Unlimited access >

Human-Equine Attachment Questionaire

What a really excellent point and observation.

2 Likes

My first thought when I read thru it, besides thinking of this thread, was as a teacher/trainer/coach you could use it as a way to improve your communication to your student. Especially if you’re having trouble getting thru to them.
I mean, we all know the most gifted teachers have a zillion ways of saying something until it clicks, right?

Which I guess is what she says towards the end
 (doh! read clear til the end dummy!) :joy:

Given that Colorado State has an excellent vet school that trained several of the best equine vets I’ve ever used, the woo-woo tone and apparent lack of hands-on horse experience surprises me!

There’s plenty of equine experts right there at the school who could have proofed this and made it relevant to actual adult owners. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

And I’m not saying it in a “you don’t understand” way - because a lot of horse owners DO understand the full range of work necessary in keeping horses, and therefore they choose to board so that they can have the “partnership” part of the relationship.

But the original survey sounded very much like what you would ask someone who shows up at a barn 1-2x a week, not someone that actually owns horses, let alone someone that is in a caretaker role. I suspect the majority of barn owners/managers have different opinions of a horse’s personality/temperament as the caretaker versus the rider. My daughter’s horse is (to most people) - inquisitive, personable, and tuned into humans. As a riding horse, she’s kind of brainless - meaning she listens and responds without a lot of evasions.

From a caretaker’s perspective - she’s nosy, bargy, unaware of her size. She’s the lead mare so she gets all the pets, treats, apples, brushing, etc. unless she’s stalled. And she’s kind of brainless, so she does a lot of stupid things like knock over full wheelbarrows, breaks doors trying to get into places she’s not allowed, reacts to other horses getting silly and can be a little dangerous (again because she’s big and unaware of it) etc.

The same qualities that make her a great “friend” and “partner” make her a really annoying horse to care for.

4 Likes

Ah. It’s quite possible Psychology never talks to Vet School, they are likely in different buildings, maybe different campuses. And there may be mutual distrust.

1 Like

I didn’t read the survey, because the “lease/rent” wording clued me into what was going to be asked. I think a large part of the chasm between the touchy feely crowd and (I guess I’ll use) us is that even a small to medium pony is a large animal that can hurt you.

No one wants to see anybody hurt, so naturally we react to something like this.

1 Like

I thought the survey was carefully crafted to get a certain result. Not a true measure of how horse people feel about, or relate to, their horse.

It’s sort of like asking a population of people which color they like better, pink or orange. They didn’t ask more broadly “what is your favorite color?” They will only get answers relating to pink and orange, because that’s all they asked about.

The questions present a narrow view of a human-horse relationship that excludes the ways most COTH adults have expressed the relationship.

Reading COTH threads indicates that this population is caring and compassionate with their horses. But also pragmatic and understanding of horse psychology, which is very different from human psychology. It is rare to read a thread on COTH that has much of the “my horse is my best friend, no one else understands me like he/she does“ emotion.

The fact that the survey is being plonked down in Internet horse forums also indicates to me that they are not really serious about it. They have no idea who are the people answering. Are they professionals, backyard horse owners, competitive amateurs, etc.

Probably a schooling show for freshmen psychology, students, as it were.

5 Likes

I liked the “I think of my horse as ‘my horse’” answer.

Horses are animals. They are wonderful amazing animals with thousands of years of history with us, but they remain animals. For almost the entirety of that history, the answer would have been “transportation” and “work animal”.

Because of what we ask them to do, we need to understand and communicate with them far more complexly than we do with, say, sheep. But it seems to me that the modern era of using animals as human substitutes is a weird one. Like so much of the modern era, really.

1 Like

The really wonderful thing about horses is that they aren’t people.

Much easier to make a horse happy than a person.

Horses are clear and immediate in their responses. You need to get on the horse wave length to be around them safely.

And while they talk a lot, both in words and gestures, it’s nothing like having to run the gauntlet of human small talk.

So yeah. I love them because they aren’t people which reduces chances to anthropomorphize except jokingly.

4 Likes