Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

I’m ready to make my reservation and put down a deposit right now.

11 Likes

I’m next!

4 Likes

I will lose the extra weight I am carrying to ride Henry!

6 Likes

Yes! That’s one of the first things I noticed in an earlier video. Is her position perfect frame by frame? No… (and who is?) BUT she is excellent at the most important thing you can do when asking a horse to jump… get him to it and stay the heck out of his way. Bravo!

10 Likes

Henry seems to like her, so that says it all.

5 Likes

Just a fun day yesterday with unexpectedly perfect weather and a little school up on the hill behind the farm.

47 Likes

That looks SO fun!!

5 Likes

WOW! That just brought so much joy to me this morning (our fields are buried under about 5 feet of snow right now so the green grass is especially appealing to me right now).

As an aside - you’ve got some awesome filming skills! Or is it that you have awesome stability skills…? Either way, wow! :clap:

7 Likes

Henry looks so relaxed cantering across a field. Darn he is adorable.

9 Likes

I was laughing as I watched the video last night. Henry’s ears are pricked the whole time and so relaxed while my red mare OTTB, as soon as we picked up the canter those ears went back and she was all about getting down to business :rofl:

21 Likes

After 20 years, my OTTBs still hate being passed at the canter or hand gallop by ANYONE! :laughing:

9 Likes

I was thinking “lord this would be a rodeo with my young one, I wish I could have fun like that” haha

2 Likes

Ugh. This kid’s hands are so much better than mine. Punk.

15 Likes

First thing I notice is Henry is straight in his track! No hip over here, hip over there.

4 Likes

And his canter’s like a metronome!

Henry needs to be cloned! :laughing:

6 Likes

I love it when everyone hits the jackpot!

3 Likes

And that canter is SO VERY SMOOOOOOTH. Like buttah. :yum:

I had a series of young horses before him who had various issues with the canter, and I remember thinking the first time I asked him to canter “please God can I just have one that can canter…?” and He delivered.

Especially since, according to his previous owner Henry’s dam was Tennessee Walker and his sire a QH, I have no idea where he got that nice big straight balanced metronomic canter. But I’ll take it.

21 Likes

Can Henry BE any more perfect!!!

8 Likes

My first horse (not pony) was a QH/TWH cross and he was an absolute saint and a great athlete. I was too young to even think twice about how he could do anything and still layer in a nice flat walk when it was a good time for it. Now I look back and am amazed what a wonderful freebie he was; a coworker of my mom’s gave him to her as a slightly trained 4 year old and I just… started riding him. Could have been a disaster but it was solid gold instead. Now I love Henry even more!

6 Likes

The best hunt horse I ever had the privilege to know was a grade TWH/QH cross. Best brain in the world–she’d go first flight on Thursday and pack your grandma out hilltopping on Saturday. She could jump anything from anywhere with two hounds popping up under her feet. I don’t think “no” was in that mare’s vocabulary. It looks like Henry has the same kind of attitude, even though they couldn’t look more different :slight_smile:

11 Likes