How do you pronounce it?

Now this one I read is pronounced New School.

1 Like

If I’m talkin’ to mine, I say foot; “Move this foot, or Pick up this foot. Please.” Generically, I usually say “toes”, 'cause that’s what they are (technically a toenail, I suppose), but mostly because it amuses me to do so :-).

3 Likes

As far as everyone else in my building goes, their cats and dogs all have nails.
I have nails. My cat has claws.

3 Likes

Ours have toenails, as in trim the cats, or dogs toenails. When the cats trash the furniture with them, they’re claws :-D.

4 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

When I was little I thought reindeer had paws. Because “Up on the housetop, reindeer paws …”

8 Likes

Ich bin right in here with you.

2 Likes

In my house, people have claws. As in “would you trim your claws, you stabbed me again.”

Rebecca

5 Likes

All this time I thought I was the only one!

2 Likes

I always thought it was just the present tense of the verb “to paw” - as in, right this second that reindeer is up there pawing with his hoofies.

ETA: Without seeing it in writing, it could also be “reindeer pause” as in, while out jumps good old Santa Claus.

5 Likes

My family had pulling horses for years so I’m well acquainted with both of those, but I still sometimes have to pause and think about the former when reading because it was always pronounced “britchin’”, lol

3 Likes

I’ve heard it that way, too :-).

2 Likes

It is. But I was a little kid. One of those songs you learn by hearing, not having the music or lyrics.

3 Likes

it’s funny that. I’ve heard “britchin’” from western tack people and “breeching” from Morgan show people. So i just thought the term changed with the tack/discipline. Having had driving Morgans, i just thought that was how you said it for them.

2 Likes

Is there an elf to head the reindeer? Or are the reindeer just really tired and ready for a break? Because I feel like cervids are flighty animals–what if they spook and take off? Does Santa just call a cab and hang out having whiskey and cookies while he waits (we were told as children that Santa prefers whiskey to milk)?

5 Likes

My stumbling block Overo and Tovero, we didn’t have those in England…

And then there are words that I just cannot say

Worcestershire
Anemone

For a start, I know what they should sound like, but my brain and vocal chords can’t cooperate.

2 Likes

Rhymes with bitchen, for those of us of a certain age!

Rebecca

2 Likes

Nobody can say Worcestershire. My family always called it “what’s this here sauce” from some joke we’d heard at some point.

Rebecca

4 Likes

It’s really a weird lyric when you think about it…which I have been doing all day :laughing: Like, if it is written “reindeer paws,” then that means there is just one solo reindeer pawing, since if it was reindeer plural it would be “reindeer paw.” So maybe it is actually “reindeer pause” as in, multiple reindeer pause on the roof…

ETA - I finally just Googled it in case anyone else was dying to know the answer :nerd_face:

4 Likes

My entire family? WOOstersher sauce or WOOster sauce for short. Woo as in wuss or puss(y cat), not like Russ.

1 Like