How do YOU afford horses?

Hubby has a good job. Prior to that, I worked my a** off, FT, OT. Plus, I’ve (almost) always been a self care boarder, have no aspirations to show or be “in the big leagues”. Once I left my job, I picked up barn work until I finally got injured one too many times.
I vet my clinics/trainers carefully so that I’m not throwing money down the drain for lessons that net me nothing.
I also research like mad to keep up learning about health care, hoof care, etc., so that when the inevitable happens - or to prevent what could’ve been prevented - I will know the what/why/when/how and can present a clear picture to my vet/farrier.

This horse life…has gotten so incredibly complicated (or it can be). I like to follow the KISS rule. Saves money and sleepless nights. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a combination of a lot of things:

1. Horses live out. It’s how I prefer to keep horses anyway but it also tends to be cheaper. Saves quite a bit in boarding costs per year until I can get everyone home.

2. I buy cheap horses. I have a good eye for conformation and temperament, have the knowledge to rehab a horse who needs conditioning and because I can fix pretty much any training holes or issues I come across I can usually get horses for free or virtually free.

3. I buy high quality, used tack. I paid $2,800 last year for a very nice McCall saddle that easily costs double that new, fits everything I put it on and will last me a lifetime. Yes, it’s a large up front cost, but over the course of my horse endeavors, it pays for itself multiple times.

4. A lot of “doing it myself”. I learned to trim and got really good at it so I can take care of the farrier needs of my herd. I do almost all of my own training - while I don’t take formal “lessons” anymore, I have a network of good horsemen and women that I connect with as needed, whether that’s by attending clinics (which I do regularly) or by hauling in to have them help me a specific issue. I’m constantly pushing myself to learn more and get better and I’ve become a pretty darn competent horsewoman that way. There’s a lot to be said for slogging through the mud, so to speak, to figure it out yourself. I tell my students regularly that no one “needs” a trainer - what they need is the desire and confidence to do the work and a trusted, educated teacher to access when they get stuck.

5. I work my tail off. Horses are a lifestyle, not a hobby, so I have found that “affording” them is less about how much money you spend and more about how you invest what you have.

3 Likes

I struggle with PTSD and depression and have found that when I am in a dark place and not able to see myself being here in a month or a year, I buy a horse because “who needs money when you won’t be alive in six months”?

Therefore I’m the dumbass that now owns five horses… well four horses and a very ancient mini mule. I am a government employee so make a good living… and I also get disability pay from the military. But as a result, I cannot afford stall board for five horses and rent in Northern VA/DC area, so I live with my family at the moment (which I was doing anyway because of the mental health issues, but now I definitely won’t be moving out if I become stable in the next year or so).

Don’t be like me :lol:

4 Likes

I didn’t have horses when I could either buy tires or pay rent. As my earnings grew (English degree, career began in EMR software training and consulting, now 20 years on I’m running the training programs for an international company) I then bought a cheap horse (1800 bucks) and boarded at a cheap place. I grew in my career. I met DH. He had worked his ass off and bought and paid for land and over time, cleared that land enough for a house and some pasture. I was a package deal of a girl a dog and a horse. 20 years on we’ve built and paid for our house. We’re on our 2nd and last LQ. I don’t compete anymore, when I did it was modest/regional. We have three horses between us and trail ride only.

We buy good quality things and take care of them. My dually is a 2007 and I’ll drive it until the wheels fall off. The horses live out. We don’t have kids by choice. Our weekends are fixing fence or cleaning up trails or getting a ride in. No social life, LOL. He owns his own business and manages his money wisely, I’m the stable income, maybe the primary breadwinner depending on how you look at it, and I carry our health insurance. I’ve never spent more than 2500 bucks on a horse, and that was for an absolute rock star of a gaited trail gelding who will gait all day or plod along like a QH and never, ever step in a hole. More common sense than most people in his head. I take care of my tack- my most $ saddle is a used Neidersuss, spent 1K on it. I don’t throw money away tearing stuff up through neglect. I won’t have a horse if I can’t call the vet. If I couldn’t afford that, I couldn’t take the stress of hoping they didn’t get hurt. That’s what horses do.

