How do you pronounce it?

Thanks for the catch!! I was so caught up on writing the “rhyming” word of beaches that my fingers and brain clearly weren’t connected. I will fix that in my original post.

2 Likes

These kind of vowel shifts and related consonant shifts like p/b (same sound invoiced/voiced) are exactly the kind of differences that evolve between different dialects and can end up influencing spelling too. Most horse words are quite old in English and predate standardized spelling.

3 Likes

I think I use EH-quine if it’s an adjective “equine sports” and EE-quine if it’s a noun.

Always bree-ches. lunge as it’s spelled. Cavesson as in OP.

3 Likes

Breeches pronounced Britches. And never “a breech” as in some sales ads, which is just as silly as “a pant.” People can start mispronouncing words if they like just because they weren’t taught properly but I won’t. I will continue saying dandy brush and never switch to stiff brush.

Cavesson – CAV-esson AFAIK.

I’m glad to learn the correct pronunciation of Schleese here. I’d only ever heard it as “shleese,” at one barn but they were not words people.
But that BM also said “crooper,” so who knows. I say “crupper” because of the PP, but again, who knows.

Do you say Hoof to rhyme with Put, or with Poop?
Do you say Hooves or Hoofs?

2 Likes

Georgie wears a “breeching", not a “crupper”.
Br-each-ing. Cr-upper.

(Sigh. Posting from my phone is bad enough, editing a post . . . “Nevermore.” But you know what I meant.)

1 Like

I’ve only ever pronounced it or heard it pronounced cruh-per. That is also the pronounciation given by the OED (the only difference is that the “r” is swallowed in British English, and pronounced in American English).

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s not as if a horse wore a “crooper” at its croupe.

1 Like

Some of my American friends didn’t “get” Weatherbeeta. It’s clever in the original “wehthabeata.”

2 Likes

A little detail on “longe,” it’s not actually the French word for “long” as that would be spelled longue. “Longer” is a verb in French that means “to walk alongside” which makes a lot more sense.

I speak French but never actually thought about this until right about now when I finally looked it up :slight_smile:

13 Likes

And yet, if we look at etymology, that’s exactly what a horse does.

2 Likes

Cool!

The correct pronunciation is “feet” :rofl:

13 Likes

Or alternatively, “Heef.”

9 Likes

I say hoof to rhyme with roof, which rhymes with pouf. ( I realized people say “roof” two different ways, so I added “pouf”.)
I say hooves.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the technical term is “hoofies” :laughing:

11 Likes

Lil hoofie-woofies

7 Likes

Are we mixing species here though? Isn’t hoofie-woofies part of a Xmas rhyme that also includes roofies and chimneys and colourful noses? :grin:

1 Like

Around here it’s feetsies, but you have to be sure to annunciate that T, haha.

5 Likes

Your post wasn’t up yet when I last looked at this thread but I had a mental note to pay attention to what I say when asking for my mare to lift her feet to pick out.

I often am the only one in the barn so I have full streaming commentary when I’m out there. I definitely say “now give me your feetsies. Good, now the next. Good mare.”
:joy:

5 Likes

How about Neue Schule?

As someone who studied German, I say Noy-ah Shool-ah, but I think I am in the minority.

7 Likes