Unlimited access >

Horze.com Blanket Reviews please

Hi All,

Let me preface my request by saying that I already know a lot about the big name brand blankets so I’m not interested in other brand suggestions.

I would like to know your review(s) of the Horze.com blankets and the Horze.com customer service. I’m liking that they offer free shipping both ways.

I am specifically interested in fit for a 16h3 TK mare with broad shoulders:

Crescendo 80g rug
Crescendo Polycotton rug
Down & Over All Purpose rug
Crescendo stable liner rug 250g

Thanks for your feedback!

I don’t have those specific blankets but I was very happy with the quality of the blanket I bought, and a farm I visit has tons of them as well. Customer service was excellent.

I found it to be waterproof, although my horse doesn’t spend all day outside in the pouring rain.

I bought tons of Horze stuff when they were running their 50% sales last fall/winter. Happy with every single piece of it, and have since ordered stuff at full price.

Been very happy with the blankets I have, although I just got the rainsheet that comes in all the fun colors for turnout. (Have plenty of adorable fleeces and cotton blankets, but there’s very little to critique about a fleece blanket!) They run true to size (that is, measure your horse how they show on the site, and the blanket will fit!) and the rain sheet I have worked well on a paint mare who is big all over…the highcut neck is quite nice.

And I am a huge meanie, so yes, she has stood out in the pouring rain in it for hours and comes in dry as a bone underneath. It hangs overnight, and is ready to go the next day.

The rain sheet is a true sheet, no padding or fill at all, just waterproof fabric. All the fittings were high quality, no rust on them going into its second year of duty. The straps are LONG, which I could see being an issue on a horse who is all-over slight and slim, but hasn’t been an issue for any of my horses.

The one caveat is that I don’t have horses who are rough on blankets, so the tug-of-war-durability has not been truly tested. But you take that risk with any 600D blanket, really.

I don’t have any of the blankets you’ve mentioned, but have been really happy with the Avalanche rain sheets/turnout blankets I’ve had. Fit my horses really well, tough, well-made, and look great.

Thanks for the replies so far! My new mare is so much larger than my last gelding and I haven’t been blanket shopping in several years. He was a really easy fit.

I sent a Mio turnout sheet to try out and it fits her perfectly in the shoulder but is apparently rather long. Having not had a mare in a long time, I don’t want the long blanket overhang urine splash issue.

I have 3 different sizes of 3 brands from my gelding to see where they will fall on her (though I know they will be too small). They will give me a good picture of which brand will fit the best.

I have always been a big fan of the Schneider VTek (I have an 8 yo VTek that belonged to my gelding).

I just happened upon the Horze website and their blankets look very nice for the price though I’m not sure how I feel about the 600D. Then again, my gelding was pretty hard on his blankets in the early days.

I really liked the look of their blankets, but couldn’t buy into the 600D.

If you’re looking for cheap, I wound up with a couple of these and have been pleased. There’s a sale list here.

For $155 + shipping, I picked up a sheet and a medium weight high neck in 1200 and 1700 denier. I’ve only had then for a couple weeks, but Pigs is already wearing them and I’ve been happy. I’m usually a Rambo person, but couldn’t stomach the cost when this horse should outgrow this size.

I bought the Avalanche sheets for my boys last year I bought a set of the fleece lined and unlined when it was 50% off. I liked the fit very much, and they were waterproof, but the 600D didn’t last 2 weeks with my moderately destructive crew. The fleece lined was extremely warm which was nice as I didn’t have to put on heavier blankets when the weather got cooler, but if it was even remotely humid or if the boys rolled in wet snow, I found the fleece attracted and held dampness. I also found the fleece lined wouldn’t slide against their hair and was prone to pulling tight across my wide barreled gelding’s shoulders.

The unlined sheets fit great and were waterproof but didn’t last very long.

I ended up giving all 4 blankets away at the end of the season. While I was tempted just to stitch them and hold onto them for back ups, I didn’t want the hassle of cleaning all the hair out of the fleece. My older gelding starts shedding on Jan 15 each year and his was covered in hair.

This year I shopped early at Schneiders and got a set of 1200D TOs, mid weights and neck covers for around $400 for both horses.

Thanks all. That gives me enough information to continue looking for another alternative.

I have ordered a few products from Horze and found that if you measure the way they show you on the size chart that yes, they do run true to size. I’ve used the customer service chat and talked to them via phone and they were happy and helpful. All the turnout blankets are waterproof, i’ve left my horse outside in the Crescendo rug and it kept her completely dry. I’d suggest their products to a wide variety of customers.

[QUOTE=buck22;7236634]
The fleece lined was extremely warm which was nice as I didn’t have to put on heavier blankets when the weather got cooler, but if it was even remotely humid or if the boys rolled in wet snow, I found the fleece attracted and held dampness. I also found the fleece lined wouldn’t slide against their hair and was prone to pulling tight across my wide barreled gelding’s shoulders.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen with my mare, but it didn’t slide over her withers. Ended up using it in really cold weather over her Horseware Insulator-slid around then and didn’t pull. I won’t put it on her bare.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7235306]
I bought tons of Horze stuff when they were running their 50% sales last fall/winter. Happy with every single piece of it, and have since ordered stuff at full price.

Been very happy with the blankets I have, although I just got the rainsheet that comes in all the fun colors for turnout. (Have plenty of adorable fleeces and cotton blankets, but there’s very little to critique about a fleece blanket!) They run true to size (that is, measure your horse how they show on the site, and the blanket will fit!) and the rain sheet I have worked well on a paint mare who is big all over…the highcut neck is quite nice.

And I am a huge meanie, so yes, she has stood out in the pouring rain in it for hours and comes in dry as a bone underneath. It hangs overnight, and is ready to go the next day.

The rain sheet is a true sheet, no padding or fill at all, just waterproof fabric. All the fittings were high quality, no rust on them going into its second year of duty. The straps are LONG, which I could see being an issue on a horse who is all-over slight and slim, but hasn’t been an issue for any of my horses.

The one caveat is that I don’t have horses who are rough on blankets, so the tug-of-war-durability has not been truly tested. But you take that risk with any 600D blanket, really.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully GoForAGallop will see this. I visited Horze.com site, but wondering which rain sheet you bought? TIA.

[QUOTE=Halter Alter;7264854]
Hopefully GoForAGallop will see this. I visited Horze.com site, but wondering which rain sheet you bought? TIA.[/QUOTE]

The Avalanche. Per your other thread, it’s an unlined sheet but it’s “heavier” than my Amigo and Saxon sheets. Like you pick up the folded blankets and it’s clearly heavier than the other.

Never had anyone sweat in it or anything, but if you’re looking for basically just a poncho, I’d go with the Amigo or Weatherbeeta instead. :slight_smile:

Reviving this thread as I am back on the hunt AGAIN. Blanket shopping is becoming as frustrating as saddle shopping.

So here is what I did:

I went with what I knew and got a WB Orican Freestyle because I found a great deal on eBay. I ordered based on past experience knowing their blankets run large. Even going down a size, the blanket SWALLOWED her and promptly put a rub mark on her neck.

So I switched to the WB Stretch Combo thinking that the combo neck would relieve the rub situation on the neck. I have never had a quality issue with WB so I didn’t even think about that when I ordered. That is the WORST blanket ever designed by WB. I wrote a full page review for Horse Tack Review (which promptly got eaten by the Internet). I’ll have to regurgitate it and post on COTH later on but trust me, DON’T buy it.

So now I am hesitant to purchase any combo neck blanket (unless from SmartPak- for returns) and am thinking that a high neck would be a better option.

So what are your feelings on these blankets for fit? Run true to size or larger/smaller? Quality? Do they fit nicely on the neck? No gaping?

I do not own a blanket destroyer. :smiley: All of these blankets are within $20 difference in cost.

Horze Avalanche 200gm MW TO - high neck 1200D
SmartPak Deluxe High Neck 220gm MW TO 1200D
Eous Madrid MW Mid-Neck 150gm 1200D
Amigo Bravo 12 Wug MW 250gm 1200D
StormShield 220gm 1680D Iridium Euro High Neck from Schneiders (no, I haven’t had a problem with their service)

C’mon COTHers! Help a girl out. Thanks!

I would do the stormshield personally. But the avalance comes in some cute colors!

The amigos have always done well for me. The horze blankets I have gotten end up tearing really easy. I have one that has lasted a while but is on a horse that is easy on blankets and doesn’t let anyone bother his blanket. He is a big guy and works well. Just another option but I do like the rider international blankets. They fit my less broad horse and my big stocky ones also well. Amigo tends IMO to be a lot like mio blankets and run about the same

I’ve had the Avalanche but I don’t recall it being 1200D, so this might be a different model than the one I had, but to answer your questions:

So what are your feelings on these blankets for fit?
Love the fit on my broad shouldered, round barreled, medium wither height, long coupled Morgan. Hated the fit on my super chunk, medium chested, huge barreled, low withered short coupled Mustang (the drop was too short but the length too long. It didn’t last long enough to cause rubs :()

Run true to size or larger/smaller?
True for the moderate build equine, too small for fatty-cakes

Quality?
On the order of construction paper (ie not quite tissue paper, but not much better either). I didn’t have 1200D either. Hardware ok, stitching just fine.

Do they fit nicely on the neck? No gaping?
Yes. Only gaping when heads down for grazing, though I don’t see any way around that on high necks.

I did love the protection of the high neck, my aged mustang loves to hang out in the rain and eventually water will run down his neck and over his chest in regular neck t/os.

Shadytrake, did you ever get one of the Crescendo turnout rugs? I’m interested in this one, as the description makes it sound like it might be a great fit for a large horse with big withers, shoulder and chest. Link to the one I’m referring to:

http://www.horze.com/turnout-blankets-and-rugs/horze-crescendo-rug-200gsm/24411.html#PDB

I am also intrigued by this one, does anyone have it? The collar area looks like it might reduce pressure on the neck and withers?

http://www.horze.com/turnout-blankets-and-rugs/horze-royal-equus-exclusive-turnout-blanket/24357.html#DDB

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7235306]

The one caveat is that I don’t have horses who are rough on blankets, so the tug-of-war-durability has not been truly tested. But you take that risk with any 600D blanket, really.[/QUOTE]

This is just about what I would report - bought a bunch of stuff during 50% off sale, including Avalanche rain sheet in gorgeous purple. It still looks great, works great. Mare & pasture mates aren’t blanket destroyers.

see, same story :slight_smile:

I went with the Schneiders closed front blankets (Versatility model) because the lack of buckles reduced rubs across the chest. They fit her great and the quality of the blankets is awesome. I got the sheet, the medium weight, and a heavyweight with bellyband. The price was too good to pass up and I have always been satisfied with the Schneiders so I went with what I knew.

http://www.horseworks.com/turnout_rugs?b=1
Have you looked into Saratoga Horseworks? I have a Tempest and Nor’Easter Extreme for my Arabian and I just got a Tempest for my stepdad’s Holsteiner. It fits great. I found that with the Primaloft insulation it is much less weight and bulk on their shoulders and withers which helps with rubs/soreness. They do offer a WB cut for larger breeds too. Price wise- they are more expensive. But you get what you pay for. They’re made in the USA too! SHW is having their Annual sale early November if you want to wait and see what will be on sale then. I’ll try and get photos next time I visit.