I bought a pony! Meet Lola

Over 60 years ago I remember reading a book by Margaret Cabell Self, sorry I don’t remember which book, where she said that ALL her horses had different summer and winter personalities.

Her riding school was in Maine so the differences between the seasons might be more clear, as in there is no doubt that it is cold and could stay cold for months. I always remembered that and when I got my own horses I kept it in mind, that I might have a few weeks at the beginning of cold weather where the horse and I might have to renegotiate what is acceptable behavior, from both of us.

Even though I live in NC where the difference between summer and winter are a lot less than in Maine in the 1950s and 1960s.

I have no idea of how our current global climate change will affect this. During the winter if we have a week or two of warm weather and then the polar vortex comes to visit us, will we have several of these behavior changes during the winter? First–hey its winter, then–hey, is it spring yet, to oh no, winter is back with a vengeance!

2 Likes

I continue to be guardedly amused by Spring personality. Spring personality is when the horse starts looking up and around again after winter, and finds that familiar things have become agents of the apocalypse. This includes water troughs that have been cleaned, other horses not in the exact same spot in their paddock when you hack back from the field as the horses were when you were hacking out to the field, and flying dinosaurs (by which I mean, chickadees).

8 Likes

Dear Lola did some serious airs above the ground after I turned her out on Saturday (no Ace because I hand walked her.)

Interesting observation: we are handwalking in the indoor. I’ve been lazy a few times and not switched to one of her rope halters, and she’s better behaved in the leather halter. She’s pretty sensitive so maybe the rope ones feel like “too much”? More likely with the pink one as it has 2 extra nose knots. The green one is the same kind as I use for my older mare, and is very gentle.

2 Likes

Hm. But they have Winter and Fall personalities, too. Only Summer is steady, but that’s probably because it’s hot and they’re too busy dealing with bugs to notice anything else.

I do think that Lola might have been easier had we met in May instead of October.

Ah yes, the Spring personality.

Every single year at Springtime my Anglo-Arab suddenly remembered that he was HALF TB, bred to RUN.

Spring, on him, was the time for some exciting gallops, then it ended and his brain came back online until Springtime the next year.

1 Like

Lola is cleared for straight line trotting! Vet is quite pleased by her progress. I’ll get to trot her late tomorrow afternoon.

16 Likes

Yay…sounds like you may have benefitted from the little, involuntary break here and are looking forward to working with her?

Since shes straight line trot only, might want to give her a little something so she doesn’t get ambitious, fly around a corner or two and set herself back 6 weeks. I learned that the hard way.

Yikes. But yes, I am still using Ace when riding her. Started about 2 weeks ago when she was getting a bit nutty. She is bored with the indoor. But gets nervous outside her small bubble, which has gotten smaller, when outdoors. If she wasn’t hurt, I’d ask the barn to put her in one of the paddocks near the road for a few hours a day so she could get over whatever it is about the road that is now bothering her. There are several adjoining paddocks, all with mares. Only the largest is right by the street, and that one has a Fearless Leader type mare in it. My little lady needs friends!

1 Like

Shanti? She is definitely a fearless leader.

Shanti is, in fact, the Fearless Leader out front!

So vet is ok with trotting ovals, using the entire arena and not going into the corners. One to two laps, then take a walk break. Lola was pretty rushy tonight, so she got two laps in one direction, and one lap in the other direction. We have a rehab plan and vet will recheck in 4 weeks.

3 Likes

Hm. Decisions to make. The most immediate is… hackamore or bit? Lola has always been a bit chomper, and I am not invested enough to try any of the $$$ bits suggested to me elsewhere (none of which are returnable as far as I can tell.) The trainer says she’s much more relaxed in the hackamore, although she was fine for bridling with a bit. It’s a Little S if anyone is wondering. She’s harder to “put together” in it, but happier.

Her teeth were done in November and I’ll probably have them done in April, even though the vet may just say they’re fine.

(It was really amusing when I first switched to the hackamore; she’d start chomping and then go “hey, there is nothing to chomp on here!” and stop. Silly pony.)

1 Like

My mare is Arab/Welsh with maybe a little Paint thrown in there somewhere, and she has a delicate face and small mouth (and very sincere opinions about bits, in general). Depending on the day, I’ll use a jumping hackamore (not technically a hackamore) like the Tory one, a Dr. Cook crossunder bridle, or a sidepull noseband with a Thinline lining. I tried a star wheel hackamore on her at one point, but she wasn’t terribly fond of the poll pressure, or it confused her - I could never determine which it was. With a bit, she is fussy and a completely different temperament. Without one, she can concentrate and settle, even when she’s hormonal or skittish because of weather, neighboring cows, etc… (FWIW, I have very light hands and am used to riding in bitted bridles, but this mare has made it very clear that bits are NOT HER THING.) It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it might make for Lola.

1 Like

The Little S does have poll pressure, but is mild as shanked hackamores go. The only thing is it really needs shorter cheekpieces, but the ones on it are pony size so I’m not sure how much smaller I can go. This is a photo of my older mare, who has a bigger head, in the pony cheekpieces.

1 Like

Feronia is beautiful! Is the crownpiece pony sized also?

No, the crown piece is probably cob size, and the browband full size for her big brain. She’s still pretty in retirement at almost 26, as opposed to 21 when that photo was taken.

11 Likes

Gorgeous! May we all age that well! :heart_eyes: Maybe a pony sized crown with ample, bigger browband would make the Little S fit Lola, or if she really likes a hackamore set up, would something like the Zilco flower wheel be shorter? I’ve never had one to measure, so I’m not sure. https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Zilco_Flower_Hackamore/descpage-ZFH.html Thank you for the lovely photos - such a nice way to start my day off!

1 Like

Heck, work Lola in what she is comfortable in. Shes rehabbing not learning to come through or any advanced collection. Just ride and put the time into her. No worries.

6 Likes

I own one and would be happy to let you use it if you thought it would help. I also have the Orbitless and the LG. And a Nutural Bitless bridle. My current ride needs a bit but I have a full scope of bitless alternatives.

1 Like

So… an announcement. Barring any really weird circumstances, Lola is going home to her breeder to be pasture boarded for a while (at 1/5 the cost of her current board.)

I have a lot of chaos in my life right now, mostly due to poor decisions on my part WRT my job (and some serious miscommunication or lack of communication on the part of various supervisors, but seriously it’s 90% me.) Knowing that she is somewhere safe and affordable will be helpful.

She’s not leaving until mid to late April, after spring shots etc. She may or may not be for sale, but her breeder gets a lot of inquiries and is very careful about who gets to have her horses. If a good match came up (braver and lighter than me, for starters), I’d sell her.

I’m going to have some fun with Lola in the meantime, just get the pressure off and enjoy who she is.

34 Likes

In the meantime if anyone knows of a good commercial shipper who travels from New England to Michigan, near Flint, let me know.

2 Likes