Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

I’ve been wondering about our friend Henry, too. Is he all better?

I was just thinking about Henry last night and wondering how he’s doing.
(Off to get some curb chains right now to do some jingling …)

Henry is still on break! He got a mesotherapy session from mid-back to SI and that will be repeated next week, and he’s on a 30 day course of Robaxin. He was quite sore to palpation. I’m also on a bit of break since I had an unfortunate dismount off the mounting block :woman_facepalming:t2: and did some significant damage to my knee. MRI says torn ACL and MCL and damage to the menisci, because I don’t do anything by halves apparently. So our “stall rest” is coinciding.

But no reason to think he won’t be back 100% after this detour.

44 Likes

Jingling for both of you to feel better soon!

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that you too are on stall rest.

Everybody gets a vacation!

4 Likes

I hope someone is schooling the hell out of that mounting block while you are down and out. OUCH!

37 Likes

Oh no! Jingles for you both

1 Like

Oh no! You really don’t have to be such an overachiever you know :wink: jingling for both you and Henry

5 Likes

Oh no, I hope both of you are feeling better soon!

1 Like

Only horse folk, who engage in a most dangerous of dangerous sports could injure ourselves in such innocuous ways! (Commiserating here: I was swinging off my mare years ago, just a simple dismount, when my ACL went “sproing!” and partially tore off my femur! That was fun to explain in the ER-- "um, no, I didn’t fall, didn’t get bucked off, I just, you know, got off!)

Here’s hoping you get surgery that is quick and your healing goes well. The PT is brutal but much better than shoulder injuries!

11 Likes

Next time, lunge the mounting block for a few minutes first. Don’t let its quiet stance fool you.

In the meantime, hope your layup and rehab goes well.

33 Likes

I know an eventer who tore her ACL hopping out of the horse van.

5 Likes

Ouch! I managed to tear my meniscus mounting, from the block, when I say tore, I mean the report said “catastrophic amputation” of part of the meniscus…of course the issue then was trying to dismount, when I was in some amount of pain.

Hope you are back to functioning soon.

4 Likes

These and other stories actually make me feel better, since it’s such a stupid way to become one-legged lame. It is a tall mounting block, and I jumped off because the horse was being squirrelly and needed to be repositioned, and I landed flat footed and something inside the knee felt like a rubber band breaking, and then I was on the ground. :woman_shrugging:t2:

So Henry will probably get a longer rest than is needed, but he’s only five so no harm done in the big scheme of things.

The kiddo is having fun playing with other ponies though.

50 Likes

Sounds like what I did in 2013, my horse was being an idiot and I jumped off, felt/heard something go in my knee and crumbled to the ground in pain. I had crappy insurance so never went to the doctor, just used wraps and braces and hobbled around on it. It took about 10-12 months to really feel better, now I notice sometimes but it generally feels okay.

4 Likes

Sending healing thoughts and jingles to both you and Henry

5 Likes

I broke my toe… as in pinkie toe sticking out sideways, because I caught it on the lip of a shower door. There are many, many dumb ways to get injured. Take time and heal up well.

6 Likes

I broke my ankle getting out of a car. Plenty of dumb ways to get hurt sans horse. A horse story would have been cooler.

Hope you heal quickly and as pain free as possible.

3 Likes

I broke my femur, and I mean BROKE (steel rod and screws in there now), getting a bucket of water to clean my bridle. Talk about dumb ways to get injured.

@2bayboys I hope you mend soon.

6 Likes

@2bayboys OUCH! for both you & Henry :disappointed_relieved:
& :clap::grin: for your Kiddo & the ponies she’s playing with. No better way to hone skills :ok_hand:

My Stoopid Ways to Get Hurt stories:

*Non-Horse - in the weight room, letting go of the angled weight I was using to do Pullups. Bounced right off the bar I’d hung it to bonk me square in the face. Epic Shiner & lots of ER side-eye, implying Abuse from SO…
Who didn’t help matters by telling friends who asked ,“She just wouldn’t shut up”

*Horsey accidents:
-Simple dismount from a tall one was enough to bruise my tarsus enough it felt broke.
X-rays said otherwise, more side-eye from ER techs :unamused:
-Horse stumbled coming over the teeniest X, I rolled over his shoulder, landing on mine with enough force to crack a clavicle.
2 weeks in a sling, of course, my dominant hand. Meaning writing was out, using a keyboard was a challenge & SO had to wash my hair in the shower. Okay, that last not so bad :smirk:
Still have the bump where it healed.
The Orthopod who examined me said surgery was an option “Only if you plan to wear a lot of strapless gowns”

7 Likes