Hip replacement - it's over! Now in recovery mode.

Did your existing saddle work after you had your hip replaced? Or did you have to get a different one?

Thanks!

(I had my hip replaced Dec. 20. Update in post #17)

IMO…

I would consider the overall width of the saddle/horse of more concern.
A slightly narrower horse and saddle will help keep the new hip joint in a safer position in terms of its new motion.

I’d say to measure the width of the horse/saddle where your calf contacts the barrel and take 2 or so inches off that.

The most critical part is continuing with the strengthening exercises after you have it replaced.

REgards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

no

saddle worked better than pre hip. New left hip allows a wide saddle to be comfortable.

My saddle worked just fine. A year later, I got a quieter horse and a used different saddle to fit her. The old saddle fits hubby’s horse, and it still works for me. I rode a western saddle on a wide horse on a trail ride this summer and that was ok too.

Thanks! Saddle shopping isn’t something I want to do.

Medical Mike, I understand your instructions about measuring, but am not sure what to do with them?

I’ve been working with a very good PT for a couple of months, both to give me some relief pre-surgery and to get stronger.

NO

You probably had less range of motion in your hip pre-surgery. At least I did. Duh, that (and pain) is one of the reasons for having your non-functional hip replaced. I went back to riding 4 months post-surgery after much PT to regain my range of motion and to get back the strength. When I got back on, it felt better than ever.

If your saddle felt fine before, then it will be better than ever with your new part.

Hold on…

My opinion is based on the simple fact that a new hip, no matter how well placed DOES not have the same ROM as the original.

Athletic guidelines for full or mini THR is maximum abduction angle of 35 degrees (w/ original anatomical motion of 45 degrees)

So while stable, when you get to end ranges of machine parts with nothing static to keep them from coming apart, the safer approach is to keep inside suggested motion limits.

That of course disregards the conversation of post-surgical muscle patterns and their carry over to on horse function.

Regarding the width measurement.
I’m estimating from data I have that 2 inches narrower will bring your abduction angle into the recommended post surgical range.

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical REsearcher
www.equicision.com

That is total BS. A hip that is so arthritic that it needs to be replaced has very little range of motion. Sure, a prosthesis has less range of motion than a young healthy hip. But young healthy hips do not get replaced.

Second, according to my surgeon, with the current generation of techniques and prostheses, there is very little chance of dislocation. Falls which break the bone around the prosthesis are the real danger.

[QUOTE=medical mike;5942015]
My opinion is based on the simple fact that a new hip, no matter how well placed DOES not have the same ROM as the original.

Athletic guidelines for full or mini THR is maximum abduction angle of 35 degrees (w/ original anatomical motion of 45 degrees)

So while stable, when you get to end ranges of machine parts with nothing static to keep them from coming apart, the safer approach is to keep inside suggested motion limits.

That of course disregards the conversation of post-surgical muscle patterns and their carry over to on horse function.

Regarding the width measurement.
I’m estimating from data I have that 2 inches narrower will bring your abduction angle into the recommended post surgical range.

Regards,
Medical Mike
www.equicision.com[/QUOTE]

I have so little range of motion in my soon-to-be-replaced hip that I can’t effectively rotate my leg to pick up my stirrup. It’s pathetic.

I’d be thrilled if I regain the range of motion I had 10 years ago. I’m not so delusional to think I’ll regain all of it.

From what I’ve been told, my precautions will have more to do with extreme bridging, not bringing my knee across my mid-line.

Stryder- I am certain that you will be thrilled with how much better it will be. Also, if you are a relatively young fit person the precautions really only apply for a few months. My surgery was in 2007 and I don’t even think about it anymore.

[QUOTE=Eclectic Horseman;5942699]
Stryder- I am certain that you will be thrilled with how much better it will be. Also, if you are a relatively young fit person the precautions really only apply for a few months. My surgery was in 2007 and I don’t even think about it anymore.[/QUOTE]

thanks, EH. I’m 57 and used to have a certain level of functional fitness. But Saturday I did more walking on uneven ground than I usually do, and completely overdrew my “steps” account. My hip just kind of seized up. So I’m out of shape, but within a normal weight range. I am SO ready for this to be over. Just.over.

The best part is, I’ve talked to a lot of people with new hips. No one has said they wished they’d waited.

Not BS…

EH, Calm yourself.
I’ts my opinion based on my research and:

Cale A. Jacobs, PhD, Matt Lewis, MS, Lori A. Bolgla, PhD, Christian P. Christensen, MD, Arthur J. Nitz, PhD, and Timothy L. Uhl, PhD. Electromyographic Analysis of Hip Abductor Exercises Performed by a Sample of Total Hip Arthroplasty Patients. The Journal of Arthroplasty 24 (7) Month 2009: 1130-36. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2008.06.034

Vigdis S. Husby, MSc, Jan Helgerud, PhD, Siri Bjørgen, MSc, Otto S. Husby, PhD, MD, Pal Benum, PhD, MD, Jan Hoff, PhD. Early Maximal Strength Training Is an Efficient Treatment for Patients Operated With Total Hip Arthroplasty; Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009;90:1658-67.

