Unlimited access >

Horseback and on-the-ground exercises for strengthening/weight loss?

I have a dilemma, and that dilemma is “I am exceptionally out of shape”.

When I was 18 years old, I weighed 110 pounds at 5’5" and had a six-pack and thighs of steel. I am now 21, still 5’5", but 168 pounds and made of squish.

The source of my dilemma is let’s say 60% bad habits (stress eating, eating while bored, essentially the “eat all the things” mentality that I accidentally inherited from my mother) and 40% lack of the regular exercise that I had when I was younger. I used to ride at least 3-4 times a week for 90 minutes or more. I worked at a barn for 6 hours a day hauling hay/buckets/feed/etc.

I tore my right ACL skiing in March of 2013 and had surgery in June, had to stop riding for a good six months, and then I made the highly intelligent decision to buy a super green, super hot OTTB gelding. It was when that horse started bucking like a rodeo bronc that I discovered that my Velcro ass and previously-iron core were missing. I also had at this point broken ties with the barn where I had previously ridden, because of personality conflicts as well as injury.

Well, the gelding belongs to a friend now, and I have an OTTB mare. She’s hot, but not dangerous, and I adore her. But she’s only 15.2 and weighs about 900 pounds, so I’m really concerned about my weight in comparison to hers. I’m also just really unhappy with my weight and condition in general, and I want to fix those things.

I understand that the actual weight loss portion is about 80% diet, and I’m really working on that (already lost 12 pounds in the past month). But does anyone have suggestions for strengthening? On or off the horse?

Well, you’re not by any stretch of the imagination too heavy for her unless SHE is disastrously unhealthy/has a back injury.

For legs and general balance, I like ballet barre workouts (emphasis on plies in particular, which are sort of like squats but far less painful.) To do them properly requires engaging the core, holding a good posture that helps the back, and strengthens the legs and glutes. And because correct plies keep your heels on the floor they stretch your Achilles tendon the right way for riding. They aren’t generally going to do a huge amount of fat burning but they’re good for full-body toning.

[QUOTE=danceronice;8025579]
Well, you’re not by any stretch of the imagination too heavy for her unless SHE is disastrously unhealthy/has a back injury.[/QUOTE]

She’s in very good shape (her trainer thinks she might be a little TOO fit!). The concern is that she has had back soreness in the past, but we believe that it was because of saddle fit. The one spot of back ouch was injected and saddle fit has been corrected, and she’s doing much better. So I don’t think I’m too heavy for her, but I think it would be better for me to be a little lighter and improve my balance.

Oh, and as far as exercises go, I forgot to mention that I’d really prefer not to do anything that requires classes I have to pay for >.< No spare money in the budget right now. I will look into barre exercises I can do by myself though!

A well-balanced heavier rider is going to be easier on the horse than an unbalanced lighter rider.

On the horse, any saddle time is going to help, but riding with no stirrups is always good. There are also a lot of exercises you can do at the posting trot (ie. stand two, sit two- and various permutations of that). Since she’s had back issues in the past, just be careful that you balance these exercises with not bouncing around too much on her. I might consider a ThinLine pad or something like that to help reduce concussion.

For general fitness, I’ve done P90X before and thought that was a good program, but unless you have a friend that can loan it to you, that will be $$. DailyBurn might be worth looking into. It’s $13/ month, they have a bunch of different programs, and you can try it free for a month to see if you like it.

[QUOTE=cheerio280;8025692]
A well-balanced heavier rider is going to be easier on the horse than an unbalanced lighter rider.

On the horse, any saddle time is going to help, but riding with no stirrups is always good. There are also a lot of exercises you can do at the posting trot (ie. stand two, sit two- and various permutations of that). Since she’s had back issues in the past, just be careful that you balance these exercises with not bouncing around too much on her. I might consider a ThinLine pad or something like that to help reduce concussion.

