Hip Replacement

So…I just left my orthopedic doctor and was told that I am a candidate for hip replacement. Not what I was expecting to hear but such is life. I would like to hear about your experience with HP and of course, how long did it take to get back in the saddle. Since you all are probably much like me I would appreciate info from your view. Thanks in advance!

I had my hip resurfaced in 2008… I can ride for hours again. First Dr said Total hip replacement. Second opinion said Birmingham resurface.

Google resurfacing and hip replacement. Do your own research. Remember, if the only tool your Dr has is a hammer, all solutions look like nails.

Most Orthopedic surgeons out there that do Total Hip Replacements (THR’s) actually do not even do Hip Resurfacing, so they can not give you a true unbiased opinion. But ALL Hip Resurfacing surgeons also perform Total Hip Replacements.

Start here: http://www.hipresurfacingsite.com/

They told me no horses for 12 weeks 'cause that is how long it takes the bone to grow into the prosthesis and you don’t wanna be really jarring it hard before hand.

HOWEVER - it may depend on what ‘approach’ the doc uses…e.g. anterior vs posterior vs PATH vs…

My buddy who was not actually crippled before surgery (unlike me - long story) had an anterior by the same doc who did mine. He was walking w/ no cane and not a whole lotta limp at 3 weeks…

[QUOTE=tollertwins;8336393]
They told me no horses for 12 weeks 'cause that is how long it takes the bone to grow into the prosthesis and you don’t wanna be really jarring it hard before hand.

HOWEVER - it may depend on what ‘approach’ the doc uses…e.g. anterior vs posterior vs PATH vs…

My buddy who was not actually crippled before surgery (unlike me - long story) had an anterior by the same doc who did mine. He was walking w/ no cane and not a whole lotta limp at 3 weeks…[/QUOTE]

That’s about where I was too. Recovery was just zooming along until I took a trip and rented a car that was just too low. Irritated my bursa getting in and out. Set me back about 4 weeks. Super bummed about that.

Thank you all for the info. After much research and I going to have the anterior approach done. I am going to schedule it for January so it won’t interfere with the holidays and there is less to do around the farm. Thanks again!

Please don’t commit to a THR without researching resurfacing as hosspuller referenced. I’m a bilateral resurface and my local ortho doc, while very good, hadn’t even heard of it! I did a ton of research, did not like the statistics on THR – only lasts 15 years (really? because I want to do this AGAIN?), high % of dislocations, trouble straddling, no high impact ever, etc. All of which were going to significantly interfere with my life on horses, running, hiking, etc.

Resurfacing has given me my life back … no pain, running competitively, riding large horses including multi-day back country trips and jumping 3’, full range of motion, absolutely no restrictions, ever, and permanent. I did have to travel 4500 miles to the best surgeon in the county IMHO, Dr. Thomas Gross, but do your own research. The website hosspuller quoted has awesome info on all the docs and a ton of success stories of people like us.

If you have any specific questions I can answer, please let me know. I’m 2 years out on the first one and 11 months out on the second one and rode a squirrelly 17hh OTTB today in gusty winds :slight_smile:

Did I mention NO PAIN?

[QUOTE=mbd;8341859]
did not like the statistics on THR – only lasts 15 years (really? because I want to do this AGAIN?), high % of dislocations, trouble straddling, no high impact ever, etc. [/QUOTE]

A LOT of these are no longer true w/ the new approaches and newer implants.

ROM is close to normal (not for me - because my ROM was WAAYYY over normal - which is why I have the hip issues…).
The newer implants are now thot of as ‘lifetime’. Doc said that they are still quoting 15 yrs. because the new poly hasn’t been around for more than that.
Also - resurfacing IS metal on metal - which some of us are totally not candidates for.

And as far as that goes - Pam Goodrich is a pretty high level dressage trainer - and has had both her hips for 25+ years - and they are REALLY old tech…

Just rode my horse 250 miles in 11 days on a total hip replacement and two total knee replacements and a rebuilt shoulder. I had my hip done March 19 and was back in the saddle May 9th (2014). Everyone’s different --one of the staff whippers in was back to whipping in 2 weeks after her replacement. Another whip had the resurfacing done and that was not successful. She’s had one hip replaced and will have the other done soon. I had great results with total hip replacement.

Foxglove

Hip Replacement…on my second one

I had my right hip replaced seven years ago…posterior/lateral approach. I was walking without a cane at three weeks. Back on my horse on lunge line at ten weeks, full riding at twelve. My recovery was uneventful but unusual in that I was always way ahead of where most people would be with their physical therapy. My trainer said she saw a huge difference for the better with my riding after THR. :winkgrin:

I am now four weeks post-op of my left hip and this one has been totally different from my right one. I’m still walking with a cane and the muscles in my hip/thigh feel incredibly tight. It was also done by the posterior/lateral approach (two different doctor’s told the anterior approach was not appropriate for me). I have had a lot more pain with the left THR than the right one. My physical therapist says I’m ahead of the game and making excellent progress, but this time has so far not gone as smoothly as my first THR.

