Hip replacement - it's over! Now in recovery mode.

Wishing You a Speedy Recovery

but make sure you take your time and do therapy. You want this hip to last a lifetime!

At the end of the first month, you will feel really good. By 3 months, you will almost be your old self.

Mine is not all metal either. Interesting, because when I saw the doc about a year or a little more earlier(08), he was talking all metal. So that’s what I thought I was getting, and was surprised when I saw my chart and it wasn’t. Clearly things changed in a year( Dec 09) and I’m glad he was up on it. My chiropractor had it done with same doc in July 08 and his is all metal. I think he’s ok so far.

Yippe

Stryder, this week is the beginning of your new life! I had my hip done same time last year. I rode at 16 weeks simply because of winter in NJ and not really being ready. THe first time mounting It took me about 12 minutes to get on my horse who stood and waited like a dream. He did pick up some bratty habits prior to my hip surgery simply because he knew I didnt have leg strength to correct him as he ate his way through the trails… DOn’t rush, take your time, get massage. Massage was KEY for me and my healing. I rode/ride in my English saddle simply because my Western Saddle is bulky and heavy. Your first posting trot is going to be work!

Thanks, Casper. I’m expecting it all to be work.:lol: not just the sitting trot. But massage! I need to add that to my rehab list. I’m thrilled that muscles are starting to relax that have been in spasm for months. ah.

Hip surgery recovery

I was told that riding even a wide horse would not be any problem. Crossing the knee inwards could potentially result in dislocation but not spreading it out. I ride really wide Lipizzans in wide twist saddles with no problem. I did get a resurfacing instead of a THR, but the first orthopedist I saw, who only did THRs, said the same thing. I expect ROM measurements will differ by patient, device brand and size, THR or resurf. In any case, it will be better than pre-surgery.

I hope wide isn’t going to be too much of a problem. I saw my mare worked today … she’s getting to be a wide load. She’ll never be extra double wide, but still. :eek:

Touchstone, my precaution is bridging. Nothing about crossing at the knees.

Happy to hear your resurfacing went well.

another update @ one month!

The month has flown by. I’m using a cane and walking further every day. I can make a couple of steps without it, but the gait isn’t normal and I’m trying hard not to make bad habits. Still, probably a couple more days and I won’t need the cane inside.

My PT is going really well and instead of just the standard protocol, I’m focused on stretching and strengthening muscles that I’ll use when I get to ride.

I realized today that for the first time in a long time, nothing hurts. I recalled how miserable I was the week before surgery, when I couldn’t take any ibuprofen, and “got by” miserably on 6-8 extra strength Tylenol per day. Then, my right hip and lower back were in constant spasm and pain. I limped nearly all the time.

Now I take 2-4 extra strength Tylenol and find it sufficient.

My only restriction is extreme bridging. I’ve been driving for a week.

Oh, I am so, so happy about this. I wanted to offer some words of encouragement to any of you still on the fence about this surgery.

[QUOTE=stryder;6087237]
The month has flown by. I’m using a cane and walking further every day. I can make a couple of steps without it, but the gait isn’t normal and I’m trying hard not to make bad habits. .[/QUOTE]

Good for you! One of my PT’s favorite sayings is ‘The more you practice limping the better you’re going to get at it!’.

[QUOTE=tollertwins;6087386]
Good for you! One of my PT’s favorite sayings is ‘The more you practice limping the better you’re going to get at it!’.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

GREAT news. Mr P was very happy he had his done also. He was not in as much pain beforehand as you were but the last few weeks were miserable. One thing we were told was if a person was going to need THR to get it done sooner rather than later, not only to spare unnecessary misery but to avoid teaching the muscles to adapt to the bad hip

[QUOTE=carolprudm;6087700]
One thing we were told was if a person was going to need THR to get it done sooner rather than later, not only to spare unnecessary misery but to avoid teaching the muscles to adapt to the bad hip[/QUOTE]

This is so true! The last few months I did ride, I felt unstable. No kidding! I’ve learned now that some muscles weren’t working because they were in constant spasm, and some weren’t firing. My other hip was doing all the work.

What’s interesting to me now is thinking about my new, “normal” and practiced gait, and realizing it hasn’t felt like this for a long, long time.

STRYDER ENJOY YOUR NEW HIP -- IT'S A NEW WORLD AGAIN

stryder ```ENJOY YOUR NEW HIP — IT IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD AGAIN [/B] [B][/B] [B]AND RIDING WILL BE SOOO MUCH BETTER

JINGLES & AO ````

Stryder - that is great news! I don’t know you but I am always interested in anything having to do with hips, as I broke mine in June of 2009. Your words are very encouraging. Are you still doing PT?

