Unlimited access >

I am considering buying a horse from John Wilkowski from up in PA, but I googled him.

http://articles.philly.com/1990-09-15/news/25875246_1_swamp-fever-equine-infectious-anemia-horse

Both Victim And Pariah Horse Farm Blamed For Virus’ Spread

John Wilkoski Jr. spit tobacco juice at the floor of his forsaken horse barn in rural Pineville at the center of Bucks County. “It seems that the people are so quick to turn their back on you,” he said in frustration this week.

Sixteen of the 17 horses that once occupied the stable have been sold for dog food or “put down” by lethal injection in recent days because they were infected with a deadly equine virus spread by biting flies and known as swamp fever.

[edit]

Gosh, this was 24 years ago. A lot of things have changed with Coggins regulations since 1990 because of this outbreak. He is actively selling and hunting with at least three hunts. I couldn’t even find this article when I googled his name followed by Horse, Barn, and Pennsylvania. IDK how you found it.

Something that happened in 1990? That would not deter me. I would try to find out here who has recently bought a horse from them.

I think lack of testing of his horses shows someone who is perhaps stretched beyond his means, at the expense of others–it really is unconscionable. Pulling a Coggins once a year should be SOP if you have a horse (or pony) even if you don’t show or go to clinics–it’s just good horsekeeping. It helps to protect others and that alone should spur one into doing it-- just part of being a good citizen.

I’ve never dealt with this guy but just his attitude, and failure to accept responsibility for his part in the EIA outbreak is enough to make me disinclined to interact with him.

As Maya Angelou so eloquently put it, “When someone shows you who they are the first time* believe them.”

John and his wife seem to have nice horses with legitimate hunt experience. I looked at a horse they had several years ago and certainly didn’t see any red flags. That is like a sad story, but happened long ago. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a horse from them (although they are usually priced out of my range!).

[QUOTE=Cherry;7721971]
I think lack of testing of his horses shows someone who is perhaps stretched beyond his means, at the expense of others–it really is unconscionable. Pulling a Coggins once a year should be SOP who [/QUOTE]

This was OVER 20 years ago. You can not apply knowledge NOW and SOP now…with what it was then. We know more now. Back then…most did NOT pull coggis every year or even vaccinate. They were not bad horsemen because of it.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;7722010]
This was OVER 20 years ago.[/QUOTE]
It is truly amazing how much things have changed in 20 years.

Forty (40) years ago we had EIA outbreaks in my area and all responsible horse owners were testing annually, it was just part of our horsekeeping regime.

I’d be a little bit concerned and would thoroughly vet them.

[QUOTE=Marla 100;7722034]
Forty (40) years ago we had EIA outbreaks in my area and all responsible horse owners were testing annually, it was just part of our horsekeeping regime.

I’d be a little bit concerned and would thoroughly vet them.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps after you have gone through an outbreak but there are a lot of folks who still to this day do not. Scary as that is.

Point being…I wouldn’t judge someone by something like this that happened 20+years ago when they were 19. That is just ridiculous. If they have a nice horse, you go a look at it…and find out about their reputation TODAY. And if their reputation selling horses isn’t terrible…you do a PPE on the horse you like with a vet that you choose.

I’m sorry but 1990 was not exactly the dark ages when it comes to “pulling” annual Coggins test and giving annual vaccinations as matter of course. I’m 58 and can’t remember in my professional career not having Coggins on file for every horse in my care and or management. Along with complete vaccination records. It was and is done as a matter of course the same as giving “hay, oats and water” daily.

Would I hold it against this person? Absolutely not I am sure he paid dearly for the mistake. Given the fact that he is still in business goes a long way in my book. You can only get away with BS for so long in the horse world.

yes gumtree but you were involved with race horses. Where that was a common requirement. It also was common for those of us competing horses (in more than just local shows). But I do think lots of more backyard operations, it was not SOP 20 years ago like it is now. I can remember vets not pushing it unless the horse was traveling.

But my point was really more that I wouldn’t hold it against someone in this situation since it happened so long ago. It isn’t like they committed fraud in selling horses…directly related the OPs interest in such person.

