How do you pronounce it?

Yes

Like Worcester, MA - pronounced “woo-stah” by the locals :grin:

4 Likes

Naw, just Rudy. And (a mostly unknown fact), but the whiskey is for him, not Santa. Hence the red nose. The others get the cookies; Mr. Claws has to watch his diet.
Now you know “The Rest of the Story” :-D.

6 Likes

“WhasthischerSauce”. What it sez on the bottle ain’ it? :smiley:

4 Likes

Although I like a draft beer, I like my horses Registered Irish Draught, both pronounced DRAFT. Going out on a limb to say that in the US, all heavy horses are drafts.
After a quick search, I see that what we call Belgians are Belgian Draughts overseas. The only horse I can think of always referred to with the word Draught is the RID.

1 Like

That is interesting. IME American kids put out cookies and milk for Santa Claus, English kids put out brandy or whisky.

3 Likes

It’s “pause.”

1 Like

Woostersher. Woo as in Wool not as in Woohoo.
Worcester is Wooster like Bertie Wooster.

It is just the difference between British English spelling (draught) and American English spelling (draft), just like colour/color and theatre/theater. There is no difference in meaning or pronounciation (other than an American accent).

In British English “draught” applies to beer from a cask, air sneaking in under the door, the water displaced by a ship, drawing (in many senses), pulling, the game of checkers (in plural), a preliminary version, etc.

4 Likes

We put out cookies and milk for Santa, and milkbones for the reindeer. They like dog treats, right?

Rebecca

4 Likes

Most likely, since they have paws :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

So my niece told me.

1 Like

Back in the '70s we called door sausages Draft Dodgers.

2 Likes

Haa, I’ve heard of them as draft dodgers, but never heard the of door sausages. :rofl:

1 Like

Sausages may be UK English IIRC.

2 Likes

You are correct

How is anemone pronounced?

an-nem-moh-nee?

4 Likes

When I try and say it “an em on em on em on knee”

1 Like

Ah-NEM-uh-nee

2 Likes