Unlimited access >

Homozygous silver stallion - Europe?

What about foxtrotters?

https://mfthba.com/stalliontour/stallions/chocolatier/

yes we mentioned that at the very start of the thread :slight_smile:

Probably unlikely they are shipping frozen semen to Europe though.

Akel - Tekhe have some interesting colours (Russian horse). Not going to search it myself tho.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the one in Germany http://www.pferde-gesund-reiten.com/zucht/schaenzers-silver-lining/

i bred 3 silverdapples from my dutch kwpn mare, who comes from german lines. my mare was a silverdapple brown.

her father nocturn s. ladykiller was an silverdapple, and he had it from his mom, aumina, she was a silverdapple as well.

and it is a 50% change of breeding silverdapple, and my mare was only breeding blackbased colour.

i know there was a silverdapple kwpn stallion, i will look him up. he was at stallionsshow en aproved to do the stallionstest.

Tukker, numero uno x burggraaf. dont know were he is now, but comes from top mare line, if he is offered as stallion for breeding, he is a good oppurtunity.

This stud has quite a few ā€˜double flaxenā€™ horses - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stoā€¦67306629981071 Not sure what colour that actually is due to translation, but some of their ā€˜double flaxenā€™ horses look palomino, others look liver chestnut with lighter mane & tail. They may have a stallion that would give the type of colour effect you are looking for but at the same time maintain a good performance bloodline. I donā€™t know anything about colour genetics but it seems unlikely you are going to find what you are looking for together with decent conformation and performance.

As mentioned above the akhal teke has unusual colour variations with a special shimmer effect - in the EU there is an AES licensed stallion called Kamberbay that is perlino with the shimmer effect https://www.solaris-sport-horses.coā€¦stallion.shtml

Although the phenotype (physical expression) of the ā€œdouble flaxenā€ horse looks similar to a silver dapple, flaxen is a totally different genotype that only works on the chestnut color (although actually they donā€™t seem to know the gene for flaxen, but breeders know that it only affects chestnut, and it clearly isnā€™t the silver dapple gene).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaxen_gene

Iā€™m not even sure what ā€œdouble flaxenā€ means, unless it means both the mane and tail are flaxen. There is no gene yet discovered for it, and itā€™s likely a combination of genes, therefore a horse cannot be genetically 'double flaxen" with any certainty.

Iā€™m fairly certain Silver doesnā€™t exist in the Akhal-Teke.

1 Like

I know both of my suggestions are not homozygous silver :slight_smile: I was just (a) interested in what a double flaxen is as I have not heard of it; (b) on the basis for all the reasons described by posters above already, since a well bred, performance tested homozygous silver is not really feasible, I thought those were studs worth looking at to perhaps try and possibly get a phenotype similar to the silver, whilst retaining a reasonably good cross with a the mare in question.

I think if colour is that important, as someone already mentioned, it is better to buy a foal on the ground. If breeding a nice foal is the priority, although perhaps silver is a hard ask, there are plenty of nice, approved stallions that although would not produce a silver genetically, could still produce something similar.

1 Like

Nothing to do with color but allicat, congrats on your boyā€¦ very nice accomplishment for him and you!!

1 Like

Just saw this thread. We are based in UK and have some silver carrying horses.
The eye issue that happens in some but not all homozygous silver horses is not fully understood, but it is still rare to see them crossed, because many breeders are happy to take 50/50 odds, and focusing on other things besides colour, too.
There was a RMH homozygous silver stallion in EU for a while, but not sure if heā€™s still alive, or if is offers frozen. Name is RMF Mister Risky Boy. He had a son that was also homozygous? I think? but if I recall correctly may have passed away. Iā€™m not super sure- I can look this stuff up if you are really interested.

Other than maybe that option as a breeder that really wants a silver foal out of a non-silver mare, your options are wait possibly for many years until someone does breed in EU and stand one publically, or buy a silver mare to use on a silver stallion (brings your odds to 75% rather than 50ā€¦). Not great options, but thatā€™s just the reality of it!

Actually just thinking now, maybe there are homozygous Comtois stallions in France.
I actually have a half TB half Comtois mare that is absolutely stunning, very correct, great movement, perfect in general.Iā€™ve seen draft x TB crosses goā€¦not wellā€¦ but sheā€™s one that went right. If you have any French speaking friends worth looking into, though I have no idea of Comtois stallion owners freeze semen let alone export it

1 Like

Was going to suggest Akhal Teke, my uncle breeds them ( doesnā€™t sell, just collects and very very very few mares).

