Unlimited access >

How far North are the barn swallows?

First pair arrived on April 13. SE PA

First pair arrived April 13th - Niagara Region, Ontario.

Only one pair so far, hoping that others show up soon, I’m a little concerned as we usually have quite a few pairs.

Timely post - they are here!! Today, and a little early I think, but we did not have the ugly weather some parts had.

None yet here in Groton MA. I am anxiously awaiting their return.

Lots of barn swallows busy building nests in the eaves of the covered arena where I board. I love it since the last place I boarded were not as accepting of these wonderful birds.

I realize the bay area isn’t exactly north, but I love these birds so I thought I would chime in!

We’ll if they do not get here soon I will have to pack up my wine and visit some of you lucky COTHers and camp out in your barns!!!

Goldponies, you are the closest (I am in Nova Scotia) and then I can work my way south!!!

I take it back, they just arrived!

They’ve been in middle Tennessee for about two weeks. Maybe three. Still later than usual.

Yeah,they are back here in the fraser valley!

Ours started showing up today!

In keeping with the other Washingtonians, ours have been back for about a week. For the last two or three days we have had a small flock of Least Sandpipers on the perma-puddle in our driveway. Funny that to a migrating bird it looks like shorefront property!

Actually, I’ve been pretty alarmed about the swallows this year. My first scouts arrived 3 weeks ago, but few other have returned. A few more yesterday, but not the full amount. I typically have around 25-30 nests going every year. So far I only see about 3 pair and they’ve just started doing nest repair. They’re WAY behind schedule.

I have a barred owl the has taken up residence behind the barn. I wonder if that may be the problem.:confused:

No swallows here yet. The last time I had a nesting pair in my barn was 2009. I see a few scouts every year but there seems to be fewer every year. I’m in Ontario but closer to Toronto.

We have many nests in our barns and in the run in sheds… I haven’t seen any yet (I am in southern Ontario) - and I hope they stay away just a bit longer. It has been going down to freezing here at night still. No bugs to eat that I can see yet.
The barn swallows are my favourite.

The killdeer, redwing blackbirds, grackles, starlings, robins have been back for weeks, poor things.

[QUOTE=Salar;7545499]
We’ll if they do not get here soon I will have to pack up my wine and visit some of you lucky COTHers and camp out in your barns!!!

Goldponies, you are the closest (I am in Nova Scotia) and then I can work my way south!!![/QUOTE]

Where in NS are you Salar? My husband’s parents are from NS, and we have a house down there. (Canso).

[QUOTE=Fred;7548970]
Where in NS are you Salar? My husband’s parents are from NS, and we have a house down there. (Canso).[/QUOTE]

Hi Fred,
I am in the Annapolis Valley and spring is very, very late this year. In fact, we had a light dusting of snow yesterday morning but the weather gurus have redeemed themselves today with a sunny, warm day worthy of a trail ride (shortly).

I have been to a number of your Husbands shows in a tiny little venue in Margaretsville, NS…very much a fan. Canso and area is very beautiful, just like the people…

Central CT:
Three days ago a pair flew in, checked out last year’s nest, and is now hanging around outside the barn. Because of the summer heat= mites issue, I took down the nest as we usually do so they can rebuild a healthier one. They usually build it right over the bathroom door, so we are waiting to see if they will choose that spot again this year, and then will tape up a pizza box lid beneath it so visitors to the restroom won’t get bombed with bird poop.

My swallows were early this year arriving in southern NC on April 6. Was expecting them on April 12.

[QUOTE=Salar;7549381]
Hi Fred,
I am in the Annapolis Valley and spring is very, very late this year. In fact, we had a light dusting of snow yesterday morning but the weather gurus have redeemed themselves today with a sunny, warm day worthy of a trail ride (shortly).

I have been to a number of your Husbands shows in a tiny little venue in Margaretsville, NS…very much a fan. Canso and area is very beautiful, just like the people…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your very kind comment, Salar.
Very much appreciated.

Just noticed them in the indoor where I ride today. Watched one while DD had her lesson. Just above me, looked like it was assessing last year’s nest. Then several were chirping away during my lesson. Family reunion? (I’m in SE PA)