I don’t know how or why we do it- Horses just eat money. At the end of the day it’s just what we do.

3 Likes

I live frugally in a small house and work two jobs. I also am at the horses just about every day and feed a particular set of horses (right now about 14) and ride one extra a day for my friend/trainer/barn owner to work off board. I used to pay a reduced board but after a big horse sitting gig (watched 50+ horses for 8 days while barn owner was on vacation), I haven’t paid board in a while. Between herself and her dad, they keep financial records that show what I paid vs. what I worked off and apparently that barn sitting gig paid way more than I though it would because I haven’t owed anything in a year. I do make extra if she’s at the races and I am in charge of feeding in the evening (to include making feed, feeding 50+ horses and sometimes making breakfast for the next day).

I also get free lessons from her when our schedules sync - about once every other month or so I will have a dressage lesson. I have not had a jumping lesson in a while but I have been at the same level eventing for a while so it isn’t really necessary. With dressage, we are continuing to work on new things that are above the level we are competing. I have some confidence issues jumping, which has me on a bit of a plateau - though hoping to move up soon.

I do have a 10 year old car with 200K miles on it and borrow a truck and trailer to get to shows. I don’t show as much, though I like competition, it can be stressful (especially since I have to coordinate transportation) and as long as we keep advancing somehow, that is satisfying for me.

I am a single, never-married. Which means on the bright side, I had time for horses and didnt have to afford children, but on the other hand, my paycheck was the only thing supporting me.

I have had one(or another) horse for most of my working, and now retired life. My last, longest career was as a teacher, so not top-paying but reliable money. I afforded horses by living frugally and not buying expensive things, new cars, or much in the way of vacations. I also lowered my sights regarding competing as it got increasingly expensive.

I am now retired but my house is paid off and I have no other debts. I keep my horse at a modest boarding barn and, since my instructor only comes once a month during the warmer months, his costs are not too bad. (Except when he needed an MRI! :eek: ) I may got to a few schooling shows. I probably could afford to do more, but I choose not to.

3 Likes

Got rid of all our debt (minus house).

We follow Dave Ramsey for the most part and this helped us get on track to get horses. My hubs makes about double what I do but I have free healthcare. We have 2 young kids so a big issue right now for me is time, rather than money. I am in the process of getting things together to teach lessons to help cover the cost of the horses. Then that money will go right back into improvements for our property. No showing or lessons here. Maybe in the future, but again, time is the big issue for me. We easily cover the horse cost while still putting a large sum each month into savings.

I realize that entire paragraph is a jumble of thoughts. Basically - good jobs, good healthcare, no debt = comfortably supporting 2 horses at home with no lessons or showing involved.

1 Like

This is sort of embarrassing, but… had the right parents, married the right man, have the right job.

ETA: no kids, and no mortgage!

3 Likes

No debt is the key to it all; I’m in the same boat as you, but it took a lifetime of sacrifice to get there.

2 Likes

When I first came out here very young, I bought a horse and boarded her in the nearest place which was very expensive.
I soon learned that it was more than I could handle, so I leased the mare to a friend who paid half expenses - we are still flriends forty plus years later. It was quite a good idea, actually, because it gave me time for a social life, too. No matter what, I was not giving up the mare.

1 Like

Dave Ramsey and his “Debt Snowball” plan is the reason I’m able to be comfortable in my senior years. I run the farm and the business and make sure I don’t get in debt. I don’t have horses now, but I’m always on the lookout for one.

It sounds like most of you are financially comfortable, but if debt ever bites your behind, check out Dave Ramsey on the radio. He makes paying off debts fun and teaches you how to take control of your money so you never get in debt again. That’s how it works for me. I give all the glory to the Big Guy in the sky. He guides me in every step.

2 Likes

When I was single and boarded 2 horses I had a full time job . I also did some work for the BO and rode horses for other boarders which offset my boarding costs.

Now keeping horses at home for almost 30 years since I married , I just keep things simple and we have no problem affording them. I always live within my means , so we are not in debt.

Well, paying job supports my Knabstrupper stallion’s showing and standing. It truly is a love for the breed because money is not made :lol:

I am a Configuration Management Project Support Lead for a very large power company (13yrs).

