Unlimited access >

how to hold double reins?

I’ve heard many different opinions on this subject, and I was just wondering if there is any one “right” way to hold double reins.

The way to hold double reins is the snaffle rein on the outside and the curb rein on the inside. You hold them this way so the rein you use first is the snaffle rein. I have also been told to keep the curb rein slightly looser than the snaffle rein. It definitley takes a little getting used to.

DH- That was the way I was taught too! I think it works best that way its harder to get the curb too tight!

Originally posted by horselovr121:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by HunterJumperLuv:
My theory is…

If you have to ask how to hold them, you shouldn’t be using them…

But, you very well could know how, and were just asking opinions, but w/e!

I ride my jumper in a pelham when he needs it, and a slow twist full cheek when he doesn’t. I hold the snaffle rein on the outside and have my ring finger in between. This is how my trainer has told me to do it, and it works for me and my horse. I was only asking because I saw the article in PH and was wondering if there was more than one “right” way to do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thats why I said "But, you very well could know how, and were just asking opinions, but w/e! "

I just say that because I feel that many trainers push pelhams on horse & ponies that don’t need them, and give them to people who can’t use them well… (Not saying thats you!)

I have heard both ways (as far as which fingers etc etc). But always, Curb is slightly looser than the snaffle rein, and the snaffle rein is always on the outside.

What Dunkin said

Originally posted by HunterJumperLuv:
My theory is…

If you have to ask how to hold them, you shouldn’t be using them…

But, you very well could know how, and were just asking opinions, but w/e!

I ride my jumper in a pelham when he needs it, and a slow twist full cheek when he doesn’t. I hold the snaffle rein on the outside and have my ring finger in between. This is how my trainer has told me to do it, and it works for me and my horse. I was only asking because I saw the article in PH and was wondering if there was more than one “right” way to do it.

Originally posted by moonriverfarm:
Since I ride in a snaffle, and don’t know, I have to ask - are we talking about one bit/two reind here (pelham bit), or two bits/two reins (as in a double bridle, with a bradoon and a curb). If one bit - is it jointed, therefore the “snaffle rein”?

Pelham…although the same thing might apply to a double bridle - I don’t know, i’ve never used a double bridle. My pelham is jointed, but some arent. The “snaffle rein” is the main one, and the curb/pelham rein gives more leverage.

Originally posted by Beau Peep:
So, if I’m getting this straight…

The curb rein is between the ring and pinky fingers, looser than the snaffle. And the snaffle is outside the pinky finger with more contact and leverage?

Almost! The curb rein is between your middle and ring fingers, and the snaffle rein is between your ring and pinky fingers…at least this is the way I was taught

You hold them reguraly but with your ring finger inbetween.

In the non-hunter/jumper world there are sorts of variations on the “full bridle” theme…

I have seen lifelong ASB trainers use a curb on the outside with the snaffle around the ring finger. That way they can “ride off the curb.” Amazing to watch them use the full bridle and get a perfect headset in one second. I saw Nick Skelton do the same thing in the jumper ring, with some 18 hand monster that tried (and failed) to rip Nick’s arms off!

Then I have seen trainers ride with the curb on the outside, with the snaffle around the index fingers. One told me the snaffle is secondary to the curb bit, so he wants all his hand muscles available for the curb bit.

Then I have an trainer friend who pretty much uses the curb, and leaves the snaffle in a big loop. Great hands - with so much experience he has trained nearly 200 world champions in ASB alone (has some Morgan WCs too).

Lastly, I saw a Morgan guy (most successful trainer of all time in the breed) show with the curb on the outside and the snaffle running over the top of the index finger and down the palm of his hand. Strangest thing. Looked like a beginner rider with the snaffle rein “the wrong way.” He would tilt his hands forward and back.

I’ve watched jumper riders use all sorts of variations. Whatever works

Originally posted by moonriverfarm:
Since I ride in a snaffle, and don’t know, I have to ask - are we talking about one bit/two reind here (pelham bit), or two bits/two reins (as in a double bridle, with a bradoon and a curb). If one bit - is it jointed, therefore the “snaffle rein”?
It applies to both a pelham and a double bridle. The “snaffle rein” is the one with no leverage. It makes no difference whether the mouthpiece is jointed or not.

The curb rein is between the ring and pinky fingers, looser than the snaffle. And the snaffle is outside the pinky finger with more contact and leverage?

which rein on the outside?

I’ve always held the snaffle rein on the outside of all 4 fingers, then picked up the curb rein between my pinky and ring fingers, the way you’d hold one single rein. I think it’s the same way enjoytheride described?

There is a good article in the most recent PH.

I pick the snaffle up first normally, then move it down, then I pick the curb up. So the reins cross and you have the stronger rein in the more adept fingers.

Originally posted by DH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Beau Peep:

Almost! The curb rein is between your middle and ring fingers, and the snaffle rein is between your ring and pinky fingers…at least this is the way I was taught </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Either is OK. I put the snaffle rein outside all the fingers, and the curb rein between little finger and ring finger. But I MUST wear gloves, or I tear up my little finger. If I found meyself riding with two reins and no gloves, I would do it DH’s way.

EQ108.2 had a rule change proposal that passed the Board of Directors on 1/15/06:

ADD: “When using 2 reins, the snaffle rein should be on the outside while the curb rein is on the inside”.

I was always taught to hold double reins together as if holding only a single rein, but with your pinky finger in between the two reins.