For general fitness, I’ve done P90X before and thought that was a good program, but unless you have a friend that can loan it to you, that will be $$. DailyBurn might be worth looking into. It’s $13/ month, they have a bunch of different programs, and you can try it free for a month to see if you like it.[/QUOTE]

I’m looking into getting a memory foam half-pad, but it’s going to have to wait until my next paycheck (those things are pricey!). And I’m definitely going to be careful about making sure she’s properly warmed up before I do any sitting trot or no-stirrup work.

Actually, I think I do have P90X somewhere, I used to do the ab workouts. So I’ll probably start up on that again. I’m also hoping to start riding more regularly - I’ve been off of her for about a month while the trainer works with her - and hopefully if I’m able to put in half an hour to an hour per day, that will help too.

trot and canter in two-point, in the correct position. a lot. :yes:

There are some pretty excellent rider fitness groups on facebook that do daily check-ins and challenges specifically geared towards weight loss and strengthening for riding. I’m in a couple of those groups and really appreciate having that daily accountability, it’s inspiring and informative to see what others are doing on their journeys. I’ve made new friends and we have a small support group. You might consider finding and joining one. It does amazing things to have others going through the same challenges as you.

We’ve done a number of different exercise challenges since I’ve joined. My favorite by far is the pilates. It does a lot to strengthen your core and surrounding muscles, without being too strenuous.
When I was less fit, I was doing a lot of steep hill walking with a strong focus on my posture and centering as I moved, that helped me get some initial toning with my butt, legs and abs.

Riding burns a lot of calories so as long as you are doing more than just a saunter down a trail, you’re working your body and muscles. Just regular trot and canter and walk work played a huge part in my weight loss (I’ve lost 86lbs on my journey so far).

Good luck!

For me, the single most effective thing I do is work on my abs. They are never strong enough.

You cold try the 30 day plank challenge, available on line. A number of COTH’ers started it - you don’t have to do the whole thing, but by following that, you will get a lot better, if not exactly super-woman.

Do you mind sharing the names of the groups? I’ve lost around 30 lbs with just diet management alone at this point but I know I’m going to need to start incorporating exercise sooner rather than later at this point. I think something geared towards riding will be more motivating than just general workouts.

Something that has HUGELY helped me is an app on my phone for tracking calories. I originally started it to make sure I was getting adequate nutrition during a medical thing that has severely restricted my diet, and while the diet restrictions are still in play, I’m finding that it keeps me accountable for what goes into my mouth. I’m religious about tracking, so if I think it’s going to push me over my daily amount (which is reaaallly hard to do with my diet being so frigging restricted…I miss alcohol! and coffee!), it’s easier to say no.

Best of luck, OP!! I know how hard this is!

Thank you for the advice, everyone! I would also definitely be interested in knowing the names of those FB support groups.

I’ve been using the Lose It! app on my phone, and it’s been extremely useful for tracking what I’ve been eating (even though the calorie budget is mean to me!).

Unfortunately, Place of Work gave us free food at a going-away party for a supervisor, and I’m pretty sure I just used up my entire budget for the day D:

Sent a few PMs already but I just got permission to share these groups on the forum.

I’m active mostly in the Fit for Dressage group, which also has a sister group called Epona Fitness Wellness Group.
The way it works is the admin posts challenges to the Epona group and then the Fit For Dressage group has the daily check-ins. So the groups share a lot of users.

I also joined another group recently called The Athletic Rider Fit Club. It seems to be more open by discipline. This group looks like it has great challenges and check-ins as well, I’m just finding that I don’t have the time for multiple daily challenges.

[QUOTE=dontskipthecafe;8025836]
Thank you for the advice, everyone! I would also definitely be interested in knowing the names of those FB support groups.

I’ve been using the Lose It! app on my phone, and it’s been extremely useful for tracking what I’ve been eating (even though the calorie budget is mean to me!).

Unfortunately, Place of Work gave us free food at a going-away party for a supervisor, and I’m pretty sure I just used up my entire budget for the day D:[/QUOTE]

I simply cannot do that 1200 calories a day bs. I would probably chew my own face off. I am a large person though. I’m almost 6’0" and I have bigger hands than most men I know. Plus I burn a lot of calories each day. So I’m at around 2,000 calories a day. I honestly don’t keep a strict eye, I am more focused on eating healthier, less processed and more diverse a selection of veggies and grains.

