I bought a pony! Meet Lola

And here is my Old Lady Mare again. We went a bit further on today’s walk, and she was quite speedy going home, but polite about it, mostly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/niyW9icKVt9CkyYP9

3 Likes

Another great Lola photo. Such a little poser! I’m going to miss her.

25 Likes

Going to miss Lola updates. Hoping for the best for you as well as for Lola!

4 Likes

Lola has made the first part of her journey. She settled in quickly with Auntie Jewel, who very quickly let Lola know who’s in charge. Lola will spend the night here. DH and I are staying at a hotel in the next town over, and I will see her off very early tomorrow.

22 Likes

:musical_note: “Her name was Lola, she was a show girl…” :musical_note:

I’m glad things are working smoothly. I hope you aren’t very fond of your job. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I just caught up with Lola and your story - I’m so sorry I missed it until now. The job, the pony, that’s so much to deal with in a short time. The good news is that we all get through these bumps, even when things seem pretty rough but that can be little consolation while you’re slogging through it.

Thinking of you both!

3 Likes

Lola is on the road to Michigan with Auntie Jewel. Yes I cried a bit and will miss her, but I know she’s going to good temporary home.

Oh I could use a recommendation of a good donkey sanctuary. Jewel’s owner did not ask me to pay for keeping Lola, and I’d like to make a donation in her name. She has 2 adorable mini-donks…

20 Likes

The Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue

https://donkeyrescue.org/

1 Like

Save your ass long ear rescue in NH

1 Like

Visiting the Old Lady after Lola left. Lola’s breeder sent me a text when they got home last night. Both mares fine, everyone very tired.

Feronia isn’t being affectionate; she’s looking for treats!

27 Likes

I’m so sorry it didn’t work out with Lola. Feronia is looking great! You wouldn’t know she’s an old lady.

Rebecca

4 Likes

Lola’s very happy with her new home. She wants to meet aaalllllll the other horses.

As long as I can afford it, this may be her permanent home.

(Don’t worry; Miss Easy Keeper will not be out on grass most of the time.)

13 Likes

21 Likes

Aww, I’m sorry she didn’t work out for you but she looks happy in her new digs.

2 Likes

Her breeder says she’s still jumping for joy. They went out with the other horses today and all is going well. Auntie Jewel is very attached to her and following her around wondering why she’s so happy.

I do wonder if some of the problems I had with her were management issues. She’s full of energy, and 30 to 60 minutes of riding while otherwise living solo in a small paddock was obviously not enough to take care of it.

18 Likes

That is so often the case with younger horses. I’m sure that you are right.

13 Likes

It’s way too hard to find good turnout in the Boston area.

3 Likes

She turned 9 on Saturday, but acts much younger. Even her breeder says she’s more like a 4 year old.

2 Likes

I agree. This may be the end of my horsekeeping as long as I’m here, because I’m just seeing the benefit of big turnout and herd living. I am, in fact, turning into one of those Friends Freedom Forage nuts! Or I get a weekend warrior type horse and board it 1 to 2 hours away, so it can live in a herd.

2 Likes

Some horses just don’t mature until way later. I’ve got an 8 year old here that I’m fairly sure will be mature when he’s 20 (he just now seems like he is 3-4), and a 11 year old that matured so much over the last year that I finally sighed a sigh of relief because he is a normal horse instead of a baby.

I think as we age too, we start to enjoy older horse behavior :slight_smile: I think 12-18 is a REALLY nice sweet spot for equine maturity. Not elderly yet, just mature enough to not be stupid!

6 Likes