You shouldn’t be embarrassed about that. Life is life. It doesn’t make anyone better or worse.

OP what I’ve learned is no matter what you do you either have the time or you have the money. With luck you have both. I’m in the having the money category right now. :lol:

I think there is a lot of truth in this for many equestrians. Of course we all know many exceptions but the majority of people who comfortably afford horses in my world started off on a different trajectory than the average person from birth.

What is humbling to me is that I started off with an exceptional amount of privilege, earned several degrees, married a brilliant man who is well-employed, we have no children, and it is still pretty darn fiscally irresponsible for me to have a horse on pasture board. It is hard to envision our income ever reaching a point where Wellington is no big deal or the idea of a $6,000 saddle doesn’t create a wave of nausea.

1 Like

Before cancer the horses and farm were 100% supported by my late husband’s work. After cancer took him, and laid me so damn low, it’s a huge struggle. But, I have finally figured out a way to move forward and support myself, the horse and the cats by buying a small property where I can rent to a housemate or two, and that will pay the bills and allow me some breathing room. On what’s left of his pension and my monthly disability, it’s def not easy.

Like others said, it’s key to not have debt. Chose to not have children and later figured out they are EXPENSIVE and take up free time that could be spent horsing around. Have a lucrative career and gave up showing to keep the horse spending down. Maybe show locally but probably not again USDF - that’s expensive.

Married to someone with a lucrative career and fiscally prudent BUT we keep money separate for marital harmony. Contribute together for all joint expenses.

Know my monthly living expenses and have projections for retirement on income etc so know this should all be sustainable. Two horses now and building horse facilities to bring them home and get a third.

This could not be more true. My salary could comfortable afford horses but the time needed to earn that salary doesn’t leave enough time for everything I want to do. Work, sleep, relax, & horses. I only have time for 2.5 of those things.

SO and I both work in tech, he’s an architect/solution engineer (I think) and when he decided to start a new job, had several companies fighting for him. I’m a software project manager doing education tech and some government work.
While I could afford a horse right now if I boarded at a low-cost facility, I decided to take some time off and pay off all debt. I should be debt free in about 17-some months with my car, student loans, and credit cards paid off.

At that point, I should be able to comfortably afford the costs of horses, training, and showing a few times a year.

If I could tell my 18 year-old self anything is that yes, you only live once, but don’t buy or lease that horse. You’ll get to buy your dream horse sooner if you just wait.

Currently studying, work at a retail job part-time. Hubby works full time as a Nurse, but he’s only just started there. Before that he had a relatively well paying job as an assistant for a home doctor service, however the hours were always fluctuating which made it very hard some weeks.

Between us, there are 6 horses in work/competing. He events and I do dressage. The horse’s live board free at my inlaws which is the only way we’re able to do it with the numbers we have. All the feed and hay is brought in bulk and the cost split between us, my inlaws (who breed Friesians) and the 2 boarders that have their horses there. It’s a lot cheaper buying feed by the ton that it is doing anything else.

We both compete once a month at least. There’s a separate account for competition fees and anything like prize money (HA HA!) or stable cleaning refunds go back into that account. We both put money into that account every payday without fail. It was hard at first but I don’t really miss it now. At shows, we either do a day trip and tie to the side of the float or if we stay overnight, we stay in the trailer. We do have a bigger horse truck/lorry set up with a full living area but it’s off the road at the moment. But it does save us enormous amounts of money staying overnight or traveling long distances.

It’s hard. We live pay week to pay week and have everything budgeted accordingly. One huge difference is we’re relatively debt free. No credits card and only paying off one car. We don’t buy things unless we save up for them. No kids either. We found out a while ago it wasn’t in the cards for us without a lot of assistance and since neither of us was fussed on having a family, we’re not doing it.

For us, the horses are our number 1 priority with everything we do. Our jobs, study and everything else is centered around having money to have them and be able to compete.

2 Likes

Software developer and small coffee business. Wife is a marketing expert. 17 yo daughter is going to be UI-designer (didn’t become a pro rider, unfortunately). We doing kinda fine, but still, sometimes we have to save up to afford a horse. Not a lot of traveling lately, but it’s alright - the horse is our fun and treasure!