Unlimited access >

How would you handle this? Unqualified peeps blanketing horses at barn

Hi all,

How would you handle this? BOs now have one of their 19 yr old daughters picking up more “jobs” at the barn because daughter doesn’t have a job. She is super nice and has made money over the last couple of years cleaning troughs, paddocks, etc. She doesn’t ride, doesn’t handle horses and is not a horsie person. They are fairly new to horses and ride once or twice a month. They don’t do lessons or clinics.

Lately, they have asked her to blanket horses when they are out of town in cold weather. She just learned. She tried blanketing my horse when feeding recently, he moved forward, his nose touched the hotwire and he was shocked. He spooked significantly but was cognizant enough to not get in her space even though there is a fence in front of him and right on the side. She told me about this event and we both said she was very lucky and we talked about it. She and I get along very well. Of note, my horse has lived there for 10 years and has been blanketed for 12 years. He’s easy, as the BO told me 3 months ago.

I emailed BO and described the event, and asked if they could give the daughter more training on blanketing horses or a lesson with the barn trainer to work on ground work. One responded by saying my horse is somewhat unpredictable, damaged their run-in so they had to put hot wire in there (not true until they put a mare in with my horse’s gelding friend and they have a weird 3-some dynamic - they share a run-in), that he can be pushy to blanket (contradicted the last message that he was easy), their daughter was likely fine and that they have blanketed 200 horses in the time since they purchased the place. I replied that my horse is easy to blanket when he’s eating (and he just is all the time - they blanket and unblanket when they feed), I was talking about their inexperienced daughter, and that the only time he was hard to blanket was when the other of them tried to blanket him in a hurry and my horse took off running and fell to his knees. We talked about this incident years ago and the conclusion was that the husband was trying to rush things (said the wife) and didn’t have the right “energy” (said the wife).

They are not talking to me since this after-Christmas email exchange (even in social situations) and “want to talk to me” later in the week. I think the place is ideal for my horse, but I’m having concerns with what seems to be some serious reactions that I think, as a paying customer, I have to right to identify and come up with a solution for. I think their daughter could have been hurt by any horse that for some reason hit the hot wire when eating in a small area when blanketed. Since this has never happened in the previous 10 years (they’ve owned for 7), I’m going to assume their daughter new to blanketing/interacting horses was likely the cause. They now interpret such feedback as negativity about their business.

We’ve become good friends over the years and they were new to horses when they purchased the place. I’m really saddened by their reaction to the situation.

Am I being unreasonable? How would you address them “in the meeting”? How would you have dealt with the news that your horse who has been there for 10 years shocked himself on the hotwire while being blanketed by a non-horsie person?

There’s a lot to unpack there but I’d love to know your thoughts, especially from barn owners. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not a barn owner but I think if I were you and you’re worried about the relationship or the boarding spot going south, I’d go into the conversation ready to highlight how worried you were about the daughter’s safety. Even if really the largest part of your concern is your horse’s care (it would be for me), I’d really play up that you were worried about their daughter getting hurt and are really hoping she can have more training for her own safety. This is because they have already demonstrated that they don’t actually value your horse’s care enough to have a qualified, well-trained person doing this work, so asking them to value it more is pretty pointless. But you might get somewhere by leading with/focusing the conversation in a direction where they might be a little embarrassed not to agree with you.

41 Likes

I feel like by the time you are having these kinds of discussions with the property owner, you are on your way out eventually.

73 Likes

INFO:

How long has that hotwire been there?

Did the incident occur on NYE (fireworks) or some other time where there is a reasonable environmental reason (off schedule, weather, etc.) for your horse to have been “on edge”?

1 Like

Thanks.

I feel like the argument over whether daughter is incompetent or horse is spooky is not one you can really win or even resolve. We all have watched experienced horse people do the one thing that got them trampled by a normally calm horse. All horses are potentially spooky, and it’s not just newbies that get hurt.

Honestly I would just let go of this particular discussion which is setting both sides up to be defensive and blamey.

Did daughter really do anything that would have been dangerous minus the random hotwire spooking the horse?

Parents don’t like you monitoring their daughter. Finding a job for unemployable young adult daughter will trump a boarder nitpicking.

Ok just saw your last post. I expect that to the family you are looking like a concern troll.

If you seriously think your horse is at risk, you need to move. But the daughter is not your responsibility any more than any other incompetent temporary work the family hauls in. I think you need to step back and let her learn from experience.

31 Likes

The ship has sailed but honestly I wouldn’t have felt it necessary to email the BO about the incident. No harm came to horse or human and you had already discussed it with the adult daughter - 19 is not a child. She had probably already told her parents about it if she was so forthcoming with you.

I would also take into account that you sent this email during the holidays so they are probably extra tired and stressed and may have taken what you considered helpful advice as criticism of their parenting and barn keeping. So if you want to stay at this farm where you have been happy for years, I’d be prepared to backpedal by emphasizing safety concerns for the daughter and how much you love it there. To be safe you better start looking for a back up boarding situation in case things don’t go your way at the meeting.