[QUOTE=CruisingforGold;6120906]
Stryder - that is great news! I don’t know you but I am always interested in anything having to do with hips, as I broke mine in June of 2009. Your words are very encouraging. Are you still doing PT?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Saw the surgeon today for my check-up. He said my x-rays show the hip is perfectly placed. He’d like me to wait another 6 weeks to ride. He said I could ride now, but too much risk if I fell. I’m thinking I’ll wait another 4 weeks, then spend 2 weeks on the lounge line with a schoolie, and have our trainer work my mare in hand with me on her.

I am doing so well. Still using a cane because I’m determined to have a perfect gait. There’s just one small part of transferring weight from my “new” hip that’s not yet smooth. But I’m walking further each day, my stride is longer than it’s been for a couple years and I’m generally very comfortable. Muscles are awakening that haven’t worked for quite a while. My knees don’t hurt. Back doesn’t hurt. I can do sit-ups for the first time in at least a couple of years.

I’ve had 11 PT sessions, and I do the exercises every day. Surgeon approved 12 more PT sessions, and we’re steadily working on things I’ll need to ride.

I am so looking forward to riding, but can be patient a while longer.

Cruisin, are you headed for a replacement?

Great news Stryder, you’ll be back riding in no time.
So happy to hear you’re on the mend.:smiley:

Hi there, I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon who had a hip replacement- at age 45, now age 49. I had a bad hip all my life (born dislocated, missed) but finally could not hardly walk from one exam room to the next to see patients (and perhaps more importantly, could not ride for more than 10 min). Had it done 4 years ago- long recovery, mostly due to my underlying anatomical deformities. Really riding now, 4th level Dressage. I did need a new saddle after the surgery. Mostly because the custom saddle that I had pre-op needed adjusting post-op and the saddle maker would never return my calls/emails/letters (George at Equation Saddlery) I got a new custom saddle from Carey at Custom Saddlery that works well for me and the horse.

Isn’t it odd that we’ll put up with quite a lot of pain, and just keep putting up with it, until it really interferes with our riding? :lol: Then we’re ready to do something about it.

This is encouraging. I’m so looking forward to really riding.

It sounds like you have a really sensible plan going forward, make haste slowly and get back in that saddle.

I am bumping this up as I would like to hear how you are doing, Stryder. Are you riding yet?

I am having both of my hips replaced 3/27. It is encouraging to read so many riding success stories - makes me the more anxious to get this taken care of!

[QUOTE=booboo;6205652]
I am bumping this up as I would like to hear how you are doing, Stryder. Are you riding yet?

I am having both of my hips replaced 3/27. It is encouraging to read so many riding success stories - makes me the more anxious to get this taken care of![/QUOTE]

Yep, I’m riding! My first lesson was Wednesday. Stretching and seat exercises on a steady-eddy school horse at the walk. I lasted about 20 minutes, not because anything really hurt, but it was just so strange that my mind was exhausted. I didn’t have the fine motor control so what should have been tiny movements got big, my proprioperception was off (more about that later) and things were stretching instead of hurting. The most challenging thing was leaning forward onto his neck (good boy!) so I could swing my right leg over to dismount, and then jump onto the ground. (My first jump)

Saturday I had another lesson and did a fair amount of trotting, also on the lounge line. Slower, sitting trot. But I lasted nearly 45 minutes and did not hurt at all after I dismounted.

A couple more schoolie lessons and then I’m getting onto my mare. I can’t wait!

For years I’ve had trouble with my mare falling in when we tracked right, particularly at the canter. I really, truly thought I was straight. But my trainer never had any trouble and I dismissed it because after all, he’s the trainer.

It was me all along. I had collapsed over my right hip and to compensate, my spine twisted. Wednesday’s mind-blowing experience was me feeling I was facing to the left - markedly so - even though the horse was perfectly straight, and I was straight on him.

Yesterday’s PT focus was re-orienting my spinal twist, a couple of modest exercises to help relax and straighten my spine.

Today is nearly 3 months post-surgery. Only a small gimp when I first start moving. It disappears after I stetch a bit. My stamina is increasing, I’m pretty good on modestly uneven ground, I can carry heavier things every week.

I’ve kept up with PT. Find a good one who understands what you want to do and is committed to returning you to functional fitness - at your level. My PT is 56, about my age, and he readily says his approach now is totally different from his approach when first starting out. The guy is a master mechanic, and I’ve tried to do exactly what he says. My goal is a perfect walk, and I’m nearly there.

Booboo, you’re probably having some trepidation. I think we all did, but one week from now will be the beginning of an entire new life for you. Let us hear how you do!