Unlimited access >

Hunter Class - is this tack illegal or unconventional?

To start with, I did read the illegal vs unconventional comment on the sticky.

I am a jumper competing in an open w/t/c flat hunter class at a schooling show. I cannot find info on which type of hunters; it’s not a rated show. The other classes I’m taking at the show are jumper classes. I have been told the flat class is a hunter class and goes by the hunter rules.

I plan to compete in the jumper classes wearing a hunter green coat, white show shirt, tan and brown full seat breeches, brown gloves, a belt, black tall field boots, a black GPA helmet, and roller ball spurs. My horse will be wearing a dark square pad (prob black with neutral trim), a rolled sheepskin half pad, a stubben “golden wings 4 way gag” (not a traditional gag bit) fixed on double reins (snaffle rein and gag rein), a figure 8 noseband, and open front jumping boots. If my horse is relaxed, I’ll ride without a noseband and on a single snaffle rein.

I don’t want to buy extra tack or attire for 1 flat class. I have a full cheek bit that I prefer not to use and a variety of loose ring snaffles that I wold like to use so long as they’re legal. I have a low quality sheepskin shaped pad that doesn’t fit my saddle very well, I would rather not use it. I would rather use just my halfpad, which is rolled in the front and back, if I can’t use my regular pads. I have white polo wraps. I have a caveson noseband.

So my main questions are:

Can I use the “stubben golden wings 4 way gag” on a double rein (snaffle and gag)?

If not, can I use it on just a snaffle rein?

If not, can I use a loose ring snaffle?

Can I use a neutral square pad and rolled (front and back) sheepskin half pad?

If not, can I use just the half pad?

Are white polo wraps legal?

What do I do with my hair? It won’t fit under my helmet.

ALSO - I didn’t realize this might be a problem - Are composite (plastic) black angled cheesegrater stirrups legal?!

Since it is a schooling show, it would be best to ask show management if they have any rules for tack/attire. I’ve seen some/all of those things allowed in the hunter ring at some schooling shows. Others require traditional equipment.

In general, what is illegal includes:

• gag bits (loose ring snaffle would be fine)
  • figure 8 noese band
  • boots or leg wraps of any kind

They question you have to ask first is why are you going in this class? Most of not all of what you described is, if not actually illegal (like wraps) at least extremely unconventional. At a schooling show you might not get kicked out of the flat class, although you certainly wouldn’t pin. If all you want to do is go around in a flat class for some reason than it doesn’t matter if you are disqualified as long as they don’t kick you out of the ring.

If you want to see how your horse goes “as a hunter” then you should use hunter tack.

If this is a small enough schooling show then no one might care about any of this.

So question one is why are you even doing this, and question two is how relaxed is this schooling show?

Since it’s a schooling show it’s really going to be up to the show organizer/judge. Some won’t care what you ride in and others will.

In general, what IPEsq said as well as a square saddle pad would be illegal.

No.

If not, can I use it on just a snaffle rein?
No.

If not, can I use a loose ring snaffle?
Yes.

Can I use a neutral square pad and rolled (front and back) sheepskin half pad?
No to the square pad, yes to the sheepskin.

If not, can I use just the half pad?
Yes.

Are white polo wraps legal?
Not for hunters.

What do I do with my hair? It won’t fit under my helmet.
Put it in a ponytail and stick it down your shirt.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862826]
No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Not for hunters.

Put it in a ponytail and stick it down your shirt.[/QUOTE]

ha . I love this post. I wish the last 2 could have been answered in 1 syllable responses. (yes, I am sick today so it isn’t take much to amuse me :slight_smile: )

[QUOTE=Pennywell Bay;8862832]
ha . I love this post. I wish the last 2 could have been answered in 1 syllable responses. (yes, I am sick today so it isn’t take much to amuse me :slight_smile: )[/QUOTE]

:wink: I mean I could do it. My REAL answer to “What should I do with my hair, it won’t fit in my helmet” is “Hairnets. Suffer.” but I am just trying to be nice. Ish. :lol:

I would add that at a schooling show (no idea how “schooling show” it is…there is certainly a lot of variation in the definition), a square pad in the hunters is not “illegal” just not conventional. I’ve been to many one day hunter shows where winners showed in a square pad (usually white)–my boy has gone in flat phase in one before.

Be clean and conservative in your attire, your bit questions have been answered, no martingales or boots/wraps on horse’s legs.

Pennywell Bay summed it up pretty well.

If you just want to flat your horse in a group setting just warm him up at the show, you can always ask to go unjudged, but I would still just use just the half pad, and no wraps. You do not want to draw attention to yourself in the class.

If you are wanting to see how your horse goes as a hunter, then as said above you should use legal bits, tack etc.

I know the schooling show in our area is governed by USEF Rules, and they also use either “R” or “r” judges in the hunter rings, so they would definitely penalize for illegal or unconventional tack.

My problem with the “it’s just a schooling show” or the “depends on what your goals are” is that if you go in the ring using unconventional tack, sometimes the judge will just excuse you from the ring completely.

I get that some people just want to take their horses for the experience of being at a horse show and being in the show ring, but that never makes much sense to me, you still have to pay entry fees and show fees…so why not go in, put your best foot forward, wear conventional hunter-approved tack, and be judged?

