Unlimited access >

How far North are the barn swallows?

2 more pairs arrived today…

Okay, I’m feeling better now. More are arriving by the day.

I was just completely depressed last week when they had come and gone. After 23 years I can’t imagine a summer without them here.

I’m crazy for swallows and I’ve rehabbed so many baby “casualities” over the years in my house, when I can’t identify which nest it fell from and barely have their pinfeathers. Though they imprint on me, by the time it is time to migrate they go with the flock. Very rewarding.

I already have my mealworms stashed in the fridge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So sad.
No swallows here yet.
:cry:

In the Boston area for three weeks! :yes: Loves to Ride, they showed up at a local field almost exactly 3 weeks ago. Already nesting!

Ours showed up around St. Patricks Day on schedule, then disappeared for a week or so and now are feeding little ones. We just get one pair over the door
to the back yard from the living room. Had two pair a couple of years but it’s been a while.

There was another thread some time ago;
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?432326-The-first-swallow&highlight=swallows

First pair JUST arrived!! I was standing in the barn and in they flew!! Chattering away now, as only they do :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve just seen them today! (I’m just over the line from the NW corner). Hurray!

I LOVE this thread.

I thought I was the only nutcase that love their constant chatter and devotion to their barn and young…despite to poop on the walls.

They capture my heart every year they come back. Okay, I’m a swallow and bird dork.

I’ve been a birder since I was 6 years old. Hid it in my teens and almost to this day. lol!!!

Tree swallows arrived this morning! Doing their morning zoomies for bugs. I don’t know where they nest but they are around morning and evening in the summer. A little late this year due to the rain and cool weather. Yay!

None here yet. :frowning:

Like you sid, I love them, such beautiful birds. I love the little baby faces peering down at me while I do my barn work. And love to see the line of them grow on the telephone wire as they all fledge and fly…

Still waiting.

Sunday, Apr 27, I saw two perched on the line outside my barn. I live nabout 60 miles north of Columbus, OH.

No sign of them today, perhaps it was just a layover. Fred, maybe they’re heading to you!

Have not seen any at my place in VT yet (middle western part of the state)…waiting waiting!!!

The tree swallows showed up a few weeks ago.

Update. I must say this is very odd. Mine are back but only in maybe 1/8th or 1/4 the usual numbers. I’ve been tracking the breeding population and migration for about 23 years.

This is troubling.:frowning:

Saw one Barn Swallow yesterday…SE CT here.

I finally have Purple Martins nesting in our big Martin house we put up 2 years ago…the one pair I had preferred a small birdhouse on a fence post. That little house lost 1/2 the roof this winter, hadn’t taken it down when they arrived. Thankfully, they are now in the really big and high house, and it looks like more are there this week. Hooray!! More bug eaters!

We also have 2 pairs of Bluebirds, at each end of the paddocks. Those houses have to be spaced far apart, they are very territorial.

I had a few pairs move in this evening. Mid Michigan.

western Washington (state) has a bunch.

Haven’t had our’s show up. Plovers missing, too. Central West MI.

They were here and now they’ve gone! (It is a very cold, raw, rainy day)