How do YOU afford horses?

Working with horses is not conductive to affording your own horses.
Add to that the kind of horse you then want and need is beyond what most can afford.

Then, working for those that have the top stables and horses, I had better horses to start, train and compete with that most get to be around.
Some were olympic gold medal winners, world championship winners.
Horses that had or went on to become top horses with those that could afford them.
Also was around people that were at the top of their disciplines, learning so very much.

That was fine with me, don’t need to own a horse to love it, care for it, help it be happy and trained best it can be.
For me, the horse is what counts, not that I own it or do with it what I want.

Everyone gets what suits them out of their horse experiences, the horses in their lives.

the feed store we use has an annual year end promotion… 20% off anything but hay… so we buy a year’s worth of whatever we think we are going to need at that time…but we do not have to pick up all the feed at one time, we get as needed …this way we always are getting feed that has been bagged no longer than a month

(It is a small chain of nine stores, they use this year end money to twist their suppliers hands into deep discounts… that is how it was explained to me when I asked the owner)

Very interesting. I believe we live in a similar area- mind telling me what feed store it is?My parents have 3 yrs horses (including mine for the foreseeable future) and would certainly be willing to buy a year’s worth up front for that lovely discount.

Well said! In a NY minute I’d take your situation. Being around top quality training and barn management along with top quality horses would be a dream come true.

I’m a surgical subspecialty physician and waited to buy my first horse until I had completed all my training (30 yo, started riding at 5) and started my real job. I also bought a sub 10k horse because I had just started and personally I do not believe in going in to debt to purchase a horse-there are enough expenses and debt potential after you own them. I’m pretty lucky in terms of pay-hours ratio because I’m in a specialty which tends to be high pay without super long hours and I chose a job with excellent benefits and regular hours which pays a little less than I could probably make if I busted my butt on my own. I work 8:30-5/5:30 5 days a week with a night call once a month and about 4 weekend calls a year where I can earn more pay/vacation if I have to come in.
My husband has a decent job but will be leaving it soon to be a stay at home dad as we embark on kids. I’m sure being a mom will cut into my horse time but having his schedule be flexible will make it easier on me especially riding after work. I board my horse at a high end barn and he gets 2 training rides a week plus 1-2 lessons weekly and I do some local rated showing-so pretty high on the expense scale.
I honestly think if having a nice horse, riding often and showing are a priority for you, you should look at careers outside of horses and be very selective and be prepared to really pay your dues in the form of work and potentially educational debt on the front end. Lots of physicians and surgeons I know work crazy hours and don’t make as much as me, but I was very careful to observe which specialties offered a horse compatible lifestyle and chose based on that.

1 Like

make the beasts work… mini dresses as unicorn… $550 per appearance

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:10592852}[/ATTACH]

IMG_6950.jpg

1 Like

You, slave driver you.

Unicorn, priceless.

1 Like

Same, but I was pretty sure I’d want to be able to retire early if I got the chance (more than I’d want to spend it all while I was still working). It’s always a gamble, but now that I’m retired I’m glad I went for the “save now, spend later” option.

I used to have my own farmette, on which I could board a few outside horses, which paid for the feed of my own horses, so that worked for me.

Now I afford horses by not having horses. I ride other people’s horses, taking lessons, or leasing.

I’ve decided to learn to drive by going to some nearby clinics where there will eventually be hands-on training. Looking forward to that.

1 Like

I am single, live in a modest house, drive a 13 year old car, commute 75 miles one way to a job that pays enough money to afford my horse habit. I can’t remember the last time I bought any new clothes, went out to dinner or took a vacation that cost money, but since my horse is my whole life, it’s all good. I hate traveling because all I want is to go home and ride anyway. I board my horse and work off hours so I can ride 5 days a week before I go into work.

Time wise? Self employment
Money wise? Good question

Seriously. 3 vet visits in one week. Mine needs to do some community service or something.

I’m part of the born into the right family group. My dad supported the horse through college and professional school (vet school). When I wanted to compete I had to pay for it, which meant a decent amount of local shows in high school and college, but very little in professional school. That worked out well because it coincided with my old geldings semi-retirement. I worked at the boarding barn during school to work off most of his board.

Now, 3 years out of school, I have a $500 horse. She is pasture boarded and has fantastic feet so goes barefoot. I did take both those things into consideration before “adopting” the mare last year as I had wanted to get my finances in better order before getting a horse again. But I missed it too much, and she fell into my lap. I have money to take lessons. I’m saving for a truck and trailer. Once she’s going well enough I plan to start doing a few schooling shows and perhaps 1-2 rated per year.

Vet med is a fairly low paid profession considering the cost of school, but I’m banking on public service loan forgiveness. I work ER and therefore work “worse” but fewer hours than your average GP. It leaves me plenty of free time to ride 5-6 days most weeks.

I was a working student as a teen and couldn’t afford my own horse until I was an adult and worked as an attorney. Initially I bought a cheap OTTB, got him up to Prelim, and later after we bought a tiny horse property often had an extra project OTTB but also bred a couple of nice horses. I took some of the money I earned as an attorney and bought a couple of small rental properties, rehabbed and sold those, then bought a larger apartment complex. I still work part-time as an attorney but have more time to ride now and my teenage daughter rides as well. We both event at Prelim level and we spent a bit more money getting her a nicer horse with some training. His purchase was a shock to my husband since he was used to me buying relatively inexpensive horses.