Unlimited access >

Horse scores a 5 in dressage

I was reading a round up of last week’s events and was surprised to read that a rider earned a 5.7 at Ram Tap. So, I go and look at the scores and the entire division was pretty low scores. Most were in the teens and twenties. When I get in the twenties, I am ecstatic! What are your thoughts on this score?

It’s in an intro division (although most of the divisions with that same judge appear to be overall scored lower than the others). I recall being at a different HT (opposite coast) probably a decade ago now and one of our barn kids scored something like a 12 in intro/elementary/whatever on a pudgy no-neck pony. At that level I think some judges will score generously as long as all the basics are solid.

It was the Open Intro division which is the level below starter. It’s a great score but I don’t think you can infer much at that level. It’s an easy test and probably generous judging, plus the rider that won is a pro so that helps.

1 Like

Did any one else read the title and go “a 5? what’s the big deal? I’ve gotten a lot of 5’s, and 4’s and…” and then read the post and went “ooooo - not me, then, never mind, carry on”

64 Likes

You weren’t the only one! :rofl:

3 Likes

That judge is a NOTORIOUSLY low scorer. It drives me insane. I posted about this on my IG that weekend and I had several people reach out In agreement. One person said she saw a pretty bad test and commented the horse broke to the trot three times in the free walk and that horse still got a 20!!

I actually have an email to USEA to send about this. She is consistently scoring horses 10+ points lower than their average. I started drafting a spreadsheet to keep track of this last year when she scored a horse a 12 in one of the novice divisions. If you know what events she’s at and you look at scores, you can tell which divisions she scores. Imagine receiving a 25 dressage score and still sitting in 12th place.

Here is why I have issue with this, as it does not just affect the people in the division:

1. Yes they’re all against each other but what about people on teams? Often teams will compete against each other. Say teams across all BN divisions - it includes open BN and BN rider which might have 2 different judges. Now these people are competing against each other with the dressage judging being so vastly different. Obviously discrepancies between judges happen, but 2-3 pt difference is wildly different than double digit point difference.

2. It affects TIP awards at shows, where all TBs are slated against each other on an entire level. If you have a judge that is 10+ points off, suddenly that rail isn’t so influential anymore.

3. dressage standards should be upheld and if judges are off by 10+ points, one of those judges has a misinterpretation.

4. MERs. If you see a truly attrocious test get a 38 that another judge would’ve scored over a 45, suddenly this becomes a potential safety issue.

5. Can skew sales horses record. Did the horse you’re looking at get a 25 in dressage to sit him in first place, or did your 25 put the horse at 16/17?

ETA - yes the horse who got a 5.7 was in intro but she scores this generously at all levels.

25 Likes

I’m confused. By my understanding, an overall 20 is a very good score in Eventing dressage. Most average riders are in the 30s and even 40s. A 5 in dressage scoring is “adequate”, as in not terrible but not very good either. So is American scoring different?

1 Like

That is exactly how I read it, and then I realized that the 5 meant something totally different here.

In this case the final score for the entire test was 5 (or 5.7 I think). It wasn’t a score of 5 for one or two movement. So the equivalent of a 95% on a test in regular dressage scoring.

3 Likes

It’s the equivalent of a 95% in recognized dressage. It was only a walk trot test too.

3 Likes

Ahh, 5 as their final score would be quite extraordinary, given that the highest ever pure dressage score is 94.3% by Charlotte Dujardin with Valegro.

1 Like

It was in the Intro (starter) division. Walk, trot, and canter. Grasshopper is their division below Intro, that has the walk/trot test

1 Like

To put it in additional perspective, on this particular weekend this judge scored 5 divisions and 67 horses. The lowest score across 67 horses was a 33.2. Here is the break down of scores:

Under 10: 1
10.1-19.9: 13
20.0-29.9: 45
30-32.9: 7
33+: 1

The other 6 divisions that were judged by 2 different judges had 101 horses remaining and of those 101 horses, ten scored sub-30, and there were zero sub-20 scores.

I’m not claiming this break down to be statistically significant, but it sure is eye opening when you just sit down and look at the numbers.

10 Likes

My then 9 year old daughter on my 16.3 TB earned a 9.5 in their green horn debut. They should have retired then and there!

6 Likes

We had a charity show (if I remember correctly) in my area - unrecognized, Elementary through Novice. There was at least one Olympian acting as dressage judge and he was doing the same thing - really unrealistically low scores. I guess it’s fine as it is unrecognized and what not but I would have felt that the judge wasn’t really taking a critical eye to my test with scores like that. Did you even look or are you not taking this seriously? Because I am.

I also went to another unrecognized event and had the lowest score in my division…I was first to go in for dressage and the scores got progressively lower for each horse - progressive and systematically. That was also annoying - like OK, did you watch the tests or did someones say something to you? When you look at horse 1 - 38, horse 2 - 35, horse 3 - 33, horse 4 - 30…it doesn’t look good. And yes we all went clean so I ended in last place because I was the first to go in dressage.

I always love getting a really good score at a schooling show and then some railbird wanders in and says the judge was “generous” because it was “just a schooling show.”

4 Likes

Maybe the meaning of “a pro” has changed since my day, but I’m having difficulty imagining Karen O’Connor entering into such a division.

The meaning of a pro is just anyone who gets paid to ride, train, or coach. There’s no requirement to show at a particular level, but IIRC from when I looked this particular rider had experience up to prelim. I assume she was there to build confidence or address issues in a young horse. The open divisions mean that anyone can enter, if that’s what she felt the horse needed I really don’t see anything wrong with it.

9 Likes

Tamie Smith took a horse intro there, I believe it was last March. If the horse needs it the horse needs it. Absolutely lovely horse that just floated above the ground when it moved. She didn’t get a 5.7.

Personally I get more irritated when I see a trainer entering the rider division just because they can. Like, YES I understand what the rules say and that it is allowed, but it just rubs me the wrong way when I see an accomplished event trainer entering rider divisions.

8 Likes

It’s a sale horse.