Unlimited access >

Hindgut Supplement Support

Are you feeding the recommended 2 pumps at once? My mare wouldn’t touch the 2oz serving, but if I split it up into 1 pump twice per day and mix reeeeally well with TC senior and beet pulp, and I haven’t had any palatability issues (knock on wood!)

We have a horse that is susceptible to stomach and hind gut issues.

After recovering from the latest months long treatment with scoping, Gastrogard, Miso; we have tried the Platinum, SmartPak, and others.

He is doing very well on the GI Ultra!

Madbarn Visceral (for ulcers +hindgut support) or Optimum Digestive Health (just hindgut support) are awesome!

I did Equishure + CBD pellets from Smartpak for a few months, and have slowly weaned off as the grass has started coming in. OTTB now getting a nice hay belly and big attitude change.

GutX looks interesting. So its active ingredients, per dose, are: 60mg beta glucan, 200mg Hyaluronic acid.

Can I make this at home?
I can purchase pure BG for $14/60 caps (250mg ea) and HA for $66/L (200mg / 30 ml)

What if I just… reversed engineered it?

Where do you get the bg?

Not all HA is created equal. You need high dalton HA for better results (with oral use, you want low weight for topical use like in creams), which means at least 500,000 daltons. Meaning, check the molecular weight of that $66/L stuff

iHerb has the BG.

Yes, correct about the HA. I usually buy 1L @ 150mg / 10 mL dose for $100 and it is 1 M daltons +.

The $66 one is 1-1.25 M daltons, but a feed rate of 100mg / 15mL.

Looking further, turns out BG is commonly sourced from brewer’s and baker’s yeasts.

2.4. β-glucans isolated from Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Yeast, both baker’s and spent brewer’s yeast, are characterised by high concentration of beta glucans, amounting on average to 7.7%, located in the cell wall. Cell wall (constituting 15-30% of dry mass of yeast cells), is a complex, multi-particle structure, consisting in 50-60% of β-glucans and in about 40% of mannoproteins. Natural β-glucans isolated from yeast are insoluble in water, and their insolubility is caused by chitin, a polisaccharid consisting of residues of N-acetyl-glucosamine, linked with (1→4)-β-glycosidic bonds (chitin amounts to about 1% of cell wall mass). Chitin complex–(1→3)-β-glucan (about 3-9% of cell wall mass), is located on the inside of cell wall (1→6)-β β-glucan branches, link particular components of cell wall with the use of mannoproteins and covalent bonds. Mannoproteins are located on the outside of yeast cell wall [43].

Sparse research on β-glucans isolated in the laboratory from cell walls of baker’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, shows varied biological activity depending on the used technology of their isolation. They can strengthen the immune system, show antioxidant properties, and delay the process of cell aging [23,44].

Due to a high content of β-glucans in spent brewer’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae , remaining after alcohol fermentation in the process of beer production, it seems that they can be an effective and inexpensive material for obtaining β-glucan preparations.

Fig. 8 presents the diagram showing the use of spent brewer’s yeast, which constitute troublesome waste for the brewing industry.

Figure 8.

The possibilities of using spent brewer’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Beta glucans might be obtained as a byproduct in the production of preparations enhancing flavour (yeast extracts), and the remains after fibre extraction constitute a good material for obtaining beta glucans.

So far no research has been conducted on pro-health β-glucans obtained from spent brewer’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae , which constitute a natural, often a troublesome byproduct of the brewing industry, waste product after alcohol fermentation in beer production. Sparse research on β-glucans obtained from this type of material is conducted on a laboratory scale and aims mostly to examine their technological properties, conditioning their usage as additional substances of thickening, gelling and/or water binding properties.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been giving one satchet of Abler’s sucralfate twice a day. (500lb pony). Down from Sucralfate tabs that I had to dissolve and syringe into his mouth 3x a day.

Last time I took him off of it, he coliced again and I’m trying to decide on a reasonable game plan going forward.

Since I was already having to go out to the barn every day to do the gastrogard, I went ahead and just syringed the GutX into his throat. Just tried one pump on a handful of grain today as a snack and he ate it no problemo!
So once we’re done with the misoprostol, I’m going to go back to trying the GutX as a topper on his feed.

2 Likes

How did the GutX go? Mine is arriving Saturday.

My horse lives on sucralfate. He is a big boy and gets 12 pills twice a day. Does anyone who gets the compounded powder get a 12 gm per scoop concentration??

1 Like

Get a small coffee grinder. I make thepowder from the tablets and put the servings in small individual containers. Alot easier than dissolving and syringing!

My horse is on sucralfate long term; I get the compounded powder from my vet, it’s flavored. I mix it with a little water and put it on his feed, he licks his feed bucket clean so he approves.

1 Like

What flavor? I have access to a local compounding pharmacy that will do anything!

Pickiness isn’t our issue, he eats the pills fine, I’m really looking for a cheaper way to do it though. I got it through Rood and Riddle for one of my other guys but he’s a bit smaller and only needed the 10gm/scp concentration and Rood and Riddle doesn’t make the 12gm/scp concentration.

Which pharmacy?

It’s just a local compounding pharmacy in Westerville Ohio

I get mine thru my vet, $126, it lasts about two months. I give it twice a day.

Flavor, not sure what it is? Really doesn’t smell like a fruit so not sure.

How did the GutX work for you? I just started it last night. I added one pump to the syringed meds I do, then another on top of his grain and he turned his nose up. Eventually finished it. But I don’t see two pumps as a topper for while.
Any improvement?