If you was to breed to an Teke breed something like Kambarbay. He is not what a teke normally looks like he is more of the new sports horse teke, not many people in Russia like this new teke at all.

https://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/perlino_akhal_teke_stallion.shtml

found these guys also
not sure if anyone suggested these.

https://www.horizonsilverstallion.com/stallions/jaguar1/

https://www.horizonsilverstallion.com/stallions/horizon-2012-kwpn/

Iā€™m fairly certain Silver doesnā€™t exist in the Akhal-Teke.

And yes, the sporthorse type of AT is very lovely, Iā€™m a big fan of Kambarbay :yes:

I didnā€™t mention Horizon, Jaguar, or Skyfall because they are all Zz and OP very clear she wants ZZ! But, for others reading this thread that are interested in a Zz option, they are all owned by the same stud and all actively standing in UK (Scotland).
Thereā€™s also some other silver pure KWPN colts in EU that are still foals or yearlings but owners have every intention of approving and standing. Again, Zz.
I double-checked and RMF Mister Risky Boy I think is still alive- and he AES approved. So maybe the only ZZ sporthorse option in Europe right now (he is purebred Rocky, but jumpsā€¦)

1 Like

Nope no silver for the tekes but OP did say ( im 99% sure) she wanted some fancy color, and tekes have some fancy colors. Not sure how they would mix ( not the sports horse type the original teke with the longer back, etc) with TB ( conformation wise and temperament), Tekes can be very difficult and temperamental, not all but a majority. They really are not the happy hacker types they you can be a weekend rider on.
But I think the newer sports horse types ( Kambarbay ) are more suited to that.

Ah sorry im not very good with color genes. Thought they looked like decent stallions with silver gene. Maybe a quarter horse? im not sure if they have ZZ ?

Is the silver gene present in the American Saddlebreds? Just curious since Iā€™ve seen so many with flaxen mane/tails. What is the issue with Scottish fold cats?

I donā€™t see where sheā€™s looking for just any fancy color, but maybe I missed it too. ATs do have dilutions of cream, champagne, and dun, and if thatā€™s what the OP was looking, that would open up a ton of other options

Not sure how they would mix ( not the sports horse type the original teke with the longer back, etc) with TB ( conformation wise and temperament), Tekes can be very difficult and temperamental, not all but a majority. They really are not the happy hacker types they you can be a weekend rider on.
But I think the newer sports horse types ( Kambarbay ) are more suited to that.

Agree on both accounts, I would only breed to the types like Kambarbay if I was looking for a solid riding horse, never mind a sporthorse.

[/QUOTE]

Silver is pretty rare in the QH, and I think (?) theyā€™ve been mentioned. I donā€™t think any of them are ZZ, there are just too few of them and closely related. Champā€™s Guthrie is one line (the only line? a little fuzzy on that atm), he did produce a very nice Silver son, but i"m not sure if heā€™s standing anywhere, much less if heā€™s still intact. Heā€™s got several lovely Silver daughters, one of whom is in a nice breeding program overseas (Germany I think)

Either way I wouldnā€™t go with a teke, not because I dont like them, grew up with them, uncle still has plenty of them. Still ride them when I got back to Moscow. But too many variables with them. A lot of people who have ridden them love them, but realistic they are not ammy friendly horses.

Like I said im not good with color genes at all, im not a breeder of color, actually not a breeder at all. Wonder if you do mix that ZZ gene with a tb of OPs coloring what would turn out? Sliver as she wanted? or is that not realistic?

This is rather interesting.

Since the OPā€™s mare is homozygous black (but no idea if she IS black, or is bay/brown), we know the foal would be black-based, which is good - Silver doesnā€™t present on red-based colors.

But what that black silver, or bay/brown silver would look like, is entirely in the air, and largely based on how well the chosen breed expresses Silver. As I pointed out earlier, the Silver in the QH lines is pretty subdued. It can be very subdued in Morgans too. RMH? Loud. Look at Platino above - his Silver comes from his Welsh side, where silver tends to be very obvious, but can also be quite muted. Platino doesnā€™t have a ā€œsilver dappleā€ body, and his mane and tail, the real indicators heā€™s silver, are ā€œmutedā€. Itā€™s obvious to me, but to others his mane and tail might just look bleached.

If the OP wants an obvious in your face Silver, s/he needs to buy one