Unlimited access >

Hindgut Supplement Support

My horse has to also be on sulfracate permanently! His pyloric ulcers are finally clearing up now he’s on this long term (we’ve been battling these for over 5 years) and now he’s battling a polyp (we are waiting on hopefully getting a machine in to cauterize it off as it’s near his pyloric sphyincter) poor guy just cannot catch a break! He’s picky at eating and refuses most supplements but takes the sulfracate with no issues, so I will happily keep him on it if we can get through this latest issue!

My horse gets 12 pills of sulfracate 3x a day! I’m not sure if we can get the powder in Canada? I will have to check into it as that would be so much easier than grinding the pills and syringing the liquid in!

1 Like

Eclipse, I give sucralfate 2x/day. I have very small containers I buy at the grocery store and a mini coffee grinder. I grind the pills into powder and put in individual containers. I moisten her feed and stir in a serving. I get my sucralfate from Valley Vet. I have a script and it costs me $128/500 tabs and free shipping.

I think the scoop in mine is 5 gm. I just give him two slightly mounded scoops…

I will have to see if we can get it at valley vet and if it would world actually work out cheaper with exchange as I’m paying $170 Canadian for 500 pills from the vet! I’m currently grinding the pills too but dissolving them in water and syringing them in! It would definitely be easier if I could make a few weeks of baggies for the barn girls and they could just put the powder into his feed……I will definitely try this!

If you can get the pink sucralfate pills, they dissolve almost instantly in water (no grinding needed) and are totally tasteless. I mix them with a little water to make a paste and then stir into my feed baggies that I make up each weekend and my horse never even noticed them. The white pills are much harder to turn into a powder and don’t really dissolve in water, but my somewhat picky horse will still eat it if the power if it’s mixed in with his feed (and I try to use something like TC Complete which is a little sticky).

My guy is very picky too! Will sniff everything LOL BUT he loves his beer pulp… I’m assuming it would mix well in our nice sloppy beet pulp?

1 Like

I don’t know if they ship to Canada, but Rood & Riddle in Kentucky has great prices on compounded misoprostol and sucralfate. They have them available in powder, oil suspension, or tablets and the powders/suspensions can be flavored to increase palatability.

I did the Valley Vet tablets but grinding up 11 tabs 2-3 times a day was annoying and time consuming. The oil suspension from R&R actually ends up being slightly less expensive than Valley Vet per dose for my horse.

Valley Vet: $129.95 for 500ct bottle. 45 doses per bottle = $2.89 per dose.

R&R Suspension: $105.88 for 900mL. 41 doses per bottle = $2.59 per dose. Plus saves the hassle of messing around with a coffee grinder and making pastes, etc. Just draw up, dose, and go.

Oh definitely - my gelding didn’t even notice it in his feed. In contrast, it took me quite some time to convince him to eat his electrolytes and the Gut-X supplement. Equally, he thought Gastroguard was yummy, so he has weird tastes! :joy:

Yours sounds like mine! Sullivan slurps up his gastroguard with no issues (thankfully)

1 Like

I have fed Platinum Performance for many years. Few times I tried other products because I thought I would save money. Bad moves, each time developed respiratory and ulcers in one horse and inflammation in another. I also like the Smartpak products. If you do the math Platinum Performance GI is $1.62 per day. Smartpak Ultra GI is $1.68 per day. Not much difference. Plus with PP GI you can back way off grain. Plus PP covers the whole horse. I have been a biologist for years, you can put anything on a label but if the horses system doesn’t absorb it, it’s money down the toilet. The customer service is unbeatable and the more you look into this small batch facility the more you’ll be impressed. When horses are healthy they feel good and want to go! :wink:

who do you work for, new poster plugging one and only one product in their very first comment here?

I used to do research for University and federal government. I have been teaching for 24 yrs. There are many great products that work, but I don’t want to dump several different products in my horses bucket. When scoped my horses stomach looked like someone took a hatchet to it. He wasn’t cinchy, nothing, just lost weight and stopped eating. Gastrogard and Sucralfate for 1 month, also started on PP GI. We rescoped and his stomach was perfect. He looks and feels amazing again.
I have been on Chrono of horse but it has been years.

1 Like

Ok… I hope you understand my suspicion.

I sure do! :slight_smile: Always good to ask questions and proceed with caution.

1 Like

How have the pyloric-ulcer-prone horses fared on GutX or Relyne (or similar)? Have the incidences of flare-ups decreased?
Is there a difference between the HA products targeted at digestive system vs. high-quality HA gel targeted at joints?

Really good question!!!

To my knowledge, no, because the molecular weight has to be high enough to be bioavailable, and then at that point, it’s a systemic mechanism which gets it to joints, or improving stomach mucosal lining, etc. I don’t know if it’s been studied to the point where “if high is good, higher is better”, or if once you get to, say, 2.4million Dalton weight, that’s good enough. 2.4 is what’s in LubriSyn, and they claim to have the highest weight.

OTOH, HA used for skin has to be low molecular weight in order to be absorbed.

How long does it take for GutX to show results on average?

My mare is on esomeprazole (started a week ago) but no change, so I added GutX 2 days ago.

Not sure how soon to wait before I try sucralfate.

If you were in pain and your advocate had access to another drug that might relieve pain quicker, how long would you want your advocate to wait before letting the doctor know you were still without change and asking to try another drug? :wink:

^ not meant in a bitch way, just a different viewpoint. :slight_smile:

I’m asking how long till GutX takes effect. She’s been on it 2 days.

I could give her 10 supps and meds tomorrow but I’d never know which one was helping. Not all drugs and supps show instant results.

3 Likes