/jdownen1

Unfortunately not too uncommon for the letters to fade with age. I have several that came off of the track legible and now only appear to have one or two letters. Don’t let that throw you off, if you think it is a TB chances are it is. People can and do make up the horse’s breed all the time but it is rare for them to lie about it being a TB. Usually it is the other way around - they say the TB is a QH, WBx, whatever…

I wouldn’t hunt down any info about that Bend’Or spot – they are rarely recorded by virtue of their variation every year. Some disappear entirely, some stay the duration of the horse’s life.

The pictures do look like a TB to me, albeit an aged one. The hind end is functionally very much Rahy, Forty Niner, and Mr P (although Mr P didn’t stamp). Their offspring are mostly aged at this point and they tend to get straighter and even more “QH-looky” behind as they get older.

I know you can’t diagnose certain things over a picture but the fat fetlocks and straightened out hind end would have me keep an eye on her – functionally horses get straighter as they get older, but the filling would have me concerned DSLD/ESPA is a possibility.

I saw the FB post and agree with the poster who thought it might be Wishtobegood. That pedigree fits what my “mental image” of what a horse by Grey Dawn on top of Slew would look like. Lyphard, although further back, tended towards QHy type horses once fully mature. He himself could have passed as a stock horse once no longer racing fit.

The good news is if that’s her identify and she’s a 2003 model, DNA will be able to confirm! I’d send the kit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll look into that so I know what to look for, so far she hasn’t had problems other than a stress induced flare of some old (assumed) EPM.