Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

We didn’t know what to expect. I told my little rider we were going to start adding some canter sets outside the ring to see how he might handle it, and he was just fine. We popped over a little log at the end of the ride with me leading, and Henry did get a little forward on the backside but no naughtiness at all. :heart:

Hunter paces start in April and he’ll be going out for sure! First with my very experienced old hunt pony as a partner and then hopefully with the red mare as he gets more miles.

16 Likes

@2bayboys, had you seen him a bunch of times in his field before you stopped? What compelled you to look at him up close when he was with his former owner?

1 Like

Henry! :heartpulse: He always looks so pleasant, like every day is the greatest day yet.

9 Likes

I found him on Craigslist! With a godawful photo. I asked for video and that sealed the deal. I drove four hours into the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania with some cash and brought him home.

I just had a gut feeling. The top photo is the day I met him and the bottom after I’d had him home a few months. :heart:

39 Likes

Promise Henry you’ll never show that Before pic to anyone outside his COTH Auntie’s :astonished:
It’s like showing your son’s Prom date his naked baby pic :anguished:

24 Likes

Nothing wrong with that! :rofl:

5 Likes

I wonder who his mummy and daddy were. They’d be so proud of the little fella.

4 Likes

Another fun school today! Learning how to navigate a little uphill jump.

47 Likes

I see what you saw in that top photo: slightly uphill, cute mover, nice natural balance, pleasant expression. Yup, I’d buy that and sing a happy tune all the way back home. :blush:

11 Likes

I still get Summer Pony feelz looking at the before/afters

10 Likes

I had serious doubts! He just looked SO SAD when I met him!

9 Likes

You know, I roll my eyes at the Black Stallion-itis, the horse loves me so it behaves/ protects/ performs for me schtick…

But there is something to the idea that loving care is an important ingredient in our relationships, in how they develop and blossom.

Just look at him…

18 Likes

Oh I’ve definitely had one that would take care of me. I’ve also had the opposite, where the horse didn’t care about the survival of either one of us.

I’d rather have a horse with try than talent all day long.

12 Likes

Y’all I apologize for all the recent posting but I just have to share one more from yesterday. The kiddo is really starting to ride so well and if you didn’t know Henry’s story you’d never know how green he is by watching this.

59 Likes

There are never too many Henry and the adorable rider videos.

25 Likes

at the 8 second mark where he bends, steps under himself and comes around to line up with the jump, that makes me smile and warms my heart. He is such a good boy! Ears forward and listening to his kind handed rider. :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

NEVER! apologize for a Cute Overload! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:thinking: I’m thinking we need to organize funding for kiddo & Henry to show.
Of course, only if that fits your plans @2bayboys :pray:
Sales of a I’M HENRY’S AUNTY tshirts come to mind :thinking:
Or, like Peepycat: a calendar :grinning:

13 Likes

I loved watching him switch gears to gallop up the little hill to the next fence. They both look like they’re having a lot of fun.

1 Like

My offer to Henry’s jockey to come ride my horses still stands.

PS - NEVER apologize for adorable Henry videos.

6 Likes

There is no such thing as too much Henry!

Rebecca

4 Likes