Again, I’ve been told twelve weeks before returning to riding. The reasons I was given was that it takes a minimum of twelve weeks for the bone to fill in and set in the prosthesis and that long for the muscles that were cut, to heal and strengthen enough to help hold things in place, thus a far lower chance of dislocation.

Good luck. I understand recovery is faster with the anterior approach. I hope yours goes well and is uneventful.

mtngirl, you don’t say how old you are but you are 7 years older now and age does the body no good when it comes to healing…

But, if your PT says you are making good progress, then keep it up! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how old some of these statistics, etc. are, but this isn’t the information I saw before either of my THR, and certainly not my experience since. With the anterior approach the only risk of dislocation is due to extreme bridging.

Well—I had yet another approach called Superpath in February of this year. It is a modified posterior approach where the none of the hip muscles are cut to accomplish the replacement. There is a much less chance of dislocation with this method and hence a faster return to activities.

I was back to work in 3 1/2 weeks (surgeon actually said I could go back at 2 weeks but my boss couldn’t believe it and gave me another week:lol:). I was on my horse in 4 1/2 weeks! Ok, it was a “pony” ride at the walk but I was on my horse.
Able to mount and dismount unaided (w/the exception of the mounting block). Riding actually felt really good and stretched some tight muscles. As far as riding, things only improved from there and I haven’t looked back. It is so amazing to not be in pain.
The head of my femur was flat on one side due to avascular necrosis which was my main problem. My surgeon said the replacement should be good for at least 20 years. I have a dual mobility cup for the acetabular component which is supposed to be better than the old style cups? I will let you know.

Susan

I had an anterier approach hip replacement last Sept. and was out within two weeks. I was going for long walks again, pain free, by the third week. It was the best decision I made and I put it off for months because I was nervous about it. Unfortunately, my left hip is on it’s way out and will probably have to have it done within the next year or so. After my surgery they got me up the same day and made me walk a step or two and once I was in rehab they had me exercising and walking within hours. I don’t have a horse right now to ride so that wasn’t an issue but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too long before you can. Good luck!

Age does make a difference…

WheresMyWhite: Yes, age does make a difference. I was 51 when I had my right hip replaced, 58 with my left. I wish that I could have had the anterior approach but the doctors were adamant that I wasn’t a good candidate for that (and yes, I saw two different doctors at different practices that weren’t related). In fact, with my first replacement I had a difficult time finding a doctor who would do the replacement. I saw five different orthopedics. Four told me I was too young…they wouldn’t even consider it for me until I was closer to 60. :no:

The fifth agreed, saying that technology had advanced to where the replacements were lasting 25+ years and he thought you shouldn’t have to wait ten years to have quality of life. X-rays are only two dimensional and didn’t really show just how badly my joint was damaged. My only regret is that I didn’t find that doctor earlier. I really waited way too long to get my left hip replaced…it was even worse than my right one…but work etc made me put it off until I just couldn’t stand it any longer.

Posterior approach takes longer to heal, and truthfully, I know right now I’m not able to ride yet. As my physical therapist reminds me…I am meticulous about following my vet’s advice for my horses in giving them time to heal and rehab…it only makes sense that I do the same. :wink:

mtngirl - if your left hip was worse when you got it done, then all the muscles around that hip were already having a worse time than on the right. that alone would make the healing go differently.

my PT said that no 2 replacements are alike - even on the same person.

Sorry if I gave out of date information – the items I quoted were after discussions over two years starting in about 2010 when my hips really began failing. My local ortho guy is good and I also consulted a doctor in Seattle at an ortho specialty clinic, and that was the information I came away with regarding THR. I’m glad to hear improvements have been made in the procedures and maybe lessening the restrictions.

I am very happy with re-surfacing and it was the right thing for me. YMMV :slight_smile:

Best of luck to all regardless of paths chosen – living with the pain sucks.

Well I tested mine out today:uhoh:. I was doing some ground work with my mare and was walking backwards. I’m not sure what happened other than I ended up falling on my right hip:eek:. My foot got stuck and my big butt kept the momentum? The hip seemingly took the licking and is still ticking. No hip pain at all. My back isn’t any too happy with the twisting it got but the hip (7 months out) feels great.

What a klutz:disgust: I cannot make a habit of this :no:.

Susan

kyra - HA! i busted my wrist a couple summers ago because I tripped and had a NOT ON THE HIP!!! moment…

lesse - titanium vs. a 5 3/4" wrist…guess which would have been better!

Tollertwins…yep, my guess is the titanium would have fared better.
I would rather not test it at all. My mare looked at me on the ground like I had grown 3 heads. The arena was all in all pretty soft so that helps.

Susan

Had a total hip about 7 years ago. Doc said 12 weeks to ride. I was out of the hospital using a cane in 4 days. Went out to the barn the next day, mostly hanging out but did teach a few lessons from a chair. Had my doc’s blessing to ride at 6 weeks when he saw how I was doing. He assured me this hip will last a lifetime.
I was very fit going into surgery. Made a huge difference in recovery. I was in a whole world of pain before, now I’m like a new woman. Good luck!