Herniated Disc and Spinal Cord Bulge- input welcomed!

After spending the last 2 years in knee #1 and knee #2 with surgery and recovery on both I have now messed up my back. I was catapulted off a horse in one of those silly random accidents, landed mostly on my back. The pain and weakness got worse over a few weeks (bad horseperson, high tolerance to pain, doesn’t see dr right away) and now I have learned what I actually did. I am not to ride at the moment, until I’ve seen the neurosurgeon, but I can do other stable chores as I am able.

I currently have lost 50% of my left leg and 25% or my right leg function, as well as issues with some other function.

I know this is a pretty common issue- I’d love to get some insight and experiences with it. Thanks!

The disc issue is very common, the spinal cord bulge is not. I am surprised they didn’t get you in to see a neuro as soon as it was discovered. Jingles for a complete recovery.

The neuro appointment is being worked on right now, as is a second MRI specifically for the spinal column bulge. I was warned to be cautious, he wasn’t trying to scare me but said don’t do anything dumb or rash (ha! I ride, how dumb is that?!?) and I have instructions to go straight to ER if there is any change for the worse. I live in a rural area, so medical care takes arranging.

Thanks for the jingles, I appreciate it! So frustrating, after the knees, to now have this.

So, so sorry, Rome. Backs are miserable. By bulge, you mean it is impinging on your cord? What medications do they have you taking?

The cord itself actually has a bulge in it, as well as the herniated disc, so two things going on. Nerve function is impaired for sure. I’m only on meloxicam, Tylenol, and vicodin if needed.

You mean the cord bulges on the posterior side, the side that is closest towards your back?

Neurontin is a really great medication. It is specifically for nerve pain. I’d not have gotten through without it. The epidural injections work well for some, too. Do you use any ice or heat? Are you working?

Soft hugs to you.

I’m actually not sure where exactly the bulge is. I just got a response to my question about my upcoming trip- no flying, no long car trips. Neurosurgeon next week, another MRI, and nerve conduction test tomorrow- ick!

Pain isn’t too much of an issue, it’s controllable. The loss of movement and lack of coordination are more frustrating than the pain.

[QUOTE=romewhip;7403367]
The cord itself actually has a bulge in it, as well as the herniated disc, so two things going on. Nerve function is impaired for sure. I’m only on meloxicam, Tylenol, and vicodin if needed.[/QUOTE]
Seems odd that steroids aren’t part of the mix. I guess they don’t think there is much inflammation.

There doesn’t appear to be much actual inflammation- you’re right, i’d expected steroids, but happy not to have them.

So where I’m at for now- neurosurgeon felt MRI was inconclusive and a poor view of spinal cord bulge. So another MRI, and an injection for disk herniation. Next MRI tomorrow, I hope that this shows him what he needs to see. He keeps mentioning the C-word, and I just really don’t like that. Legs are still impaired, but it didn’t keep me from mucking stalls this weekend… and getting a good dose of horse therapy.

I had a similar problem in my neck for a while. After steroids, I had physical therapy and I also had cranio-sacral therapy monthly. Neck got all better and is fine now. I still get SC because other parts of me need it. Without it I would not be able to ride.

Sorry I didn’t get it!

once you have ruled out surgery, try PT with a Mackenzie method trained PTist. very effective for disc problems

c-word= cancer

tumors in the spine are often metastasized from cancer somewhere else, but I don’t have any that I know of. And recent and clean scans of all the girl parts, so that’s not a source. I don’t know what I think anymore, I’m just tired and frustrated and my left leg is deteriorating, so I’m grumpy and whiny. Can I have some cheese and crackers to go with this please?

Your left leg will come back once they fix the nerve impingement problem. It doesn’t feel that way, but it will. My left leg is almost 90% now. My left arm? Well, that is another story… It will come back, sooner or later. When are you having your injection?

Oh, Rome, I apologize, I didn’t mean to make you go there. That kind of C is not what would enter my mind with what you’ve told us. Disc injuries/problems are so, so common. Apologies and big hugs. And I agree with Gloria.

No worries- I still find it hard to believe that the docs even go there. I have two separate issues, the herniated disk will be an easy fix with a steroid epidural. Then the pain will be gone, and since I react very favorably to the steroids I’m just waiting on word for when I get to have the injection and I’ll be a happy camper. I’ll be able to drive more than a few minutes, and my trip that I had to cancel will be rescheduled.

The tumor in my spinal cord is a separate issue, in a different location, and it’s what’s causing the nerve impingement. It aggravates me more than the pain of the herniated disk, because it’s keeping me from walking normally and doing things the way I’m used to doing them. Plus I want to know what it is and what they can do for it. I’m already overweight with autoimmune issues, I don’t need anything else slowing me down or keeping me from getting my doses of horse therapy, lol.

Going through a herniation right now. I’ve also had surgery in the past.

It sucks, the nights are rough and the days are frustrating. Mine is healing slowly but no where near the seriousness of my first one.

Listen to your body, do minor yoga if you can. Physical Therapy can help. There are some good videos on Youtube of people with past herniations showing stretches that helped them.

The worst part for me of course is not getting to ride. :frowning:

Yours is worse than mine is currently, hope it gets better soon.

Your post #17 confuses me. Herniated discs cause bulges into the spinal canal much of the time. At what level is this happening…and it’s 2 separate problems? Tumor!!! Seems like it’s all one problem and your assumptions about treatment are not valid…discs are not easy to treat w/epidural steroids blocks…that’s just ONE option…the pain doesn’t always go away etc. Discs cause nerve impingement hence the pain/weakness/spasms etc.
I suggest a review of the many contributions on this forum about backs/discs etc by doing some research on this forum. A LOT of valuable information has been shared by those of us who’ve lived them. Perhaps it’ll help you get some perspective. Bad backs are the bane of horseback riders. There’s always a new thread on it here…always.

Best wishes for a decent recovery. It’s never cured or like new. Like many illnesses; we have a lot of things we can do to cope/deal/accomodate. You will learn too. good luck!

Wateryglen- I do have two separate and not related issues in my back. I finally received the diagnosis on the second issue on Friday- I have syringomyelia with a syrinx in my mid-thoracic spine. This is a cyst in my spinal cord. It’s responsible for some pain, partial paralysis, weakness, and several other things.

In contrast the herniated disk I have at L5-S1 is simple in comparison. I know from past experience that I react well to steroid injections, and it’s a much smaller problem with a lot more hope of a decent recovery. Normally the herniated disk would have more attention, but the severity of the other condition is taking precedence. Syringomyelia is life changing and at the moment I am not a surgical candidate, however I am now partially disabled, which is a little hard to swallow.