First of all , this is John Wilkoski (Bucks County ) My family is in Morgantown, PA .Every horse in my barn (9) has a current negative coggins test.I am very curious who the poster of this incorrect information is . I do not have any horses currently for sale .

After further investigating “Rockbridge” the “OP” of this article, I have found that it is Jonathan D. Martin , who continues to make threats ,both verbally ,written and physical ones against my family . Posting a 24 year old article on COTH , that has NOTHING to do with us , is of course, in retaliation to me posting about my personal experience (when asked ) on COTH about the threats he made to my teenage daughter and myself . I would expect nothing less from him …If anyone would like to read an article about" us" , I would suggest the one written by DVM Liz Arbittier ,who blogs for the Chronicle and bought a lovely young horse from us .

[QUOTE=gumtree;7722258]
I’m sorry but 1990 was not exactly the dark ages when it comes to “pulling” annual Coggins test and giving annual vaccinations as matter of course. I’m 58 and can’t remember in my professional career not having Coggins on file for every horse in my care and or management.[/QUOTE]

Well, I am 60, and I CLEARLY remember when the Coggins test first came out. I lived in an area (southern NY) where EIA was not common. I remember MANY highly reputable horseman who adamantly refused to have their horses tested. Those in the hunt field were some of the most adamant.

By 1990, the need for Coggins tests was more widely accepted.

But somethng that happend 25 years ago, and may not even involve the same people, is just mudslinging.

[QUOTE=Thebiggray;7722567]
After further investigating “Rockbridge” the “OP” of this article, I have found that it is Jonathan D. Martin , who continues to make threats ,both verbally ,written and physical ones against my family . Posting a 24 year old article on COTH , that has NOTHING to do with us , is of course, in retaliation to me posting about my personal experience (when asked ) on COTH about the threats he made to my teenage daughter and myself . I would expect nothing less from him …If anyone would like to read an article about" us" , I would suggest the one written by DVM Liz Arbittier ,who blogs for the Chronicle and bought a lovely young horse from us .[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek: Wow, Jonathan, how low can you go? Sorry this happened to you, John, and like I said, I would not hesitate to buy a horse from you. They all sound lovely.

Anyone who wanting a reference of our horses may contact , Olympic Team Vet Dr,Brendan Furlong (he has 3 hunters ) World Champion Driver Suzy Stafford ,Cynthia Brickley Elysian Hills, DVM Liz Abittier ,New Bolton Center … Just to name a few.

We DID buy a horse from John. Lovely draft cross for us to ride and drive. Turns out in the end he wasn’t right for us, but was a nice horse, as advertised and went on to another home where he became a VERY successful hunter pace horse. He and his new owner couldn’t have been happier with the match

Realized this might read as he wasn’t suitable for driving. He was. Just not a good match for short-legged riders and round backed horse. New owner had no interest in driving or she would have had a great ride/drive horse

Article is very old and without continuing similar info I would not consider it - and now having read it’s possible source, from a disgruntled someone - well… enough said.

[QUOTE=Thebiggray;7722733]
Anyone who wanting a reference of our horses may contact , Olympic Team Vet Dr.Brendan Furlong (he has 3 hunters ) World Champion Driver Suzy Stafford ,Cynthia Brickley Elysian Hills, DVM Liz Arbittier ,New Bolton Center … Just to name a few… Many Thanks , John , Patricia and Rachel Wilkoski Morgantown, PA

[QUOTE=Thebiggray;7722567]
If anyone would like to read an article about" us" , I would suggest the one written by DVM Liz Arbittier ,who blogs for the Chronicle and bought a lovely young horse from us .[/QUOTE]

That is a really nice young horse too. Liz is clearly smitten with him too!

The abject cruelty of the OP is beyond comprehension. Mr. Wilkoski, I am truly sorry for what you have gone through.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, but I just realized you work on my horses’ feet. My hunter show filly has the best feet because of you. Your excellence encourages her best movement and the judges have shown their appreciation. Now it is time for mine. Thank you…