Just saying.

ETA: Ok I’m doing too many things at once right now. I’ve made some edits. And also - the loose ring is totally fine but not with bit guards or bit burrs.

[QUOTE=BLBSTBLS;8862852]
Pennywell Bay summed it up pretty well.

If you just want to flat your horse in a group setting just warm him up at the show, you can always ask to go unjudged, but I would still just use just the half pad, and no wraps. You do not want to draw attention to yourself in the class.

If you are wanting to see how your horse goes as a hunter, then as said above you should use legal bits, tack etc.

I know the schooling show in our area is governed by USEF Rules, and they also use either “R” or “r” judges in the hunter rings, so they would definitely penalize for illegal or unconventional tack.[/QUOTE]

Though I agree with your post, sadly I did not contribute anything of value but enjoy ybiaw’s almost flawless mono syllable response (in the spirit of niceness elaborated on some).

To no one in particular- no- we are not making fun of OP, this is not a pile-on. [said in response to some other threads where they call people internet bullies and meanie pants]

There are different levels of schooling shows. I’d find out from the management on any specifics. My easy answer is “ask management”. My personal preference is dress the part (but yes, I get not buying all new equipment for 1 show you may never participate in again. Then borrow from a friend- unless you are like me and are a bit/tack hoarder).

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862826]
No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Not for hunters.

Put it in a ponytail and stick it down your shirt.[/QUOTE]

This is super exact, thank you!!! One thing I did not realize might be a problem - I have black composite royal riders stirrups that are angled with cheesegrater pads. Is this illegal?

[QUOTE=Pennywell Bay;8862878]

There are different levels of schooling shows. I’d find out from the management on any specifics.[/QUOTE]

The prize list for said schooling show should clearly state whether it is held in accordance to USEF rules and guidelines.

[QUOTE=IlexOpaca;8862883]
This is super exact, thank you!!! One thing I did not realize might be a problem - I have black composite royal riders stirrups that are angled with cheesegrater pads. Is this illegal?[/QUOTE]

No.*

(*No, not for hunters. But yes for Equitation.)

Also - re: your white polo wrap question, I must expand on my nearly mono-syllabic answer with “for hunters, leg wraps or boots of any kind are not permitted.” No black polos. No hunter green polos. No open front boots. No brushing boots. No bell boots. Naked legs or GTFO. :wink:

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862884]
The prize list for said schooling show should clearly state whether it is held in accordance to USEF rules and guidelines.[/QUOTE]

You would think so- right? If it doesn’t- can we assume not?

True question, no snark BECAUSE- out here (granted we are not hunter central) they have some schooling shows that don’t have it (actually when I emailed about the prize list- the response was “we don’t give out prizes- just ribbons” after some confusion on my end apparently it can be called a show bill- which is a WHOLE 'nother meaning where I come from :slight_smile: )

I’m a jumpers girl myself and OP I’m still interested in why you are putting your horse in this flat class, myself. If you care to share.

Black stirrups are only illegal in equitation. Although, I just judged a schooling show last weekend where one rider had them in all classes, including equitation. This show series allows all kinds of unconventional, illegal, and casual tack and apparel, although I did have to ask one rider (via the trainer) who was going back and forth between the h/eq classes and the dressage classes not to jump with her dressage whip. Certain horse welfare related equipment rules I will enforce at that show (I believe the current USEF rule is no jumping with a whip of that length anywhere on the grounds) but otherwise, I allow unconventional/illegal tack/equipment/apparel, because management allows it.

[QUOTE=Pennywell Bay;8862894]
If it doesn’t- can we assume not? True question, no snark BECAUSE- out here (granted we are not hunter central) they have some schooling shows that don’t have it (actually when I emailed about the prize list- the response was “we don’t give out prizes- just ribbons” after some confusion on my end apparently it can be called a show bill- which is a WHOLE 'nother meaning where I come from :slight_smile: )[/QUOTE]

omfg.

I guess you can never really assume. But all the schooling shows I’ve ever taken a horse to have said “This show is held in accordance to USEF rules and regulations” right in the PL. Meh. IMO, always assume that it is. Like BLBLSLCTLCLKASJD (;)) said, usually the judges are R or r judges so they follow USEF rules & regs regardless.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862907]
omfg.

I guess you can never really assume. But all the schooling shows I’ve ever taken a horse to have said “This show is held in accordance to USEF rules and regulations” right in the PL. Meh. IMO, always assume that it is. Like BLBLSLCTLCLKASJD (;)) said, usually the judges are R or r judges so they follow USEF rules & regs regardless.[/QUOTE]

Same. Until I relocated for work. It was my “You’re not in Zone 2, anymore” moment. I felt like a jerk ( we don’t give out prizes). Now I am going to have to look up an upcoming hunter schooling and see what it says - just out of curiosity.

[QUOTE=Pennywell Bay;8862934]
Same. Until I relocated for work. It was my “You’re not in Zone 2, anymore” moment. I felt like a jerk ( we don’t give out prizes). Now I am going to have to look up an upcoming hunter schooling and see what it says - just out of curiosity.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha!!! Come on now, Zone 5 isn’t so bad. But compared to Zone 2…yeah, ok I get it. :lol: