Unlimited access >

Help with barn name for new mare?

I recently bought a 5yo, 16hh, chestnut, ottb mare. Her jockey club name is “Always Remarkable” and she definitely lives up to it! She’s very sweet, level-headed, a bit of a tomboy, and a bit of a flirt. She came with the barn name Remi - but I’m not a huge fan.
She has a slightly curved stripe down her face and three socks ranging from 1/4 to 1/2.

I was considering maybe Scout - it matches her curious tomboy side, but I’m not sure if it suits the rest of her well enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Markie.

[QUOTE=BeaSting;8664807]
Markie.[/QUOTE]

Hard to beat that suggestion, right on the mark.:wink:

That is the name that rolls off the tongue (Markie).

I also immediately thought Markie when I saw her TB name; it fits even better after reading about her temperament.

[QUOTE=BeaSting;8664807]
Markie.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for something a little softer or more feminine sounding – Markie sounds like a nickname for Mark or Marcus.

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8665632]
I was hoping for something a little softer or more feminine sounding – Markie sounds like a nickname for Mark or Marcus.[/QUOTE]

You did say a bit of a tomboy …

We had a paint gelding named Markie for his nice, even markings, but I didn’t realize that was a masculine name.

Does Allie sound right for Always?
Starlet?

Maybe the city or county or region you got her from is a good name for her, if feminine sounding enough?
That tends to be our default names when we don’t come up with one.

Yeah, I could have phrased it better, sorry. She just seems a bit too dignified to be a Markie. She has a delicate build - the tomboy aspect is more in not acting like a mare.
Allie is also on our maybe list. Got her from VA but she was born in WV.

Then . . . Marcie.

Maybe Cressie, if that shape resembles a crescent moon?

I actually really like Remi. Remmie would be a more feminine form.

Marquis (pronounced ‘Mar-key’) or I really like Alivia or Avery :slight_smile:

Knew a pony named Remarkable, barn name Abbie. They debated between Emma and Abbie for a while, if IRC

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8664719]
I recently bought a 5yo, 16hh, chestnut, ottb mare. Her jockey club name is “Always Remarkable” and she definitely lives up to it! She’s very sweet, level-headed, a bit of a tomboy, and a bit of a flirt. She came with the barn name Remi - but I’m not a huge fan.
She has a slightly curved stripe down her face and three socks ranging from 1/4 to 1/2.

I was considering maybe Scout - it matches her curious tomboy side, but I’m not sure if it suits the rest of her well enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I vote for Scout.

It makes me think of a book by Gene Stratton-Porter called “The Keeper of the Bees” in which there is a character called The Little Scout. If you haven’t read the book, you might want to…

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8665752]
Yeah, I could have phrased it better, sorry. She just seems a bit too dignified to be a Markie. She has a delicate build - the tomboy aspect is more in not acting like a mare.
Allie is also on our maybe list. Got her from VA but she was born in WV.[/QUOTE]

I agree that nothing quite seems right.

She sounds like a really nice mare, needs a special name, an always remarkable one.

Just keep thinking, folks.

Jasmine. I don’t know why…

[QUOTE=Lydiakt;8665632]
I was hoping for something a little softer or more feminine sounding – Markie sounds like a nickname for Mark or Marcus.[/QUOTE]

Marquette?

Here are some links to peruse for names:
Ten celebs who are secret Tomboys
http://www.mensxp.com/entertainment/celeb-trends/22002-10-hot-celebs-who-are-secret-tomboys-p1.html

Tomboys in fiction (literature, movies, etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tomboys_in_fiction

I like Paris or Porscha. Classy, don’t mess with me names.

I vote Scout since that is one of the greatest literary characters ever created.

Basing on the JC name I would try “Artie”. (A. R.)

How about Marlo?

Like Marlo Thomas, That Girl!

Arya.

:slight_smile: