Hip replacement - it's over! Now in recovery mode.

thank you for the fantastic update Stryder! I am so glad to hear you are doing so well. I also find it interesting about your horse falling in to the right - makes a lot of sense when you think about it, I guess.

You may be surprised by this, but my surgeon does not do PT! They believe that walking is the only PT I should need, and that I will be expected to walk a little bit every hour, with no restrictions on how far, as long as I remember I have to get back! They will give me a few exercises to do but other than that, just walk. I also will have no restrictions on activities except no carrying anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. They feel I should do what I feel comfortable doing, whatever that is. I guess I will just have to wait and see how I feel.

I think after reading as much as I have and hearing from you, I will request some PT sessions if I don’t feel I can get on and ride without it. My mare is pregnant so I won’t be able to get on her for a few months anyhow, but I would like to use that time to regain the fitness I have lost in the last couple of months.

Thanks again for the happy update. It is very reassuring!

[QUOTE=booboo;6208151]

You may be surprised by this, but my surgeon does not do PT! They believe that walking is the only PT I should need, and that I will be expected to walk a little bit every hour, with no restrictions on how far, as long as I remember I have to get back! They will give me a few exercises to do but other than that, just walk. [/QUOTE]

I am very surprised by this, booboo. I think how much PT is an individual choice, but I don’t see how I could have ever figured this out on my own. Some of my muscles had stopped firing and needed a bit of help to get restarted. I didn’t start sessions until two weeks after surgery, but started walking just a couple hours after waking up day of surgery.

Good luck!