Unlimited access >

Hock laceration involving the joint... Could really use some jingles! *GRAPHIC* (Back home 1/27, update post 40!)

Yay!! :partying_face:

Yay! That’s great news!

Lots of jingles for continued healing.

P.

1 Like

Gahhhhhh I went from almost tears to enthusiastic relief reading this. That looked bad. Lots of jingles for her.

1 Like

Dagnabit, new pony! Not a good start! You are way too cute to be sitting. Jingles and hugs and boops for that nose!

1 Like

@Tha_Ridge, what’s the latest on Miss Sillypants?

Great news about your horse!

FWIW, my horse had a very similar injury in almost exactly the same place on his hind leg a few years ago, and he’s sound as a dollar today. He was hooning around the field with his buddy going too fast to stop for the fence, so he jumped it and shredded the skin off his hind leg. In his case the skin was too ragged to stitch, so the vet just bandaged it. It took about two months to form a good scar, but since your horse’s wound is stitched it probably won’t take that long. While it was healing it started to look a little angry like it was forming proud flesh, so the vet gave me some ointment that took care of it with only one or two applications. But the biggest problem I had was changing the bandages and keeping flies off. It was hard to keep the wound covered that close to the hock joint, and the leg was painful so he really didn’t like me messing with it. The stitches in your horse’s wound, plus the fact that it’s winter so no flies, should make for a quick and smooth recovery.

5 Likes

She is so stinking cute!!! Hopefully you’ll keep us updated on your journey to RRP. She is really something special. Just love her! What’s her pedigree again? She looks a lot like an Into Mischief gelding at my barn.

I’m so glad you got good news, and you must be so relieved. She is adorable! Love a pretty TB mare. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It is indeed a silly update! She is doing very well in her splint, and the vet said the sutures have held extremely well. But our mare friend is HANGRY! She hasn’t passed a ton of manure yet, so they’ve been taking it easy on what they’ve been feeding her—a few mineral oil mashes, etc.—but Ms. Piggy has taken matters into our own hands and decided that she absolutely must eat her shavings now or else she will wither away and die. :joy: So… she has to wear a muzzle. He said if she passes more manure tonight, he’ll let the overnight tech give her another mash, so fingers crossed for her sake that she does, as we all know what it’s like to be hungry!

7 Likes

Here she is: https://www.pedigreequery.com/bellstollforme. I knew basically nothing about her sire, but Jess told me she had another by him that had an equally good brain and equally lovely canter.

1 Like

So glad your house had a great outcome, too! I’m a very impatient person so fast-tracking her to recovery sounds good to me.

1 Like

I, for one, never met an In Reality horse ii didn’t like. I think Relaunch was well thought of as a hunter sire.

1 Like

Sorry your horse got hurt. Injuries STINK!

But I have been through this type of injury three times (two different occasions with the same death-wish horse), so your horse is going to be just fine. Breathe!

4 Likes

Another update: she was a little sore in the stifle due to the splint, so the vet has decided to take that off since she’s otherwise doing well. But today, he is a little concerned about her pain levels. He shot rads of the stifle yesterday to make sure nothing was going on higher up and also tapped joint fluid in the hock again—still no signs of infection. She is bright and happy, eating well and passing manure. He did say he tried to taper her off Banamine but that she might just still need that to manage the pain—she is a young Thoroughbred mare, after all. I could really use some good jingles that she’s just feeling extra ouchy (understandable!), and it’s not something more. :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

It’s very possible that whatever she did, strained some muscles in general either during whatever happened to lead up to the accident, or in her struggles to get past it.

Has anyone done any evaluation of her SI area?

2 Likes

Jingles & AO for your new mare ~ may her recovery be smooth & boring ~

Blessed to have a sharp barn manager, talented vet and sensible mare ~

2 Likes

I’ll ask tomorrow! I’m going to guess yes, since he proactively X-rayed the stifle, but not sure. I just have to remind myself that it is literally his job to pre-emptively look for problems, and a little bit of soreness/pain doesn’t immediately spell doom and gloom. Oh, and to add to my no-good, very-bad week: I was going to go see her today and walked out to find a huge bubble in my tire’s sidewall that ended up consuming my day. I leave for a work trip tomorrow at 6 am, so I won’t be able to see her again until next Saturday—although I hope she’ll be back at the farm by then. :pensive:

3 Likes

If she stuck her leg through a fence and yanked it back hard enough to do that damage, I would imagine she could have some sore muscles as well. Fingers crossed for you.

3 Likes

@Tha_Ridge, how’s it going? Is the dressing off yet? What’s her ouchiness level?

She came home today, cute as ever! I can’t wait to see her tomorrow (I was away on a work trip until tonight). She is still in a pretty hefty bandage but is very comfortable and mobile. She will be on stall rest for 14 days but is allowed to take short walks and hand graze so long as she behaves herself. Sutures will come out on Feb. 3.

Some gruesome wound photos are below for those who like that sort of thing. This was on Wednesday, so one-week post incident:

9 Likes