Di Monaco M, Vallero F, Tappero R Cavanna A. Rehabilitation after total Hip Arthroplasy: A Systemic Riview of Controlled Trials on Physical Exercise Programs. Eur J Phys Rehabilitation and Medicine. 2009: 45 (3): 303-317.

Among others…

And for clarification, ABDuction is Bridging, ADD is bringing the knee across.
Absolutely fracture is a problem, so are osteophytes, aseptic loosening, and probably more so persistent weakness.

EH, it is just my opinion based on my work. NO need to be so hostile.

REgards,
Medical Mike
www.equicision.com

Medical Mike, in the studies you’ve reviewed, does one approach have fewer immediate restrictions than another?

I’ve been reading as much as I can, but I’m sure I don’t have access to the same info as you. (or the background to decipher it.) My surgeon is planning an anterior approach, and while the long-term results are similar to the others, I should have fewer precautions in the short term.

I understand I won’t have the same range of motion as when I was young, but I don’t think my typical activities would put me into the danger zone.

NO NO NO ````

NO ` NO `` NO```

I DID NOT NEED A NEW SADDLE …
I TRIED SOME SADDLES WHICH WERE TO OFFER ME MORE STABILITY

BUT FOUND THEM :eek:

TOO LIMITING WHEN GETTING OFF !!!:eek:

I FOUND IF I STAYED WITH THE SADDLE I ADORED BEFORE MY THR

I WAS HAPPY AND SECURE AFTER THR.

I’m with Zu Zu, you don’t need a new saddle and you’ll have more ROM with your new hip.
I’m 14 months post RTHR and feel fantastic. I ride a huge, very wide WB and haven’t had a problem. You’ll just have to give yourself time to heal. It may take up to a year, for you to feel the full benefit of a new hip.
It’s a long journey, but so worth it!:smiley:

Nope…agree with the others

I had gotten a new saddle approximately 6 months before having RTHR (before I’d decided to have the surgery)…a deep seated dressage saddle. Actually one of the things that sealed my decision to go ahead with the surgery was when my hip “locked up” on me and it took me over 30 minutes to be able to dismount (any way I tried resulted in excrutiating pain). I actually gave up riding for over 2 months prior to surgery.

Post surgery, I’m in love with my saddle even more than when I originally purchased it. Fits both me and my horse beautifully. My left hip will need replacing eventually, and believe, I won’t wait until it gets as bad as my right one did. If you’ve got a favorite saddle, it should go right on being your favorite.

I got my new hip one week ago today. Anterior approach by a surgeon who has done 400+ anterior approaches.

I went in at 6 a.m. last Tuesday, was in recovery room by 9:30 or so, up walking that afternoon. Not far, but walking on my “own” with a walker.

I came home last Thursday afternoon. Yesterday my DH drove me to see my mare. Another outing today for lab work. One outing per day is manageable, but I am ready to nap when I get home.

My surgeon recently finished some research. Anterior approach results are better in the short run - faster recovery, fewer complications, faster return to normal activities. But after six months, similarly situated patients have similar outcomes, regardless of approach.

I’ll see the surgeon again in late January, but am expecting him to tell me I can ride at about 8 weeks post surgery.

I didn’t wait as long as some people have, in that I had a small but noticeable limp. I used a cane on days I needed to walk further. With lots of ibuprofen, I’d say I was getting around fairly well. The final 10 were very uncomfortable as I couldn’t take any more ibuprofen, and acetaminophen didn’t seem to do anything for me. Still, it was painful to ride and the small muscles in my hip area were in nearly constant spasm. Then the small of my back tightened … and so on. Ugh.

I’m not going to say it doesn’t hurt, because the how many and when of my pain medication is still important to me. But I’d say most of the time I’m at about 3 on the 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being worst pain imaginable.

I officially start PT on Jan. 3, and have been diligent about doing my little exercises so far. I think I’m going to like this new hip a lot!

Stryder - PM me your surgeon, please. Am moving to the Seattle area and my OTHER hip is going downhill. Coming back to Houston for surgery isn’t too appealing…

I had the anterior approach and was riding at 4 months. I didn’t have PT, but swam 3xweek at the warm water pool at the gym, used the xbike and the treadmill.

Congradulations and welcome to the club.

thanks, Bank of Dad. It was a little distressing this morning to see today’s top headline, “Failing Hip Implants a Health-care Boondoggle” until I read that the failures are metal-on-metal. (mine isn’t)

It isn’t that I’m progressing every day … I’m seeing small progress from morning till night. So optimistic about this!