[QUOTE=emipou;8025970]
I simply cannot do that 1200 calories a day bs. I would probably chew my own face off. I am a large person though. I’m almost 6’0" and I have bigger hands than most men I know. Plus I burn a lot of calories each day. So I’m at around 2,000 calories a day. I honestly don’t keep a strict eye, I am more focused on eating healthier, less processed and more diverse a selection of veggies and grains.[/QUOTE]

Ughhh, I’m trying to lose 2 pounds per week and it is awful. My budget right now is 1233. The thing is, I’m not usually hungry when I eat too much. I just used to see food and go “FOOD” and shovel it into my face :stuck_out_tongue: If I have to actually think about what I’m eating and record it, I don’t even have the urge to eat nearly as much.

Everyone is going to find a different way to do it. :slight_smile: Whatever works and isn’t detrimental to one’s health…

Maybe not 2,000 calories… It’s hard to say because I’m not tracking them. Probably lower than that like 1600-1800. It’s lower during the week and higher during the weekend.

1233 is pretty low for a calorie budget. Not DANGEROUSLY so, but it would be if you cut it any further. Would you feel better if you upped it by 200 calories a day? It doesn’t sound like a lot but it is if you are only eating 1200 and you fill it with mostly-nutrient-dense stuff.

My budget sits at about 1700, but I work out 2-3 times a week. I’m losing at a rate of 2-3 lbs/week which is slow but doable for me. I know some of the stuff I do (capoeira, etc) probably wouldn’t be good for you because of the ACL tear but there are strength training exercises you can do as well and some physical-therapy type stuff might get the ball rolling, because strengthening the muscles that support your knees is never going to hurt you.

Look into the Dukan diet. It’s pretty easy, and sheds the pounds really fast! During the summer when I was following the thing to the T, I lost about 10 kilos with three months. The first one to three days are horrible, mind you, but after that it’s very smooth. PM me if you have any questions (=

Aaand, When Two Spines Align has a lot of exercises off horseback. And try googling pilates for riders, etc.

counting calories does zilch for me, mainly because I start obsessing. What does work for me is eating whole, nutrient dense food and no processed carbs (no grains, gluten, sugar). Eating a plate full of veggies, good quality protein and some fats is a) going to be low calorie by default, compared to a sandwich or something else involving pre-made food and b) its going to keep you fuller, longer. I’ve been doing a Whole30 and there have been days I have to remind myself to eat! My blood sugar is stable and I only get that “I’m STARVING” feeling when, in fact, I AM hungry.

As for exercise, what kind of impact exercises can you do with your knee? I would suggest looking up HIIT (high intensity interval training). It is SUPER effective at burning fat and increasing your general fitness. A very basic example is sprint work where you sprint for either time or distance, take a rest for that same time/distance. Perform multiple rounds (like 10) or for a set period of time (20 minutes).

Body weight exercises like squats, lunges, pushups, etc will also help improve your strength if you don’t have access to a gym.

For on the horse work…lots of two point and no stirrup work will help with your strength and balance. Try doing your entire warm up in two point. That one will burn!

I’ve just started doing some yoga at home. There are heaps of videos on utube, so flick through a few and see what appeals. I’m already feeling the benefits from the stretching.
A friend I ride with occasionally does exercises like the pony clubbers do when she first gets on and just before she gets off. They certainly keep her supple and fit.

I got on my horse last night for the first time in about a month, and she was wonderful! I did most of my warmup in two-point, and I think that was good for me as well as for her back.

But I am soooore. I think the part of my muscling that has suffered the most from not riding is my lower back. It cramps up and hurts when I trot in two-point for longer than once around the ring.

that is usually a sign that your abs are weak and/or that your hips are tight! Tight hips and hamstrings can pull on that lower back, and if your back is stronger than your abs it will compensate.

Another exercise you can start doing is planks. Just do it when watching TV or something…like plank during the commercials!