I bought a pony! Meet Lola

It is tough buying a horse when you are older and more breakable. Too easy to fall for the pretty face and believe you can work through issues.

A friend who used to show H/J had her horses age out and hadn’t ridden for a while. Then, when she was 72, bought a 17 hand green horse. It has not gone well.

I am on my second registered Morgan (had one partbred too) Partbred had been mishandled and was a nervous wreck on trails at first. Once he relaxed he turned into a super trail horse - alone or in group. Dont know that I would want to work through it now. Last Morgan could be spooky in the ring but became solid on trails and willing to go it alone. Current boy is spicy and talented for dressage. I havent had the opportunity to do more than walk around the property (no trails) but he does go away from the other horses alone and isnt upset. Obviously trail riding is not my focus (though I may switch stables and be able to get him out!)

Hopefully you can find a horse to lease that is happy to go out on trails alone. IME, it is more likely to be a gelding. And if you buy again, you need to be able to walk down the trail in your trial ride and day one at home.

I would forget about breed and concentrate on training and performance on the trail. Hope you can find a great partner. You never know. The steadiest trail horse I knew was an Arabian!

5 Likes

findeight, I know this. My comment was not directed at the OP, she also knows this. It was only in reference to DE’s horse Roxy.

1 Like

@quietann I totally understand your thinking.
My mare passed away 3 years ago (OTTB, I retrained her myself, 25 years ago) and I came to terms with the fact that I probably won’t own another horse. Mostly due to the way my life is now, lots of traveling. Part-owning with someone I trust who knows what they are doing, half leasing, might be an option if /when the right horse comes along. In the meantime I have been riding other horses, TB, WB, Morgan etc and it’s been fun, but it makes me miss my mare even more! Like you I like a friendly, responsive, supple horse with a good attitude. I don’t mind hot, spicy, to a certain point. I can still stick antics, but I really don’t want to! I don’t want to take on a “problem” horse, or train a green one from scratch anymore.I don’t bounce so well anymore :wink:
I just need to ride from time to time so I don’t get rusty lol, and I bide my time.
Good luck to you and I hope you will find a horse that suits you!

3 Likes

How is she doing?

1 Like

Rehabbing. She is a bit less lame not that she was super lame to start with. But bored and gets very reactive when ridden. I’m not riding her at this time but the trainer is. She was very good handwalking this morning.

Still sweet. Still 99% sure I need to sell her.

5 Likes

What happened to the people who offered to buy her previously?

2 Likes

Um… there are one or two who said that around the time I bought her but that’s it. I can get back in touch with them when I see how sound she will be. She is not a throwaway horse.

6 Likes

Today I didn’t do much with her. Gave her some Outlast as a snack - she loves it - and then she wanted to be social, over the fence. I just rubbed her head, poll, and ears, and she wanted to groom me back… And was not nippy, so it was OK. I think she would be much happier living in a herd, and that option may be available at some point.

4 Likes

Reaching through the fence to say hi yesterday. I really haven’t done enough just sitting with her. Lola was definitely more in grooming mode than nipping mode.

She’s getting a little Ace for riding now, after a difficult, spooky week. I’m on her once or twice a week, walking for 20 to 30 minutes. Also handwalking some. With the Ace, she feels nice - forward, alert, but her brains stay in her head. Mostly just don’t want her spooking and reinjuring herself.

Still unsure of her future.

8 Likes

February is the worst! The light has changed and all those new shadows are spooky! I hope she can get to spring without reinjuring herself,

4 Likes

Forgive me if I’m repeating something mentioned before (I’ve kept up with the thread from the beginning but can’t remember if this was mentioned or not). Would something like Animed’s Via Calm help Lola? I’ve used it during “scary” situations for a couple of our horses, and it took the edge off of their nerves nicely. I’ve ridden horses out on trail with the benefit of Ace, too, and the effects seem similar. Not necessarily sleepy, but not ready to bolt at butterflies either.

1 Like

My dorky 21 year old, “drunk-broke” (I was told that when I got him - if you fall off drunk, he’ll stop and wait for you - not that I get drunk and ride him, came from “cowboy” riders), gelding, gets the snorts this time of year every year. I’ve had him since he was 7. Stands in his stall and snorts at his hay. 'Tis the season! :laughing:

7 Likes

She is getting Quiessence, at half the usual dose. Is supposed to help with calming, and easy keeper issues. My older mare has been on a half dose for years. Via-calm adds a bit more; I may look into it. In general, Lola is pretty sensible, but when her brains fall out of her head, they really fall out of her head. I rode through a lot of this with the older mare, but I was much younger when I bought her (44 vs. 59, turning 60 in 3 weeks.)

I would not be 100% against Ace-ing her for trail work, when we are able to do that again. (Usual caveats: if I keep her, if she’s sound enough for it, etc.)

Mine too. :woman_facepalming: Ugh

We’ve got a new roll-up door going on the indoor arena tomorrow. Thats going to be fun.

4 Likes

Oh my. Good luck with that…

I understand exactly where you’re at. I’m in my fifties now, and the type of horse that I’m comfortable on in my fields at home by myself is not the same type that I felt good on fifteen years ago in an arena with a trainer standing by to rescue me if needed.

Agreed, though I actually rode Feronia without a trainer’s assistance from the start… not as often at first, but over time more and more. I wanted to trail ride and could not always find someone to go with. My husband came along on foot sometimes – he was so helpful because he’s like valium for horses. Not a horse person, just a very mellow guy. Our early rides out could get a bit wild… especially the amount of riding down the (quiet) road we did. I extended the distance from the barn very gradually, but probably would have taken things even slower, in retrospect.

Could I do the same with Lola? Probably. If I went very, very slowly and interspersed the solo rides with a lot of rides with a buddy. I just don’t really want to be the one to do that training now.

7 Likes

If you can it’s worth seeing what she’s like in spring and summer. My guy actually loves to trail ride by himself but when you move him it takes at least 5-6 months for him to be totally settled to ride out on his own. I build him up in really small increments. In addition Jan and Feb are ring months. It’s winter the weather is wonky and he’s just spooky. Once you hit spring he’s like a different horse.

If a buyer tried him in winter or at a new farm they’d call me a liar. If they tried him in summer at his farm he’s been at for awhile they’d be able to happily go hack out all of the trails by themselves.

9 Likes

Winter horse and summer horse are not the same!

5 Likes