Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

Henry enters the ring and his fan club goes wild.
:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

18 Likes

Reviving the Colbert Olympic Dressage Foam Fingers! :point_up::point_up::point_up:

14 Likes

This pony!!! I can’t believe how lucky I got finding him. :heart:

And yes, I am THAT horse mom who takes tons of pictures and videos. #sorrynotsorry

Uploading: 6327DF68-29A7-48CE-8235-72661BB838D8.jpeg…

43 Likes

What a good little man! I love how forward he is.

He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. Have you come across any major vices apart from just being green? (I remember you saying he had a habit of stopping & refusing to move, but that you guys worked through it.)

3 Likes

what a treasure, he has such a happy attitude.

4 Likes

We had a related issue crop up a couple weeks ago where he decided he wasn’t going to circle left away from the gate. So we had a boot camp where the dressage whip in the outside hand convinced him it was too much trouble to keep up that argument. Two days of consistency on that lesson and it disappeared. Next week it might be circling right away from the gate :rofl:

Friends, food, and fans are in the barn and he always has a few brain cells focused there. I expect he’ll grow out of it.

Normal baby stuff.

25 Likes

Young horses do that. It’s like they view life as a smorgasbord.

5 Likes

What a diamond you have found! He goes around like an old pro.

6 Likes

He is absolutely frickin’ adorable.

3 Likes

After watching those videos, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that right about now you could probably get a wee bit more than you paid for him. :grin:

11 Likes

No doubt but Henry is looking more and more like this old lady’s future foxhunter and all around fun boy :heart_eyes:

29 Likes

Yay! Best plan for you both!

3 Likes

Huh. :thinking:

I was thinking he was looking like my future all around fun boy! :laughing:

13 Likes

@2bayboys if you could find me a 16h version of Henry, that would be great, thanks

3 Likes

LOL I’ve had two friends text me with that exact request. If only it were that easy all the time!

4 Likes

Me, too! I need a plus-size Henry!

This is what I look like on my 14.3hh hony. I bought her as a weanling with two much taller parents only to have her top out at this height. Thankfully she’s a registered Paint who’s basically a QH, so she caries me easily, but man, I look huge on her! (I’m 5’8".) Suitability of horse and rider was my downfall at every show (well, that and my stupid mistakes and trying to compete a halter-bred horse against warmbloods!) until I accepted that the Evil Princess wasn’t meant for show life. She was fine with that…

(This was taken the day I got on her in 2003 for the first time as a 3-y-o. )

She’s nearly 24 now and has filled out but gotten no taller, lol! :grin:

21 Likes

Pssst!
Tell friends Hony is the right size :ok_hand:

OldLady I am now, I eyeball my 13h Hackney Pony daily & regret he was never broke to ride.
He did have a brief Driving career, but that was over 15yrs ago.
At 23 (him) I’m not going to see how much of that he recalls :roll_eyes:
Farrier - who has driven ponies for decades - gave him to me after crashing twice & made me promise not to hitch him :unamused:
But his size is darned attractive after a couple 17+ horses. Even compared to my Solid 16h horse, he looks good… In my dreams…

8 Likes

Oh, yes! And Henry is JUST the right size!!

7 Likes

I think what looks “right” must be taylored to what you are used to seeing around you, as I would not have looked at @chestnutmarebeware twice on her lovely hony.

this is me (5’6") on our 14.3 gelding Sultan:

And on my 14.1 just-started youngster:

I sure never thought of myself as huge on them. :woman_shrugging:

I would gleefully take Henry home in a heartbeat!! :heart_eyes:

29 Likes

These are fantastic pictures! And I agree, you are in no way too big for your lovelies, nor is @chestnutmarebeware on her pony.

My primary ride right now is 16 hands, and I adore her, but every time I dismount I wish she were closer to the ground :wink:
I have considered breeding her and I only look at pony stallions, with the hope of producing a large pony or hony.

8 Likes