44 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

Horses are pretty quick to learn where hotwire is usually so I’m surprised your horse hit it. He must have been upset for it to end that way.

It does sound like the daughter is under qualified and the likely cause of the incident. Though perhaps exacerbated by a poor design that prioritizes looks over function as far as the feed station.

I agree you should go into this meeting sweet as sugar concerns over daughter’s safety while deferring to BO’s “wisdom”. On your own time start barn shopping seriously. Possibly the situation will resolve quickly but equally possibly the situation deteriorates with the daughter. The daughter may not be a long term fixture in the barn work schedule or she might become more involved. You may need a backup barn.

My own horse is sensitive and his default is to spook when stressed, even though he is friendly and cooperative. He doesn’t do well handled by morons, which negatively impacts my enjoyment of him. So I wouldn’t be pleased to be in your shoes. And understand your concerns.

12 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!!

Complete sentence for Coth.

1 Like

I don’t understand the setup. Are horses being blanketed not haltered in a turnout with multiple horses present and food having just been fed in that same turnout area?!

That’s a recipe for an injury (horse or human) even if the human has “good energy” (what does that mean exactly?)

Or am I misunderstanding the setup here?

If this is how blanketing is done the problem goes much deeper than just this one 19 year old. That setup is just asking for chaos. Period. Even with an experienced person doing the blanketing.

46 Likes

If you want to stay, suck it up, apologize, whether you like or believe it, apologize, tell them that maybe you over-reacted (tired, holiday stress, whatever,) But, ask that they please halter your horse before handling her.

My friend lost her very nice horse when he spooked and took off with his blanket half on, tripped over it and broke his neck.

I’ve been flattened in the pasture by my own spooking horse while blanketing while they were eating.

Its just not a safe situation.

42 Likes

Same thought VXF…

1 Like

Thanks

Thanks

1 Like

There are truly countless ways horses and people can get into unsafe situations when interacting. Very experienced horse people get hurt all the time. Part of being a safe horse person is trying to mitigate risk and understanding how to process an incident to prevent a reoccurrence to the degree possible.

It was an accident that could have happened with an experienced person being careless. I think that if you had approached it from a “so glad everyone is okay. Going forward, can we ensure his feed pan is at least 10 feet inside of the hotwire so that if he shifts during blanketing everyone stays safe” it probably would have been a non-issue.

From their perspective, they have successfully run a barn for seven years and their daughter has successfully been handling horses and completing chores. An incident occurred that could have been really ugly and involved their child. After being a client for more than half a decade and seeing them as good friends you emailed them saying that their daughter needed more training or to be equipped to do ground work with client horses. I think that would make most people fairly defensive.

I think the only way to really make things work is to approach the conversation with a lot of humility, emphasize your desire to ensure everyone is safe, and ask how you can collaborate on next steps. Their response of taking a “kitchen sink” approach pulling up unrelated incidents over the years and icing you out shows a lack of professionalism and indicates that the way they move forward will be driven by emotion rather than a client/business dynamic.

27 Likes

yes BUT if they don’t see it as an unsafe practice, asking for a basic safe handling protocol can and will be seen as being a demanding client, overly cautious, or needing extra protocols because the horse isn’t safe.

Very few boarding barns halter for pasture blanket changes. It is a risky complacency that works until it doesn’t. However, if this barn has not done so for 7+ years for six months out of the year 1-2x/day across a property full of horses and has not come to the determination that it is an unsafe practice, a client requesting it will be seen as a client-specific issue rather than bringing awareness to a broader unsafe practice issue.

I say this as someone who has had to move barns for this exact reason because my horse was the problem rather than understanding that an unsafe practice was putting any horse and anyone handling a horse at risk.

15 Likes

I have been in a similar situation. It’s incredibly frustrating when you know your horse, know what makes for an unsafe situation around your horse, request that situation doesn’t happen so everyone stays safe, and still it happens, and someone gets hurt, and it’s somehow your fault.

5 Likes

This.

I also think you OP brought this up in a way that comes across badly and that the entire setup is unsafe and this could have happened to anyone. “More training” for the barn worker (family or no) is not the answer here.

That said, bringing it up and wanting to find a better solution is totally reasonable (can we halter the horses, tie to a non-electric fence, find a better setup, etc???), but I suspect your email came across as a bit rude and persnickety. Their response is also unprofessional, so as a boarder I think if you want to stay here and accept the risks of The Way They Do Things, you’ll need to smooth this over, apologize, and emphasize your concern for everyone’s safety.

The holidays can make people particularly twitchy and ungraceful. But cold shouldering someone over a poorly timed/worded email isn’t exactly best practice for a barn business, no matter how common.

9 Likes