I bought a pony! Meet Lola

I have been EXTREMELY lucky to have found “backyard” type barns that have great turnout. Typically, no ring and certainly no indoor (they’ve all been fields with run in sheds), but they are getting harder to find. Especially after Covid there have been more non horse people buying the old horse properties and removing the barns and closing down trail access. My new TB would go nuts without room to stretch his legs. Although he was a bust on the track, he thinks he’s Secretariat in the fields.

4 Likes

Completely agree. Particularly with smaller breeds that have longer useful lifespans.

1 Like

Some of that is the economics of board too. We have a small horse property with decent turnout (no indoor) and a ring, but people don’t want to pay good care prices for fewer amenities in order to make it worth the hassle. It’s ok, it’s their (potential boarders’) loss, but there’s a cost factor that is pricing these smaller backyard facilities out of the game. So every time I see people lamenting care at the cheaper facilities, or saying “I just need x” I’m kind of like…well…shrug (not you - just a more general statement)

2 Likes

I believe it. I am in a co-op situation and have been for the past 20 years. Most people don’t understand how much work goes into care and how much $$ goes into maintenance. Personally, I’m glad to do the work, buy the hay and grain, and feed because I appreciate having the ability to control all the variables. And, for most of the time, the co-op situation has been within 15 minutes of where I live.

4 Likes

To be fair, for many working people in many places having a horse without an indoor arena means that they’d only be able to ride on weekends, weather permitting. I’ve done it with good outdoor ring lights until the ground has frozen solid, but that’s a deal breaker for many people.

1 Like

Oh I get it - it’s just an expectations mismatch.

1 Like

I’m paying lowest four figures for Feronia’s board now. No indoor, but 24/7 turnout with a shed, the only thing I’d change is more space for her. The care is excellent. But very few will pay over $1000/month for a retiree.

I can’t do co-op board due to my hand issues and work schedule; otherwise I’d love it!

3 Likes

I totally get it, and am definitely not poking at you - it’s just tough!

The only reason I can do this is because I have my own business, work from home, and live close to where my horse is boarded. In the winter, it’s tough to squeeze in riding time, but I can because I have so much control over my schedule.

2 Likes

I think I’ll be able to keep giving Lola updates. Her breeder just loves her so much, and knows how much I care about her.

The current report is that she and her traveling companion, Jewel, are very bonded. Jewel was the boss at first, but Lola has taken that role now - but she is very gentle, and Jewel just follows her around. They share a small paddock and shed at night, and go out with the main herd during the day. When out with the herd, Lola “airs up” and struts and plays, and clearly loves her new living situation.

The breeder is considering breeding Jewel, because she’s from a truly golden cross of her now-gelded palomino stallion and a deceased broodmare who was one of her favorites. All the foals from this cross sold for good prices… which meant none were retained. And now she has one. Jewel is exquisitely beautiful. She is hot, but in a good, show Morgan way.

(I’ve already said that I don’t want Lola bred, if anyone is wondering.)

I should have more photos soon.

16 Likes

Looking forward to more updates. It’s great to hear that she’s happy in her new situation!

2 Likes

Photos! She is doing so well.

Meanwhile… my job situation is tough. I’m meeting the goals a lot better, but far from 100% of the time. Some of this is my own quirks, e.g. there was a meeting on Wednesday that I hadn’t finished preparing for, but I felt like I had to do it… only to be told by my supervisor that I could have canceled it. This whole thing is hitting my deep perfectionist streak hard. I am the kind of perfectionist who is never close to perfect and get all hung up in that.

But at least Lola is safe and happy.

22 Likes

Not much to report on Lola, except that she was quite upset when the breeder took Jewel away to ride her. They are the best of friends.

Went walking with the old lady today over to Groton Place, which was the stomping grounds of the Groton Hunt until it ceased operations in 1964. It is the part of Spring where Feronia loses some of her good manners, because there is Grass! Everywhere! And like any good Morgan, she needs to eat it All Right Now Before It Goes Away.

27 Likes

Glad to hear Lola is doing well in her new place! I’m sorry about the job situation. That kind of stress sucks.

1 Like

Latest Lola update…

Actually, a me update first. Today is my last day at my job. I struggled and improved, but giving me a “Performance Improvement Plan” with a high stakes decision at the end just broke me. D-date was supposed to be next Friday, but they offered me a voluntary separation, and I decided to take it. The biggest benefit to me is that I will be eligible for unemployment benefits, but honestly, I am taking a couple of months off because I’m exhausted.

There’s a little bit of schadenfreude here, but this was not a decision that everyone I worked with agreed with, by a longshot. If I’d stepped outside of the official administrative structure and spoken to the right people in March, things could have been very different. I am leaving with a tentative offer from someone I work with who is not employed by the company – should I wish to take it, and not until late summer at the earliest. We are staying in touch.

29 Likes

Sorry to hear that, but sometimes the stress of impending doom is worse than the doom itself. I hope that will be the case for you, and that you will have a soft landing.

7 Likes

And as for Lola … no new photos but she is settling in.

But the breeder describes her as “sad” right now, because her best friend Jewel is off at the repro vet being prepared for breeding (she is a 14 year old maiden.) And poor Lola hasn’t really integrated into the herd, which has some very bossy mares. Anne (her breeder) says she doesn’t have any bite marks, so that’s good, but when a mean mare flattens her ears and lunges at Lola, Lola just doesn’t know what to do. She will move away but a lot of times just stands there. It’s clear she really just wants to be friends with everyone; she bosses Jewel around when Jewel is there, but it’s pretty benign. Lola gets her hay separately so she doesn’t get run off it.

With the humans, however, she’s clearly a favorite. Kids love her, and she loves them back, and the woman I mentioned who had lost her pony comes over almost every day to spend time with Lola.

I am hoping to visit her sometime in the next few months.

16 Likes

I’m so sorry it has come to this. Jingling for the right opportunity at the right time, when you are ready.

Hugs,
Rebecca

4 Likes

I got lucky! Anne posted a photo of Lola trying to get to these girls. She’s adorably filthy and fuzzy.

19 Likes

I’m sorry, Anne. The stress of having a job go bad is really unpleasant. I hope you get to relax a bit and enjoy the spring weather then ease into a more compatible work arrangement.

Many years ago, I felt like my job was slipping through my fingers for reasons I couldn’t really identify. I asked my boss if I was at risk. He said no, then fired me a week later. In retrospect, leaving that job was the best thing that could have happened to me, but it was miserable at the time.

15 Likes