Unlimited access >

Horse Height?

Hi I have a daughter who is 5’2 and I’m asking if she is able to ride a 14.3 hand horse? Would she look funny on the horse? (like too big in the horse?)

Don’t think she’ll look too big…

I’m 5’1" and my mare was not quite 15 hands and we looked okay.

Got a pic?

I think that would be totally fine. I’m 5’10" and sometimes ride and jump large ponies. They handle it physically and I don’t think it looks odd. But then I’m not out showing in some discipline where people get all fussy about ‘suitability’. It may make a difference if you are doing, say, hunters vs trail riding or western gaming or something.

I also think she should be OK. I am 5’7 and my last riding horse was a large pony.
I also rode several Morgans around that size and they were fine with it.

I don’t worry about height so much, as girth size to use up the rider’s leg length. Some smaller horses have large girths, so even long legged-folks look fine, no feet below the belly line. My old Western mare was like that, only 14.2H, yet girthed up at 78", so even my long legs didn’t hang down below the belly line. I am not really tall, 5’7", just have long legs. She was not a big bodied animal, just quite proportionate in looking at her. Just when measuring her with a tape, she had some really interesting dimensions. She was a good mover, easy gaited, covered the ground well, though not a fast horse for speed. A nice all-day ride as my Grampa put it.

Other more streamlined horses don’t girth so large, so when a tall person sits on that horse, they may have legs down below the belly line, look too big for the animal.

You want to consider the length of your daughter’s legs, in fitting her to a horse. If she is shorter legged, that more streamlined body can be a better fit to get her legs down and around the barrel when riding. A wider bodied animal, big girth size, could make her legs stick out, not be able to grip well for good riding comfort or a solid seat. I see kids riding horses too big around for their shorter legs, can’t sit still or cue the horse well during the ride.

I have to imagine it would be fine.

I am 5 '7" and rode a 15.2 QH. His barrel filed my leg . I was perhaps a bit long in the torso to make an elegant picture, but it was fine.

I also rode a 14.3 mare and had to compensate my toes out a bit. Size 10 feet met her elbows on occasion. She also filled out my legs fine. I think at 5’2" you daughter sounds perfect for this size. Give it a try

I’m 5’ 3" and my horse is 14.2.

Also 5’3" and I ride a 14.3 Connemara. He’s so comfy!

My OTTB is 14.3 on a good day - I’m just shy of 5’-6". She’s built like a tank so it looks fine. People don’t necessarily need a large horse. Can’t tell you how many times people would tell me they need at least a 17 hand horse and they were significantly shorter/smaller than me :rolleyes:.

Your daughter is fine on a 14.3 hand horse.

My OTTB is 14.3 on a good day - I’m just shy of 5’-6". She’s built like a tank so it looks fine. People don’t necessarily need a large horse. Can’t tell you how many times people would tell me they at least a 17 hand horse and they were significantly shorter/smaller than me :rolleyes:.

Your daughter is fine on a 14.3 hand horse.

Depends on the build of the horse/pony. If it’s a solidly built 14.3 she’d be fine, if it’s a light boned, dainty pony she might look too big. A male friend of mine breeds/breaks lots of large ponies he’s about 5’10 and rarely looked too big on them.

[QUOTE=DakotatheAQH;8317604]
Hi I have a daughter who is 5’2 and I’m asking if she is able to ride a 14.3 hand horse? Would she look funny on the horse? (like too big in the horse?)[/QUOTE]

In the practical sense, no, she is not too big. For any activity your daughter would want to do with that horse, the horse should be plenty big enough for her.

However, when it comes to the show ring, different disciplines have different aesthetics and the overall eye appeal depends on the build of the horse and rider. If the horse is a dainty little thing with light bone structure and very narrow barrel and your daughter has a more athletic build, then maybe she won’t present the ideal show ring picture, depending on the discipline you’re competing in. But, if the horse is a solid little QH with a big barrel, the picture will be quite different.

From the time I was about 12 up until I was in my 20’s, my primary horse was a narrow-bodied, small-boned 14.2 hony. I was not fat, but did have an athletic build (broad shoulders, muscular legs). I’m only 5’3’’ as an adult, so was no taller than that as a teen, but when I look at pictures of me back in my later teen years on that horse, I do think I looked too big. Let me emphasize that I was in no way too heavy or unbalanced, just that the picture we presented did not match the show ring ideal.

It’s really more about the barrel than height (to an extent). She sounds like she would look fine if the horse has a good rib cage. What discipline is she showing in? I ask just because there can be a “picture” and stride they want in the hunters. I am 5’3" and ride a 14.3 jumper “hony.” I am too fat currently but he has a naturally HUGE barrel for his height and thicker cannons, etc.

Agree with Fig. It is the barrel that matters. My 14.1 hand stallion evented successfully with a 5’8" rider. She did not look too big one him.

I am 5’2" and weigh 105 pounds. I own/train/ride/compete a 13 hand welsh cob at prix st. george. I’ve taken him up through the levels from ground work. He’s far from done with his career despite my size and insistence that in exchange for being fed and cared for he carry my sorry backside around the arena and trails :winkgrin:

I’m 5"4", horse is 14.3hh, I don’t look big on him…

14.2H large pony & 5’6 1/2 rider. Long term suitability wasn’t in our favor, but we didn’t look too ridiculous together. Pony’s new mommy is like 5’8 and they JUST start to look silly :wink:

Largely depends on the length of the rider’s torso relevant to the overall length of the pony and how the pony carries its head.

I agree with NoSuchPerson. Generally speaking it should not be an issue at all. I am 5’7 and my pony is just under 14.2h.
If you are showing it might matter depending on what discipline you are doing.

I’m 5’ 9" and my oil-barrel-on-legs of an Arabian is 14.1.
With the breeds that tend to run smaller (Arabians, Morgans, and the Latin American breeds), it’s common for taller people to ride 14-15 hand horses.