Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

When I first looked at the photo, I thought it was a fallen log and Henry was just lopin’ over it.

Then I realized it was a dog log.

I am in love with Henry. He is adorbs. :heart:

15 Likes

I think he’s going to become Henry the Handy Hunter!

You’ve done miracles in the short time he’s been with you! Great job!!!

9 Likes

It helps to start with the right material! He’s just a good boy!

2 Likes

It’s official. My two favorite, must view threads on this forum are Henry the Handyman and Peepy Cat.

8 Likes

What a gem you found! Go Henry.
It does look as though he is jumping the dog :rofl: although I know he is just cantering.

Susan

3 Likes

Love that dog. I have a GSP also :grin:

2 Likes

A little video from yesterday :slightly_smiling_face:

This was only Henry’s second time cantering under saddle and his first jump school, besides jogging over a tiny log in the field. Rock star!

31 Likes

He is perfect! And she is doing a LOVELY job with him!

6 Likes

Henry says, “Ooh, what’s this!? Looks fun, ok!”

4 Likes

Love Henry, but that dog is amazing!

4 Likes

I love how Henry is just cantering along, “La la la la la la la what a lovely day … Oh! You want me to jump that? Okey dokey, here we go --!”

Talking of waltzing pintos, does Henry waltz? —

2 Likes

Henry is a treasure – so willing! “I can do it!” :heart:

Says a lot about the confidence he is learning, confidence in the rider and himself. :grin:

When my lab perceived the intent to have a horse jump something, he would excitedly race ahead and jump it and then whip around to get just behind it, standing there facing the horse, waiting for the horse to jump it, too. He never clued in to that he was occupying the landing zone. All panting and excitedly thrilled about everything. I had to teach him the “MOVE!” command. :joy:

17 Likes

I can ABSOLUTELY see a lab doing that! My trainer’s lab once meandered across as I was cantering down to an oxer. Figured he’d be out of the way by the time I got there. Nope, decided to lie down between the rails just as I got there. Thankfully, he just hunkered down as the horse left the ground (and double clutched in mid-air while looking down at the dog like, “THAT does NOT belong there!!!”)

10 Likes

We had a barn cat who loved to sit on the fence rails when we had jump lessons. That made for some fun ‘peeking’ by our tolerant horses!

Our trainer’s dog often meandered into our paths while jumping…not my favorite thing, to be honest. My jumper liked to stomp dogs who got in his way, so this made for some interesting rides.

Henry continues to be an inspiration to us all-- the good ones are definitely out there, waiting to be picked out. And a lesson in bigger and prettier and fancier isn’t always the answer!

11 Likes

Go Henry.

Never walk around a dog lying down. Make them move out of your way.

That way you do not trip over them in the dark, or any other time or situation, as they learn to move before you get there.

6 Likes

What color was your Lab? Sandy-Footing Yellow? Bay-Point Black? 100% Sweet Dark Chocolate?

Double clutched as in gears? Or pearls? :wink:

3 Likes

I know it’s hard to tell from the perspective in the video but the puppy is actually on the quarter line and not in the line of fire.

All of my horses have to be dog broke, since this dog goes on trail rides with us and makes random appearances out of the bushes while we’re riding out. The ponies learn to deal.

4 Likes

Horse’s knees, my breath :rofl:. The horse I was on was green (at the time) and had a peek/stop (always). I didn’t know whether to kick a little harder off the ground or let the surprise factor take care of clearing the dog

2 Likes

Solid hard-to-see-at-night black. Actually “is” rather than “was”, as he’s still vigourously with us at age 13. But he no longer gallops over the jumps to show that he can do everything a horse can do.

Actually he would do that if he weren’t physically restrained. But he’s in denial about some age-related spinal stenosis, so humans have to intervene.

3 Likes