Help with barn name for new mare?

I recently bought a 5yo, 16hh, chestnut, ottb mare. Her jockey club name is “Always Remarkable” and she definitely lives up to it! She’s very sweet, level-headed, a bit of a tomboy, and a bit of a flirt. She came with the barn name Remi - but I’m not a huge fan.
She has a slightly curved stripe down her face and three socks ranging from 1/4 to 1/2.

I was considering maybe Scout - it matches her curious tomboy side, but I’m not sure if it suits the rest of her well enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Markie.

Hard to beat that suggestion, right on the mark.:wink:

That is the name that rolls off the tongue (Markie).

I also immediately thought Markie when I saw her TB name; it fits even better after reading about her temperament.

I was hoping for something a little softer or more feminine sounding – Markie sounds like a nickname for Mark or Marcus.

You did say a bit of a tomboy …

We had a paint gelding named Markie for his nice, even markings, but I didn’t realize that was a masculine name.

Does Allie sound right for Always?
Starlet?

Maybe the city or county or region you got her from is a good name for her, if feminine sounding enough?
That tends to be our default names when we don’t come up with one.

Yeah, I could have phrased it better, sorry. She just seems a bit too dignified to be a Markie. She has a delicate build - the tomboy aspect is more in not acting like a mare.
Allie is also on our maybe list. Got her from VA but she was born in WV.

Then . . . Marcie.

Maybe Cressie, if that shape resembles a crescent moon?

I actually really like Remi. Remmie would be a more feminine form.

Marquis (pronounced ‘Mar-key’) or I really like Alivia or Avery :slight_smile:

Knew a pony named Remarkable, barn name Abbie. They debated between Emma and Abbie for a while, if IRC

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8664719]I recently bought a 5yo, 16hh, chestnut, ottb mare. Her jockey club name is “Always Remarkable” and she definitely lives up to it! She’s very sweet, level-headed, a bit of a tomboy, and a bit of a flirt. She came with the barn name Remi - but I’m not a huge fan.
She has a slightly curved stripe down her face and three socks ranging from 1/4 to 1/2.

I was considering maybe Scout - it matches her curious tomboy side, but I’m not sure if it suits the rest of her well enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I vote for Scout.

It makes me think of a book by Gene Stratton-Porter called “The Keeper of the Bees” in which there is a character called The Little Scout. If you haven’t read the book, you might want to…

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8665752]Yeah, I could have phrased it better, sorry. She just seems a bit too dignified to be a Markie. She has a delicate build - the tomboy aspect is more in not acting like a mare.
Allie is also on our maybe list. Got her from VA but she was born in WV.[/QUOTE]

I agree that nothing quite seems right.

She sounds like a really nice mare, needs a special name, an always remarkable one.

Just keep thinking, folks.

Jasmine. I don’t know why…

Marquette?

Here are some links to peruse for names:
Ten celebs who are secret Tomboys
http://www.mensxp.com/entertainment/celeb-trends/22002-10-hot-celebs-who-are-secret-tomboys-p1.html

Tomboys in fiction (literature, movies, etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tomboys_in_fiction

I like Paris or Porscha. Classy, don’t mess with me names.

I vote Scout since that is one of the greatest literary characters ever created.

Basing on the JC name I would try “Artie”. (A. R.)

How about Marlo?

Like Marlo Thomas, That Girl!

Arya.

:slight_smile: