Unlimited access >

Hose Timer - I left the freaking hose on at the barn again last night!

So I’ve bought a cheap timer off of Amazon to hook go between the hose and the barn pump and setting it hoping it will stop that from happening. Of course, I will have to set it to shut off first, and I believe each time.

Does anyone have one? Are there one’s you can set to always cut off after like ten minutes? That would probably work even better.

I always feel like such an idiot when I do that and I’m afraid I’m going to wear my well pump out.

Where did you leave it running? If you were filling a stock tank, you might consider a float:

I call these my ‘flood abatement devices’ :slight_smile:

I bought one of those timers after the pony came home and I had to remove the float because he was standing in the stock tank pawing. Unfortunately it was broken and sprays water everywhere… it should work though, you can’t use the water without turning it, and then it’ll count down and stop the water.

2 Likes

That’s an idea, but I have two tanks and then a smaller trough for the minis, so I need to be able to move the hose around, hence my thinking of putting a timer on at the pump outlet.

Leave a good sized rock at your tap. When you turn the hose on, put the rock in the pocket of your jeans, front pocket. It’s mildly uncomfortable. As you are leaving the barn, you think, “why is my pocket so uncomfortable?” And realize that you still have to turn off the tap, and remove the rock from your pocket, place it back in it’s spot.

6 Likes

At every hydrant, I hang an elastic wrist band with a bell, and I put the wrist band on when I run that hydrant.
Can’t tell you how many times wearing a stupid BELL on my WRIST has kept me from forgetting that I have a hose running. :smiley:

11 Likes

I’ve been repeatedly doing the same thing! A couple of times I left the water overnight. Flooded my turnout paddock and 1/3 of my arena. Grrrrr.

I’ve started telling Siri to set a timer for 5 minutes. Or 10, depending on my guess. It’s worked so far. But I do like the bell idea. Sometimes I don’t have my phone with me.

Leave your car keys at the tap.

5 Likes

The wonderful Mr F installed smart switches on the farm water pump, the electric fence, outside lights, electric blankets etc. The phone app allows you to turn everything on and off from wherever you are, and has a timing function. So I turn on the farm pump, and have it on a 30min timer.

It’s absolutely brilliant, but you do need wifi.

And this thread has just reminded me that I forgot to turn the electric fence back on … fixed now :grin:

3 Likes

I love that idea!!!
It’s so easy to forget the hose. Countless times, I remembered half way home and had to turn around (good thing I live 20 min away) or I had to call someone to turn it off :frowning:

1 Like

I have some timers to screw into the faucet but I don’t use them. I had my own irrigation accident. I forgot to turn off the faucet at the house but I had a nozzle on the end of the hose that was turned off so I didn’t notice. Actually I had two hoses screwed together. The water pressure built up and blew one hose apart. I irrigated the paddock, one pasture and the dirt drive and left a huge puddle at the gate. It had been raining every two days so nothing needed to be irrigated. ka-ching!!! There went my water bill. I am better these days about checking the hose at the house and listening if I hear water running.

Orbit makes some mechanical timers that are easy as pie and fail safe. They cannot stand super high pressure water, so you might need to temper the flow, but they are fantastic. I have a fancier one on the well water, every other day it runs for 10 minutes and it’s easy to override as needed. Done.

1 Like

Cheapo that works

Orbit 62034 Mechanical Watering Hose Timer, Colors may vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FLGHGE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HBFVTR1QRABB9BZX8G0C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Brilliant!

1 Like

Great to hear as this is the one I’ve bought!

I do like this idea too, but am hoping the timer works out.

Unfortunately the wifi does not reach to the barn, but I am totally jealous at your enterprising husband. Mine is pretty useless for this sort of thing, god love him. :roll_eyes:

But, but, it’s my back yard and I don’t drive to the barn. :grin:

I like this idea but I don’t always wear something with pockets to the barn.

I also used an orbit for my tank. Now that I’ve got auto waterers I use it for the sprinkler for my horses on hot days.

2 Likes

Ooof … about once a year I did the leave the hose on in the field trough only to return to what looked like a medieval moat around my barnyard. I solved it by writing in sidewalk chalk across the floor of the barn aisle in letters about 2 foot high “Did you turn the water off???”