Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

When we took the stable tour after seeing a Spanish Riding School performance in Vienna, we noticed the stallions resting in their stalls. One was completely flat out, dead to the world, oblivious to the group passing right by his stall.

These were not large stalls, and he was sleeping diagonally to maximize the available space. To give an idea of the close quarters, my husband could’ve touched the stall fronts on each side while standing in the middle of the aisle.

6 Likes

The bolded bit totally cracked me up. Probably a nice, warm, soft napping spot! With the bonus of scenting and coloring the coat, what a beauty treatment. Equine spa.

7 Likes

I’m lucky that my pony was more forgiving. He was grumpy if he was told he had to get up and work, but he would get over it pretty quickly. He had the least work ethic of any horse I’ve known.

Meanwhile, my retired Hackney pony would be practically jumping up and down, saying “Take me! Take me! He doesn’t want to go, but I do!”

Rebecca

13 Likes

That is hilarious!

Rebecca

2 Likes

I bet you already figured out he was a very light gray that looked white. My daughter said he was a wannabe pinto because he always had manure stains. We didn’t show, so I never worked very hard on getting rid of the stains. He would eventually shed them out, and gain new ones.

My Paint mare, who was a gorgeous sorrel with a ton of chrome, was made of teflon. I don’t know how she stayed so clean, as she did lie down to sleep. Just not on the manure pile.

Rebecca

5 Likes

If he were a librarian he’d just put a hoof to his lips and say “SHHHH!” and then stick his yellow pencil back behind his ear and get back to his book lol.

3 Likes

We had an elderly gelding and one morning I had just bedded his stall with nice soft shavings and then ran some errands. Came home and here he is sacked out on the shavings fast asleep with the sun on him. Him being an elderly gentleman, I thought he had died. I go running out there and calling Whiskey Whiskey, are you okay? Are you alive? I was right there by his head, he opens one eye and gives me the dirtiest look like I had just interrupted his dream of him dancing the Samba with Carmen Miranda. I just said. “Oh gee, so sorry about that bud. Go back to sleep.” He did and I slunk out of there embarrassed.

19 Likes

Henry passed his first kiddo test today with flying colors! He officially turned four a week ago.

Love me some Henry! :heart::heart::heart:

75 Likes

Henry is such a good egg. :grin:

I gotta ransack some pastures for neglected horses, looking for the next Henry. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Bestest Jr Hunter EVER!!!

5 Likes

He is too cute! Love him.

Wow!! What a cool fella!

Oh I just luff him. My next one is going to be a small superhero, just like Henry.

2 Likes

Good grief! What a good boy!!!

1 Like

Other than the coat pattern, he hardly looks like the same horse. We need side-by-side, before and after comparison photos. What a transformation!

What’s also adorable is that he has such a pleasant expression on his face. He seems perfectly happy doing his job.

4 Likes

Happy to oblige! I love his transformation and I can’t wait until his topline improves!

Two months between top photo and bottom photo.

51 Likes

The difference in him is amazing. He looks wonderful.

3 Likes

I JUST reread this whole thread from top to bottom. Still can’t get over the amount of change in such a short time (and he’s only going to get better!)

I love his head shape for some reason. Are you giving him enough kisses on his soft little nose? Henry himself told me you’re not. Gotta meet that hony quota. :joy:

16 Likes

Love the direct comparison photos. You obviously have a great eye for potential. Well done!

2 Likes

Your little jock already has a nice crest release. So nice to see.

2 Likes